Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
For your edification:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Good article, how old is it?

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Article is from mid-late 1980's.

Finn died in 2000. I believe the last eight or ten years of his life he became pretty much a die-hard 308 user.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Good cartridges, hard to beat for deer size game

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I could tell it was old. I first noticed the 7mm-08 in the 99 but still have never saw one in the flesh.

Thanks for putting it up.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can remember reading that article in print when I was in high school. I must be getting old! cry

Brad,
Thanks for posting! Now I 'need' a 7mm rifle.
laugh

Last edited by 340boy; 01/10/17.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Glad they dont make many of those stocks anymore.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Finn enjoyed many rounds, did nice articles on the Swede and 338-06 among many and even one on a NULA in 7BR. I've used all 4, they all work well wink

Bullet choice + shot placement, always the right recipe.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 65BR
Finn enjoyed many rounds, did nice articles on the Swede and 338-06 among many and even one on a NULA in 7BR. I've used all 4, they all work well wink

Bullet choice + shot placement, always the right recipe.

Yeah, I've had many of the rounds Finn experiemneted with including the 338-06, 7x57, 257 Rob, etc., etc. Finn did enjoy many rounds, but most were to wring out for publication purposes. For his own use, post Africa, he was pretty much a 30-06, then later, 308 guy.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

That stock was designed as an offhand stock for Metallic Silhouette shooting. It is a very comfortable and stable stock for offhand. At the time it was one of the few aftermarket stocks available for Silhouette, at most matches about half of the competitors would be using them. They were made for most rimfire and centerfire actions and came 90% finished so they could be finished to fit your holding style. I saw very few laminates though since they were heavy, most folks used silver maple or walnut so they could get more weight in the barrel.

I was at a rimfire match a couple of years ago and there were a couple on the line, I took a few shots with a fellow competitors and was pleasantly reminded why they were so popular.

I see you are from Blaine county, I'll bet that there are still a few of those stocks in closets around the county. Lewistown held the State Smallbore Rimfire silhouette matches for many years and in the 80's it was the hot-bed of rimfire silhouette, folks traveled from Wy, ID, ND, and Canada just for their monthly matches, for the state championships they came from most of the central and pacific NW.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I always liked his articles, even when it wasn't something I was really interested in.
He's another who didn't need to post his hunting & shooting Curricula Vitae.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by drover

That stock was designed as an offhand stock for Metallic Silhouette shooting. It is a very comfortable and stable stock for offhand. At the time it was one of the few aftermarket stocks available for Silhouette, at most matches about half of the competitors would be using them. They were made for most rimfire and centerfire actions and came 90% finished so they could be finished to fit your holding style. I saw very few laminates though since they were heavy, most folks used silver maple or walnut so they could get more weight in the barrel.

I was at a rimfire match a couple of years ago and there were a couple on the line, I took a few shots with a fellow competitors and was pleasantly reminded why they were so popular.

I see you are from Blaine county, I'll bet that there are still a few of those stocks in closets around the county. Lewistown held the State Smallbore Rimfire silhouette matches for many years and in the 80's it was the hot-bed of rimfire silhouette, folks traveled from Wy, ID, ND, and Canada just for their monthly matches, for the state championships they came from most of the central and pacific NW.

drover

Blaine County Montana, not Idaho.

Thanks anyway for the information, I thought that stock might have just been the "style" back then.

Now I know what it was designed for! I appreciate it!

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Finn's books are worth their weight in gold.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I especially got a kick out of Finn saying this line at the end of the article:

"...the most effective way to enhance the game killing power of a .243 rifle might be to just rebarrel it to 7mm-08 !"

He did like 7mm bullets.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
I especially got a kick out of Finn saying this line at the end of the article:

"...the most effective way to enhance the game killing power of a .243 rifle might be to just rebarrel it to 7mm-08 !"

He did like 7mm bullets.

And liked 30 cal even more laugh

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by drover

drover

Blaine County Montana, not Idaho.

Thanks anyway for the information, I thought that stock might have just been the "style" back then.

Now I know what it was designed for! I appreciate it!

No, I was speaking of Montana, I just had my counties mixed up, Lewistown, MT is in Fergus county not Blaine.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Brad
For his own use, post Africa, he was pretty much a 30-06, then later, 308 guy.

Do you know why he switched allegiance to the 308 from the -06?

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

He found for his hunting it kicked less and killed the same.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks Brad, always liked Finn's writing. In a book put out by Wolfe Publishing of his collective works, I get the same feeling about how in his later years did a lot with the 308 and even the scout rifle concept

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

He found for his hunting it kicked less and killed the same.

Thanks. I seem to be headed in the same direction myself, for the same reasons, but don't really want to admit it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

403 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 160user, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 22250rem, 36 invisible), 2,193 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,361
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.