Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Brand new Kimber Hunter in 6.5 creedmore. Bought nosler 140 gr loaded ammo and went to the range. Absolutely the worst gun I have ever shot. Avg 3 inch groups. Tried cleaning between shots and not cleaning with no results. On top of the horrible groups it will only eject a round half of the time. When the round is extracted halfway out it falls out of the claw and remaines sitting on top of the mag. Other times it will hold the round and eject it normal. I tried marking the brass to see if it was caused by the nosler brass but it did not matter how the round was put in the chamber. Does the same with empty and loaded rounds. It is going back to Kimber asap. Anyone have issues like these with their kimbers?

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have two 308s and they are both tack drivers with three or four brands of ammo but I didn't try the nosler ammo. I would try a different type of ammo like hornady match before I sent it back but a 3 inch group sounds like some big problems.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If that was my rifle, I'd try some Hornady factory ammo to see how well that works.

Sucks to spend that kind of $$ and not have it working reliably right out of the box.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Nateknight
Brand new Kimber Hunter in 6.5 creedmore. Bought nosler 140 gr loaded ammo and went to the range. Absolutely the worst gun I have ever shot. Avg 3 inch groups. Tried cleaning between shots and not cleaning with no results. On top of the horrible groups it will only eject a round half of the time. When the round is extracted halfway out it falls out of the claw and remaines sitting on top of the mag. Other times it will hold the round and eject it normal. I tried marking the brass to see if it was caused by the nosler brass but it did not matter how the round was put in the chamber. Does the same with empty and loaded rounds. It is going back to Kimber asap. Anyone have issues like these with their kimbers?

Life is a struggle. Keep peddling easy street is just around the corner.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
T
I can't speak for the ejection problem but you may want to check if the front scope mount screw is contacting the barrel threads or if the front action screw is bottoming out.

That used to be a more common issue on Kimber Montana's effecting accuracy.

Here is a thread on common issues with Kimber Montana's:
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8486078/1

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try Hornaday ammo first. I have the same rifle and it shoots an inch and under with three different loads from Hornaday. I thought I had ejection trouble at first but you need to be aggressive working the bolt, don't baby it. Barrel will heat up fast so go slow between shots.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have the same rifle as well. It shoots three different Hornady factory loads into an inch or better at 100 yards. The bolt must be pulled rapidly to the rear for the Mauser style ejector to eject the case quickly. If you withdraw it slowly,the case with barely clear the action. This is different from the spring loaded ejectors on most push feed rifles,but can be used to your advantage. Run it slow if you want to keep your brass close at hand on the bench. In the field,take Jeff Cooper's advice and show that bolt no mercy.

I would run the bolt hard and try Hornady Ammo. Most likely all you need to do.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
send it back

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'd send it back as well and make them deal with it. Nosler ammo ain't the problem.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I definitely wouldn't send it back without trying another flavor of ammo.

IC B3

N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
When I contacted Kimber they said that gun should in no way act like that and they wanted it back to see what's up. Even if the bolt is slamed forward and back open it will let loose of the round and won't kick it out. Do it again and it may kick it out 3 ft so I'm lost on that one. I don't mind sending it back but they said it would be a 10 week turn around because they are behind. So that's a bummer. They said when it returns it will have test targets and they will state what ammo was used to get the results. I will defiantly try some hornady ammo when it returns.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When I contacted Kimber they said that gun should in no way act like that and they wanted it back to see what's up. Even if the bolt is slamed forward and back open it will let loose of the round and won't kick it out. Do it again and it may kick it out 3 ft so I'm lost on that one. I don't mind sending it back but they said it would be a 10 week turn around because they are behind. So that's a bummer. They said when it returns it will have test targets and they will state what ammo was used to get the results. I will defiantly try some hornady ammo when it returns.

I had similar experience with Kimber 7 years ago. Mine was a 257R Kimber Select. Beautiful rifle but first trip to the range the rifle was basically shooting everywhere. I sent it back. They replaced the barrel and returned with with a nice group on a target. It's been a great shooter since. It was aggravating ordeal but Kimber took care of it so i give them Kudos for that.

