Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
...He has his directions screwed up. The lighthouse is out on Cape St Elias, the western end of the island.

It is way up there...

Thanks, there for a little bit I thought I was losing my mind. Again.

Speaking of Katalla, a friend of mine owns several pieces of property there. He once told me that the Government shut down the oil production during WWII as they needed the tankers for the war effort and the oil companies have kept their leases current as there is still a lot of oil there.

All I really know about Katalla is that there are some really big Brown Bears there. grin

Ed

Very interesting! It is not an easy place to get to. Might be a worthy place to look at for bears without drawing. I am out of those until '19.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That is Sam Fejes' area, no?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been on the Island a few times back in 68-70 when the Sedge resupplied the Station every couple of weeks. At that time Glass fishing floats were abundant,I picked up a back pack full on just a short hike down the beach at low water. I believe they run tours out to the island, I would guess now it gets picked over pretty heavy.

I hunted Brown Bear on there for a couple of days also, didn't tag out but a couple of huge Bears there at that time.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

It might be. There was another guy guiding hunters in that area about 10-15 years ago. He guided off of his sailboat. He was supposed to guide Bill Bahleda and I for Brown Bear with .454's and he was going to have it filmed. His sailboat got caught in a nasty squall as he rounded Cape Hinchinbrook and was driven up onto the rocks. Our trip was over before it started.

Take a look at Controller Bay, particularly that area on the mainland due North of Kanak Island and up the Bering River. There are some big bears there, but you have to work for them.

There used to be a ton of Black Bears around Martin Lake until a certain flying service out of Anchorage started dumping non-res hunters around the lake and any other place they could put a float plane down on . I remember when they offered $300.00 drop-off hunts, flying out of Eyak Lake in Cordova. That was $300.00 for residents, $1,000.00 for non-residents and they stayed booked.

Another place to look for a big brownie is along Clear Creek, east off of the Copper River Highway. You can drive right to the area and start walking.
It can get pretty sporty in that area when the Reds are running.

There probably won't be a long shot, it'll be close. Not many folks hunt brownies around that area just because of the terrain.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 60n148w
I've been on the Island a few times back in 68-70 when the Sedge resupplied the Station every couple of weeks. At that time Glass fishing floats were abundant,I picked up a back pack full on just a short hike down the beach at low water. I believe they run tours out to the island, I would guess now it gets picked over pretty heavy.

I hunted Brown Bear on there for a couple of days also, didn't tag out but a couple of huge Bears there at that time.

answers the question of "any bears out there"? smile
I had the pleasure of visiting LORSTA Attu 3 times while up in AK, thanks for your USCG service!!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can't drive out to 52 mile anymore, the bridge is washed out at 32 mile. There's a shuttle servers across the river. A big chunk of ice also damaged the footing on the million dollar bridge.

kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
wow, I haven't been up that way since the MDB was fixed back up, got to go again soon. I fished several times with AWOC at Sheep Bay wannigan.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't fished there for a number of years,last time I was there was for shrimping,l hunted both Simpson and Sheep Bay for Bear.

Now the big Silver fishing is at Ibek Creek just past Eyak river.Its a big Tourist fishery,l go there late August-early Sept and get my home pack.Between our family's we smoke,can,freeze,salt 100 Silvers.

You might find some Fish floats on Hinchenbrook ,a fellow who has a cabin next to my sons lot found a big one still with the netting this past year.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5090233/1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If ya just wanna pick on Art, he posts here WAY more often than you pick....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
sitkadeer has never returned the stock or cartridge trap

going on 6 years... wtf.........

so what does that say about sitkadeer............................

so Sitkadeer

why are you still holding onto a persons property since 2011

and why do certain people on here think that you can do no wrong

why cant you return the guys stuff Sitkadeer????

after 6 years...........

wtf.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

It might be. There was another guy guiding hunters in that area about 10-15 years ago. He guided off of his sailboat. He was supposed to guide Bill Bahleda and I for Brown Bear with .454's and he was going to have it filmed. His sailboat got caught in a nasty squall as he rounded Cape Hinchinbrook and was driven up onto the rocks. Our trip was over before it started.

Take a look at Controller Bay, particularly that area on the mainland due North of Kanak Island and up the Bering River. There are some big bears there, but you have to work for them.

There used to be a ton of Black Bears around Martin Lake until a certain flying service out of Anchorage started dumping non-res hunters around the lake and any other place they could put a float plane down on . I remember when they offered $300.00 drop-off hunts, flying out of Eyak Lake in Cordova. That was $300.00 for residents, $1,000.00 for non-residents and they stayed booked.

Ed

Yes, I believe that is still Sam's area. I worked for Sam for one season out of the Tsiu River Lodge in the mid 90's. Awesome country, friggin huge bear and dam shcitty moose packing country.

Eat moose, burn spruce
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, I can see that being tough packing!!!

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by rost495

Sounds like he rips people off as much as he posts....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WDH

Thanks for proving you like to post about things you know nothing about...

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by WDH

Im sure with 30k in posts you know exactly what you're talking about hahahahahaha.

How about returning ones stuff?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WDH
Originally Posted by WDH

Im sure with 30k in posts you know exactly what you're talking about hahahahahaha.

Again you are proving your desire to talk about things you know nothing about... Congratulations...

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by WDH
Originally Posted by WDH

Again you are proving your desire to talk about things you know nothing about... Congratulations...

Did you sell his stuff to pay your GCI bill? 30k posts eats up a lot of data. Give it back art. Arts and crafts inc is over.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WDH

Did you sell his stuff to pay your GCI bill? 30k posts eats up a lot of data. Give it back art. Arts and crafts inc is over.

You really are a clueless idiot and just made ignore...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Twerent my biz ness den taint my biz ness now.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 160user, 12344mag, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,635
Posts18,455,246
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.