Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For the life of me I can't decide on whether I want a 7mm-08 or a 6.5 Creedmoor for my next rifle to put together. Then there's the decision of ~ Do I go with a lightweight easy carry rifle or a heavier longer barreled rifle??? Decisions ... Decisions.

.... this thread is helping me lean a certain direction on my choice of chambering at least

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Easy carry, by more than a nose.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
GSPfan, that rifle is simply outstanding.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
For the life of me I can't decide on whether I want a 7mm-08 or a 6.5 Creedmoor for my next rifle to put together. Then there's the decision of ~ Do I go with a lightweight easy carry rifle or a heavier longer barreled rifle??? Decisions ... Decisions.

.... this thread is helping me lean a certain direction on my choice of chambering at least

The 7mm08.....kills like a 6.5 Creedmoor with slightly superior "recoil" smile

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 01/11/17.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Trystan

The 7mm08.....kills like a 6.5 Creedmoor with slightly superior RECOIL! smile

Trystan

Recoil seems to effect me in certain instances(not afraid to admit it) ... only reason I'm having problems making a final decision

Last edited by RickyBobby; 01/11/17.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by battue

You old farts are always complainin' about rifle weight. Why don't you do some workouts so you can carry a man's rifle? .338 WM, walnut stock, 26" barrel at a minimum, so you can reach out with enough retained energy and knockdown power.

There's a workout thread on the backpacking forum, you need to get with the program.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Trystan

The 7mm08.....kills like a 6.5 Creedmoor with slightly superior "recoil" smile

Trystan

That's funny, but true...

They both kill well, the 7-08 kicks a bit more...

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

If there's any concern on the 7mm-08 recoil, split the difference and get a .260 Rem. wink

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I love my 7mm-08, built on a Mauser action, Douglas air gauge barrel, Keplinger single set trigger and a hand finished fancy walnut stock. And yes it is a shooter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like my 7-08 Mtn Rifle. Worked well for me on deer and black bear. Easy to carry, shoot and load for. Can't really see much in NA it wouldn't do, given good bullets.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Forgot the pic

Attached Images
20170105_185209.jpg (53.07 KB, 170 downloads)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by basdjs

If there's any concern on the 7mm-08 recoil, split the difference and get a .260 Rem. wink

Love my 260s also. I have not seen an appreciable difference in recoil or killing ability, each spitting NABs.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The Good?
(long list here:)
Good accuracy
easy to load for
light recoil
powder miser
seems to kill out of proportion
Short action

The Bad?
(Short list here:)
Factory ammunition not quite as common as the parent 308 Win

The Ugly?
So easy to load for, that it is hard to look past a 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip and 43 grains of Varget.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smokepole

You old farts are always complainin' about rifle weight. Why don't you do some workouts so you can carry a man's rifle? .338 WM, walnut stock, 26" barrel at a minimum, so you can reach out with enough retained energy and knockdown power.

There's a workout thread on the backpacking forum, you need to get with the program.

Workout thread? Ya right. Checked in there one time and some poster was going on and on about his glutes. Then he called somone else creepy.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Wow, I see what you did. You really went out of your way to work my glutes into the conversation, again. It's unhealthy, drop it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I put this Ruger American 7mm-08 together this year. Bought it 2 years ago with a LEO discount from Sportsmans Warehouse. Tried Talley rings on a Burris Fullfield ii 3-9x. Friend wanted the scope so I pulled it only to find tube damage from the Talley rings, so rings had to go also. It shot 1" with Federal Fusion 140gn which uses the speer hot core bullet i believe. Decided this summer to send the action to morgan at Class III in Dallas for a barrel cut-back and rethread. Added a Redfield Revenge Accushoot reticle 3-9x mounted in a DNZ one piece ring base. Very solid! It's now 18.5" long, threaded 1/2-28 with a special ordered 1/2-28 .30 cal ASR 3 prong suppressor mounting platforn. It's a handy gun now, easy to carry and very compact without a can attached. I have debated selling it twice, no big takers either time. I even have a second olive green stock for it if needed.
[Linked Image]

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Lol grin

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Cotis, Federal uses their own version of a bonded bullet in the Fusion ammo, not a Speer Hot-Cor. From the language used on their website, it looks like it's a plated bullet. They market it as the jacket and core being molecularly "fused", hence the name Fusion. I don't know if Speer makes the bullet or not

Didn't mean to derail the thread. Everyone can go back to loving/hating the 7-08 now.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Common,a real mans rifle would be a 4 bore. shocked

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

For me, I think the 7-08 is a slightly superior clambering for truly "big" big game. For a deer rifle I'd go 6.5 I think...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 10Glocks, 808outdoors, 21, 1973cb450, 12 invisible), 1,547 guests, and 690 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.