Scott
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A good .22lr can shoot much better than 3inches on a fair day.

Ammo change isn't going to fix much.

laissez les bons temps rouler
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Bad roll at kimber roulette, i feel your pain....I sent my Montana back to Kimber for accuracy and ejection issues and it was gone 4 months so id say 10 weeks is rather optimistic on getting your rifle back......I wish you the best of luck with your Kimber........Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by battue
A good .22lr can shoot much better than 3inches on a fair day.

Ammo change isn't going to fix much.

Really? Its not uncommon for guns to like one kind of ammo better than another, to the degree fo 1-2MOA difference isn't uncommon, especiallly when dealing with a lightweight field rifle like the kimber hunter. Multiply that by shooters habits, optics setup, range conditions, etc. 3" from a perfectly fine gun isn't unreal and doesn't necessarily mean the gun is faulty. My adirondak will shoot 2.5-3" groups with 150 grain ammo, but with 165-168 gr. target and multiple brands of hunting ammo it will shoot 1" all day long if i do my part (mostly being patient and letting the barrel cool between shots) for a 6lb gun, scoped and loaded witha. Sling, thats not too bad...

The ejection issues are a concern though. Might be headspace issue causing brass to swell/stick, this would also explain accuracy issues, and If I were kimber I'd want to see it also. In fact I want the OP to send it to me to play with and see if I could diagnose it :]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Really. A rifle made right shoots most anything good within twist constraints and somethings excellent. Finicky rifles that only shoot a couple exact loads good are not all that much fun to mess with.

Have a few Nula's, hard to make them not shoot an inch and you don't have to squirm just right or wait around for the barrel to cool.

Have two Kimbers that while not as good will pretty much do the same. The one that is FLB is better at it than the one FF.

Addition: Will admit that within the ranges most of us take game, and from field positions, a 3in rifle should kill most everything quickly.

Last edited by battue; 01/13/17.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bummer dude, but at least they're owning up to the problem, unlike some we could name. Plus, you're not going to need it soon for hunting season, so send it back and let them sort it out.

Just curious; are they providing a shipping label like Ruger does (if you fuss a bit)?

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
If that was my rifle, I'd try some Hornady factory ammo to see how well that works.

Sucks to spend that kind of $$ and not have it working reliably right out of the box.

You wouldn't worry about the extraction issues huh????? crazy. I know, the op said it wasn't ejecting right, but if a fired cartridge just lays on the follower after pulling it out half way and doesn't eject, it sounds more like a bad extractor from the op's description of what's happening...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 54Woody
Try Hornaday ammo first. I have the same rifle and it shoots an inch and under with three different loads from Hornaday. I thought I had ejection trouble at first but you need to be aggressive working the bolt, don't baby it. Barrel will heat up fast so go slow between shots.

A good rifle will work well, regardless of how fast or slow you pull the bolt handle back... wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'd send it back as well and make them deal with it. Nosler ammo ain't the problem.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It was assembled by someone with a good case of the schidts on a Monday morning.

I'd take it back to the shop and get my money back or demand a new rifle on the spot. Or buy a different rifle.

10 weeks; shove that up your arse!

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by bobnob17

I'd take it back to the shop and get my money back or demand a new rifle on the spot. Or buy a different rifle.

^ that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by bobnob17

^ that.

That would be my first try also. When I had a distribution business I wanted my customers to contact ME if they had any problem. A good store will handle it for you with the least amount of hassle. If they don't bend over backwards to help you, find a new store.

