Page 1 of 2 1 2
#11727454 01/10/17
J
jmo1754 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Every year we look for someplace out of state within days driving distance of western Ny to smoke pole hunt and extend our season. Huge bucks are not necessary, as we look to just have fun. The past few years we have gone to East central ohio. We are looking elsewhere now, any of you guys have any recommendations where to start ?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You drove right through some of the best deer hunting in North America to get to Ohio. Pennsylvania has plenty of public land opportunities. Two ML seasons-one for all ML's, and one for flintlocks only. Take your pick, buy a tag over the counter, and go have some fun.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jmo1754
Every year we look for someplace out of state within days driving distance of western Ny to smoke pole hunt and extend our season. Huge bucks are not necessary, as we look to just have fun. The past few years we have gone to East central ohio. We are looking elsewhere now, any of you guys have any recommendations where to start ?

Personally, I'd look to the Shenandoah Valley with the NF on either side, all the way down into and through TN and NC. ML seasons generally coincide with the peak of rutting activity.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by gophergunner
You drove right through some of the best deer hunting in North America to get to Ohio. Pennsylvania has plenty of public land opportunities. Two ML seasons-one for all ML's, and one for flintlocks only. Take your pick, buy a tag over the counter, and go have some fun.

The early muzzleloader season is antlerless only and runs for a week in October. The last 3 days of that week, junior and senior hunters can use regular firearms.

The late season starts the day after Christmas and is flintlock only but bucks (if you haven't already got one) and does are legal.

Depending on the Wildlife Management Unit you pick, there is a good possibility for non residents to draw at least one antlerless tag.

Check out the Game Gommission website for more info.

http://www.pgc.pa.gov/Pages/default.aspx

Dale

This space for rent

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Virginia also has a pile of public land and dinks, you get 2 or even 3 buck tags per license and a 3 week late muzzle season...Countys like Bath, Rockbridge, Botetourt and Craig are mostly National Forest.....Good luck......Hb

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There are no deer in Bath lol.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I used to hunt Bath Co. around Millboro back the 80's, at that time there was a pile of hunters in those woods from anywhere and everywhere you could think of ( like Ohio is now) ...I only know one guy that still hunts that area and he tells me he has the woods mostly to himself and he usually kills a couple Bath Co. 90"-110" bucks but he is happy with that so more power to him............Hb

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I live in Bath. Very few hunters. Even a lot of locals have gotten out of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bperdue21

EHD and Blue Tongue hit that area very hard, in back to back years.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Used to hunt VA national forest ( Bath , Highland, Botretaurt, Rockingham and Augusta co) back in the 80s and 90s was a lot of deer. They're still some decent hunting but nothing like it used to be.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Got to get the clearcuts happening again. Deer will be back.

Last edited by Bperdue21; 01/17/17.
C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

This is key. My area of PA has had some major logging in the last 10 years and more ongoing. Couple that with reduced pressure in gun season and we have some top notch hunting.

Hunt...
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
This is right...........Bath Co and that part of the state is rough and beautiful country, I miss the scenery but the buck im after today dont live there.............Hb

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by 4ager

EHD and Blue Tongue hit that area very hard, in back to back years.
I had not heard this......Thats too bad.......Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
This is right...........Bath Co and that part of the state is rough and beautiful country, I miss the scenery but the buck im after today dont live there.............Hb

Doesn't even have to be clear cuts. Some decent selective cutting would open the canopy up to allow sunlight in and some early successional regrowth.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Oh they live here. Just few and far between. Some of these places the mountain laurel is taller than the trees.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Ha! Yeah I have no doubt there are a few bucks in Bath Co. I'd be proud to shoot, but just like you said they are too few and far between..........I would camp on Pads Creek and mostly hunt Rough Mtn. and some on Mill Mtn........It is some beautiful country, your lucky to live in that area.........Hb

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by 4ager

Doesn't even have to be clear cuts. Some decent selective cutting would open the canopy up to allow sunlight in and some early successional regrowth.
Yes, you are exactly right here.........Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Be damned nice to get some grouse back, too.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah, we used to be covered up with grouse in Wise and Scott Co. 20 years ago but i bet i did not see 3 gouse all Fall in My area.........I think we have seen the last of the grouse........Hb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 49 invisible), 2,293 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,090
Posts18,464,038
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.