Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Lehiegh CC bullets are unique. They are somehow in between the sintered or powdered metal bullets with fine particles and the Raptors with "pre-fractured larger petals". Lehiegh has those too.

The Lehiegh is like three densities in each bullet with some of the base staying together. Within their narrow velocity window they are devastating. But for the OP the TTSX will be more reliable in that 1800-2000 fps range especially with an on shoulder shot.

If H100V, R17 or R26 can jack up the velocity a little then good as gold to 400. Or use the 80 grain if it will stay above 1800 fps.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used the 100 TTSX in my 257 Roberts to take a whitetail buck at close to 350 yards. Shot was broadside and the bullet enter about 2 ribs behind the shoulder (without hitting any ribs) an took out 1 rib as it exited. Deer ran at the shot but stopped at the 4 barb fence. A second shot was not possible from my original shooting position so I moved up skirting the edge of the field and found the buck running/stumbling toward me at about 100 yards and then piled up. Buck stayed on its feet for over 30 seconds and covered over 400 yards. Exit wound size of a quarter. I am currently loading TSX as I have had a couple of less than expected results from the TTSX in both .264 and .323 bullets also.

CK
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
I have used the 100 TTSX in my 257 Roberts to take a whitetail buck at close to 350 yards. Shot was broadside and the bullet enter about 2 ribs behind the shoulder (without hitting any ribs) an took out 1 rib as it exited. Deer ran at the shot but stopped at the 4 barb fence. A second shot was not possible from my original shooting position so I moved up skirting the edge of the field and found the buck running/stumbling toward me at about 100 yards and then piled up. Buck stayed on its feet for over 30 seconds and covered over 400 yards. Exit wound size of a quarter. I am currently loading TSX as I have had a couple of less than expected results from the TTSX in both .264 and .323 bullets also.

I had a muledeer hit through the lungs above the heart at about 100 yards away do that after being hit by a Nolser 7mm Partition 175. The muzzle velocity was 3,150 feet per second. The lungs were soup and yet the buck was not going to give up.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The buck was hot after a doe and didn't even know he was shot, they can take a beating sometimes. I shot a bedded WT buck at 125 yds with a 120gr TTSX out of a 264WM and imagine my surprise when I couldn't find an exit. Bullet was in the off shoulder weighing just over 90grs. I find that the TTSX causes much more collateral damage and loss of meat than the TSX. Both kill just as dead, just my opinion.

CK
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The BC on the 100 grain is higher than the 80 grain, so the 80 will lose velocity faster, and at some point the 100 will catch up to the 80 velocity wise. My guess without calculation would be that would happen before it reaches 400 yards. If your rifle shoots satisfactorily with the 100 grainers that's the way I would roll.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
IC B2

J
J257 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Update;
I hunted the whole season with the Barnes 100 grain TTSX, @ 2,800 fps. The first buck, that was a small meat buck, was a quartering away,running, 80 yard shot. The bullet went in front of the last rib and exited the off side brisket. I was surprised the bullet exited, my Sierra 120's wouldn't have. The exit wound didn't seem to be any larger than a dime but the internals where jello.
2nd buck was about 200 yards bedded, facing away. I shot him in the back of the head. Thankfully the bullet exited his eye socket, leaving the skull of the nice old buck intact. I jumped a coyote at about 60 yards while packing out the meat and skull. He was scooting, so I shot her through the middle. My old cup and cores would have turned her inside out and stone dead - instead she had a pencil hole through both sides of the soft middle and required a quick finish shot.
3rd buck and the real test was my muley hunt. After a few days packed in, I found a buck I liked and started closing the gap. I got to 385 and set up, waiting for the broadside, through the shoulders shot. When the shot presented, I new to aim for bone but habit took over and I punched him through both lungs. Staggering, he stayed on his feet - slowly walking with his head hung a bit. I quickly chambered another round and settled into my scope. He was now all but standing still, stuttering backwards like he was going to sit down. I know where he was going but I took the neck shot anyway. It founds it mark, making me feel better about leaving sight of him for about twenties minutes. The second thing I checked when I got to him was the exit wound. A dime sized whole with blood leaking out.
In conclusion, I have to say the barnes 100 grain TTSX is a great, reliable bullet. It will never be a cup and core bullet or perform like one. If I can remember the qualities of this bullet while hunting I'm sure I'll grow to appreciate it more. I do feel that a shoulder shot on the muley would of finished the show faster and have been the better shot to take with the bullet I'm shooting.
I want to thank you guys for your insight on this thread and in PM's that you sent. Your knowledge and patience has been much appreciated.
To you fine gentlemen, Thank You, Jeff

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I,ve been using RL23,RL17,Norma MRP,and RL26 in my
257 Roberts, it,s a Model 70 with a 24" barrel.
I Get Over 3100FPS With all these using the 110gr
Accubonds. I also get about the same Velocity with
the 115gr Nosler Partitions. In my rifle the
partitions are more accurate. I have a new box of
Barnes TTSX, so I,ll try the RL17 and the RL23
first.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Clarkm
[Linked Image]

I got this buck that was so big his nose drug on the floor like a elk, with a 115 gr Nos Bal Tip.

It was 257 Roberts Ackley Improved rimmed that I formed with 7x57 rimmed Norma brass that was so soft that 49 gr H4350 3050 fps was all I could get out of it. I built on an 1885 action and sighted in out to 400 yards. I shot 3 deer with it out to 400 yards in 2012 and all were bang flop.

Nice buck...

Need details on the rifle. Custom?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
105 members (338reddog, 10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,407 guests, and 684 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.