Last edited by Blacktailer; 01/14/17.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Send back to Kimber?? Ha Ha. My buddy sent one back that wouldn't feed '06 round nose ammo. They send it back to him, still had the same problem. He paid the dealers "restocking" fee to take it back.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Exactly. I have a forbes rifle that shoots anything I feed it and 1.5 inch groups are a real bad day for it. If a light rifle won't shoot good then the rifle isn't properly put together. I don't expect sub MOA with factory ammo but I didn't pay for a Kimber to get sub par performance.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Any decisions on what to do here? Did you send it back?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I feel your pain

I have owned 5 Yonkers NY made Kimbers

One out of the five was a shooter without extensive rework to the rifle

The Kimber customer service is the worst in the industry

Good luck

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
This whole thing is bogus. Everybody knows it's impossible for a controlled round feed action with claw extractor and fixed ejector to not extract and eject properly.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Yes I sent it back to Kimber. Hopefully they fix it. If not it will be sold.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good luck. I bought a Kimber Hunter model 22 awhile back. Nothing but problems(it was a Yonkers gun). Wouldn't feed right and spent casings would get stuck in chamber. Sent it back twice. Both times had the same problems. Told me it was the ammo. I had tried several different makes and some worked better than others but in the end they would all get stuck! And the windage screw on one of the mounts broke. Traded it in. I will never buy any Kimber products again. Customer service was terrible.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Ok rifle came back from Kimber today. They replaced the extractor and mag. Feeds and ejects much better but repeated cycles of the bolt on occasion still drops a round before its ejected. But with the new extractor I was able to identify a issue. Shooting Nosler factory loads. If you pull the bolt out of the gun and insert a case onto the bolt it will either be held or dropped depending on how the brass is rotated. Simply rotating the brass by hand it goes from tight to loose on the extractor. That is why it fails to hold the round when ejecting on occasion. So it appears as if the Nosler brass is defective. Either the case head thickness varies or the head is out of round. I'm going to pick up some hornady ammo this weekend and hopefully it will work correctly.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You gonna re-title this to Nosler Brass Trouble? Hahaha.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I haven't used any Nosler brass, but I've shot a couple hundred rounds of Hornady, probably 100 factory loads and another 150 reloads from six different rifles. So, you might want to try Hornady brass or ammo and see how that works for you.

BTW, I've shot Federal, Hornady, and Winchester/Olin factory ammo through five of the six rifles and all have functioned flawlessly. Those three brands have all fed, fired, and ejected regardless if the rifle was made by Howa, Ruger, Weatherby, or if it was a Marlin/Savage parts gun that I put together.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
The same Nosler brass that the Kimber Hunter bolt won't hold is held tightly in every other Mauser action I have. My Kimber classic grips them tight and my ruger grips them tight. There is a issue with the brass being out of square if you will. but the fact that the Kimber Hunter will only hold the brass when rotated to the right spot tells me there is a issue still with the gun. Picking up some hornady brass tomorrow to tryout. If the bolt will hold them properly then I will buy a bunch of hornady and start loading them. If not then I will just sell the gun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have you tried hand-tuning the extractor for proper tension?

At one time, Williams had online instructions for the novice. Thumbs are fulcrum, fingers/hands are lever. Middle bowed out, brings claw and tail inward, greater tension. Reverse, less tension.

I've only thrown away MIM units for steel, so not sure if that would be of issue. But, every good Mauser was fit with an extractor at some point, by hand. Even when NH Winchester dumped the old problematic MIM extractors, and switched to the Williams extractor, he had to give special instruction to their assembly employees, he may have even set them up with an idiot proof mandrel, because at first, they were tossing the extractors into the rifles with zero adjustments, and customers had complaints like yours.

Last edited by GaryVA; 02/10/17.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I haven't tried to do anything myself being it's a new gun under warranty. If it were a old gun I would enjoy tweaking on it to get it right. But a new Kimber should need zero tweaking to make it function correctly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But a new Kimber should need zero tweaking to make it function correctly.

Describing such thoughts as a pipe dream, would be harsh, as some do function correctly as factory assembled. But, being prepared to tweak the rifle, in a number of ways, may very well be needed, to ever get the rifle to reach its potential. In some ways, Kimber and project in a box, are synonymous.

There is a link in this thread, as well as other threads, such as Brad's, which walk through some of the assembly issues you may experience out of the box. All 100% fixable by the owner. But experience has shown, warranty fix on these issues can be spotty.

Keep us posted on your repairs.

Good Luck!

