Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I had a friend get bucked off his horse when he was wearing a 6 gun. The poor guy laid on the ground and cried for 15 minutes from pain, we thought he had busted his hip. He was laid up for the remainder of the weekends hunt.

Horses have excellent peripheral vision. If they see something on you that they are not used to at a time where they cross a bear track, the rodeo may get going full blast, especially if the pack makes a strange scratchy noise rubbing against other material.

Your guide is probably going to think that you are an idiot for wanting to wear a pack when riding a horse or mule, but is typical for someone that just does not know.

A better question for your guide is could he tie your pack on the top of one of the pack horses as someone else suggested.

Also, consider a fanny pack, put that on the pack animal also if possible.

Remember, less is best, discussing eating and drinking with your guide. If you have to eat weird, discuss that with your guide also.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've hunted twice with an outfitter in Wyoming who had all of his guides and clients ride with packs on. I know just enough about horses to be dangerous but the outfitter is a big time horse guy. My assumption is that the animals were conditioned for it as we had no problems-- they were all half draft horses, very calm.

Every other horseback hunt I've ever been on was the opposite, no packs while riding.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I don't carry any pack on me while riding.I have a pack mule with me all the time and the pack goes on him.If and when I get into a situation that I need to pack meat,the smallish day pack gets hung on my saddle horn. My saddle mule is accustom to it.

The primary reason not to load yourself up with a pack is if and when an animal spooks or such, you infringe on your capability to move fast. That is personified if you are not much of a horseman. Bad things happen and they happen fast.

The other thing that I can advise is don't ride with a rifle slung over you back.Even if the horse is an ancient old barely able to walk, calm animal,there is always a chance that, thru no fault of the horse,you fall off. The rifle turns into a 3 ft piece of re-bar strapped to your back that doesn't give. At the least you screw up your stock or scope,but more than likely you end up having to be medi-vaced out due to a spinal injury. If your outfitter doesn't supply scabbards, buy one.

BTW This is why I ride a mule. grin We seldom do these things

And hope to hell your trusty steed don't jump a creek, slip on a trail, buck, fart or do any of the hundred other things that horses can do, to make you snap your head back.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/06/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by skywalker
Thank you fellas. I can get a cheap small pack for lunch, water and such....even thought about my turkey vest.

JSTu: once again, plz refrain next time....just couldn't help yourself could you? you proved a good point for me. I said 'I appreciate his response', but as you can tell for yourself, it was dripping with sarcasm with bits and pieces of useful information mixed in......

Next time you ask for advice maybe you should let everyone know you're a tender soul who can't take a jibe.

Millennial?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks again to all who had actual information to help. I do appreciate it. Its been several years since I rode horses and have a neighbor who has several he has offered to let me ride this summer, which I plan to do. I think I will keep a small bag, with me, but will refrain from wearing it while riding the horse.

NV: wow, nothing to input of help or significance, but once again can't help yourself.
Do you work in a woman's hair salon?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks again to all who had actual information to help. I do appreciate it. Its been several years since I rode horses and have a neighbor who has several he has offered to let me ride this summer, which I plan to do. I think I will keep a small bag, with me, but will refrain from wearing it while riding the horse.

NV: wow, nothing to input of help or significance, but once again can't help yourself.
Do you work in a woman's hair salon?

No I don't.
You didn't answer my question.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
38 yrs old.........just was raised to be respectful to others, especially those asking for help.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Calling the guy who gave you very good advice a smart ass isn't respectful.

Anyway, seriously your planned trip sounds like fun and I hope you have a safe and enjoyable time.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've logged hundreds of miles on a horse with a pack on, frame packs and otherwise. No pack related rodeos, but our horses are accustomed to the foothills and mountain hunting life. Still, riding with a pack sucks. Highly unrecommended. We've even been known to sling our rifles.... Also highly sucky. Walking is underrated. wink

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
For lunch, water bottle, and a few other incidentals, use saddle bags. If your outfitter does not supply them, buy THIS SET. Best bang for the buck, IMO.

As others mentioned, it's a bad idea to ride with a pack. A frame pack is going to be not only uncomfortable for both you and the horse, but dangerous as well. You'll be in a jackpot if you have to bust brush and injured if you become unhorsed for any reason.

It will also adversely affect your balance which is bad for you and an especially good way to sore a horse.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Make it a small soft pack with lunch and survival gear and you should be fine. Saddlebags work great but I don't actually hunt much from the horse. And usually don't always have a pack horse with us while hunting. If you do though then put it on the mule for sure. For sure on the way in to camp put it all on the pack mules and a lunch and water in saddle bags tie a jacket behind the cantle.

If there are pack mules around then you don't need a frame pack. Maybe on a sheep hunt.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used horses just enough to know how much I don't know. Three guys (huntsman 22, ironbender, and saddlesore) are all experienced hands. They have given you good advice. I mean no slight to other experienced horsemen. I just don't know them, but I am familiar with those three. I recommend that you follow their advice.

Here's my 2 cents.

Do not try to use a full size external frame pack while riding a horse. You would be asking for trouble. Since you will be on horses, you should take several packs.

If you must wear a pack while riding, then use a small, soft daypack to carry a canteen, snacks, parka, etc. Saddle bags would be better.

Have your pack horse carry a medium size (+/- 2,400 cu.in.) backpack full of hunting gear and survival gear that you will use while hunting. Your wrangler will appreciate it if you use an internal frame pack because it will be easier to pack in the panniers or tie on top.

Also bring a duffel bag with your sleeping bag and other gear.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
A friend has a large duffle I can use on the way in. I have a 1500 cu soft pack I can use during the day....

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I don't hunt from horses but do spend a lot of time in the saddle. If you want a small pack to wear while riding for odds/ends take a look at Hill People Gear's kit bags, not to big, not in the way, and easy to get to.

Saddle bags and I'll often use a duffle bag behind the cantle on top of saddle bags when carrying extra junk in camping. I imagine a soft backpack could be used in the same way rather than a duffle that I'm used to....either way, it will be better to have it tied on the horse than on you. If on you it will effect your balance making it harder to ride and this will be harder on the horse as well since it will constantly be shifting his balance. If it's tied on the horse (well), it's no longer bothering your balance and the balance will be the same for the horse all of the time.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
A friend has a large duffle I can use on the way in. I have a 1500 cu soft pack I can use during the day....

IMHO, if you want to make the wranglers day, pack your duffle so it's somewhat firm, compressed, and isn't going to shift the bag contents around when it's lashed on the horse.

Packs are all about balance, and a bag with contents that shift are a PITA for the packer, the horse, and life in general.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ask your outfitter if he uses top packs like these:
"H" pack [Linked Image]

square pack [Linked Image]

If he has one you can use, you can stuff soft, bulky, lighter gear (clothes, sleeping bag, pad, etc.) in there. We use them a lot.

[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

704 members (160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 71 invisible), 2,856 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,163
Posts18,465,177
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.