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gotta say for as many threads that are on here about trouble with these guns I can't believe they have such a following.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I agree its a wonder they keep selling like they do. But I bought a used Kimber select 30-06 and it vertical strung loads 3-4 inches. Pulled the stock and found the barrel was hitting the wood just forward of where the bedding ended. Little bit of sanding and now that rifle is simply stupid accurate. That's what convinced me to go with another Kimber hoping for the same.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I would send it back ( I sent 2 back, both came back the same).

If it comes back the same sell it buy a Tikka sako etc. I will never own a rifle with Kimber on it, only pistols

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Tuning a CRF extractor should not be considered anything out of the ordinary for any make rifle.

If that is all that is "wrong" with it then get busy and tweak it. To not do so would be like saying one of the screws was slightly loose and you are going to send the rifle back to have them tighten it for you.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Here is a video of what the rifle is doing. It is worse with hornady brass than it was with the Nosler brass. I disagree that tweaking the gun is "normal" practice on a brand new gun. That's like saying a new car with a engine miss needs tweaked by the new owner to make it run correctly. Anyone interested in buying this one let me know. It has been fired 34 times.

https://youtu.be/hSMpXpExH7A

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Tuning a CRF extractor should not be considered anything out of the ordinary for any make rifle.

Nor should it be necessary for any make rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
Gotta say for as many threads that are on here about trouble with these guns I can't believe they have such a following.

I can't believe it either. I thought I would give Kimber another try after they
Issued me off a number of years ago so I ordered up a new Montana 7-08. It arrived, I opened it up, took it out and handled it a bit. Worked the action etc and thought what a POS. Packed it back up and sent it back for a refund. Kind of disappointing for all the hype on here.

Rob
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is the follower running fully to the top, or is it cocking to some degree?

If it is cocking, so that it allows the round to drop, then possible the spring is walking, and not staying put at its bottom leg. A dab of epoxy, with realease agent on the spring, will give it a positive locator to stop walking.

That, maybe combined with tuning the extractor. I ended up replacing my follower (LA), with a different production unit, think it was a Win, but may have been a Rem.

Last edited by GaryVA; 02/11/17.

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by harv3589

Issued me off a number of years ago so I ordered up a new Montana 7-08. It arrived, I opened it up, took it out and handled it a bit. Worked the action etc and thought what a POS. Packed it back up and sent it back for a refund. Kind of disappointing for all the hype on here.

Its why we call it " Kimber Roulette"...

After dealing with selling them at the LGS for a few years, I wouldn't have one if it was given to me...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
On the Hunter the case rides along the feed lips of the magazine. If you load 3 rounds into the mag it will feed and extract the first two nearly every time but the last round will be dropped. If you pull the bolt out and slide a case into the bolt face the extractor doesn't even touch the brass. Any other of my guns the extractor will grip the case and hold it. That being said when you chamber the round then extract it the case drops out of the extractor and is left sitting there. If another round is in the mag then the round being extracted rides on top of that round and doesn't fall down thus remaining in the extractors grip. Bad thing is that when I got it back from Kimber the note said the extractor was replaced. If it was replaced they never tested the function afterwards. And if it was replaced what else could be wrong? I'm calling Kimber tomorrow and going to try to get them to watch the video. Then it will go back to Kimber again.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Rob,

Where'd you buy it from? Unfortunately I've seen local retailers get a return because of a manufacturing flaw, and put it right back on the shelf...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Rob,

Where'd you buy it from? Unfortunately I've seen local retailers get a return because of a manufacturing flaw, and put it right back on the shelf...

Pm sent

Rob
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Curious if the follower spring is walking at the bottom, where it rests. If so, it will not push the follower fully upward, when no more rounds remain in mag box. If that is the case, the follower will be cocked, and will not be supporting the case upward, so that it stays under control of the extractor, as the follower guides the path rearward, into the ejector.

If that is your problem, then, when rounds are in the mag box, likely, that straightens out the position of the follower, to some degree, so the round coming out the chamber is supported, and held under the extractor.

A simple fix to keep the spring from walking at the bottom, where it rests, is to make a positive locating notch, for the spring, with a dab of epoxy. Coat the spring with wax, so it does not glue into place, and use just enough epoxy, to create an imprint of the spring, to hold it into place. You must be willing, and capable, of disassembling the rifle to do so. Some, will take the additional step of replacing the follower, and dress up the mag box fit and bedding, if needed.

Just my opinion, but this is why I consider a Kimber to be a project in a box.

Last edited by GaryVA; 02/12/17.

- Clint Eastwood
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Called Kimber today and now they are saying that the gun isn't designed to extract cases that are fed by hand. Only those fed from the mag are suppose to eject. What a joke of a company. Plan to send it back for the second and final try to get it fixed. If not then I guess I can sell it as a fully functioning gun according to Kimber.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[quote=Nateknight]On the Hunter the case rides along the feed lips of the magazine. If you load 3 rounds into the mag it will feed and extract the first two nearly every time but the last round will be dropped.

My Kimber Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor does the opposite. Put 3 rounds in the mag and you have to push up on the bottom of the mag and work the bolt quite hard to feed the top round. The next 2 rounds feed fine and all eject fine.

I have Kimbers in 257 Roberts, 260,7-08 and 25-06 and this is my first one with a problem. Guess I've been lucky, but this Hunter is a bit frustrating. It also doesn't want to do 3 shot groups as two will be very close, but the third shot is always an inch or more away.

This has been with 2 scopes, 3 handloads, one factory load and 2 different magazines.

Maybe I should try 140 gr bullets instead of 120s next. frown

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Boy I most be really. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket.
I've owned 7 Kimber of New York centerfires. More than that of there 22's. The biggest problem was a firing pin spring, also a 257R took a ton of rds to find a good load. All 7 shot sub 1" groups al of the time.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All the savage rifles I own or owned except for 1 savage 99(had 3 that did) shot darn near moa and a few quite a bit better. I handload and none have taken much work to get accurate loads figured out. Heck I have an axis 223 that shoots sub moa with American eagle fmjs. I am by no means saying they are comparable in quality but if shooting tiny groups consistently is important out of the box why play this "roulette" that is so often brought up. If I pay upwards of 1k for a rifle, it better come to me fully operational and at least above average accurate without a ton of work tweaking and developing loads.

My 2 cents.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I've owned two. One was a 300 WSM in mountain ascent. Receiver was machined so badly the back of the lugs were gouged from just chambering a round. Sent it to Kimber, they sent it back saying it was functioning fine. Took it to a smith here local. They tagged it unsafe and called kimber on my behalf. I paid an hour labor to have the barrel taken off so the smith could provide photos to Kimber showing the inside of the receiver surfaces were mis-machined. Kimber reviewed and had me send the gun in. They sent me another gun conceding the quality defect. The second gun had the follower spring floating in the bottom of the mag well. I fixed it and this gun is a shooter. Just took 6 months and some patience and some money.

So I guess I'm one of the few unlucky ones. But in the end, after some work, I do love the gun. I won't part with this gun but I also won't be likely to buy another. Customer service and Quality departments need an overhaul IMO.

I should add, Kimber never bothered to pay for the smith's time and never picked up the new firearm transfer fee. Kinda tells you where they stand.

Last edited by tm7554; 02/14/17.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I have reviewed your video. The cure is very simple. Contrary to popular belief, controlled round feed actions require quite a bit of tuning in order to function properly. It is much simpler to make a push feed action work perfectly.

When a cartridge is fully chambered, the extractor should be tight enough to hold the cartridge head against the opposite side of the U-shaped recess on the bolt face. The extractor must have positive tension to push the brass against the opposite side of the bolt's face.

On your rifle that is not happening. You can test it by removing your bolt and slipping a cartridge's head up under the extractor.

Proper fit has nothing to do with the case head diameter. Rather it depends on the diameter of the case's extractor groove. Manufacturers dimensions vary a lot. I mean greatly. They don't pay much attention to this dimension because is does not alter the function of push feed actions.

The most persnickety guy I know about feeding, DArcy Echols, adjusts the extractor's tension to a specific brand of brass. That is one reason why his rifles function perfectly. So you may solve your problem by switching to cases with a larger diameter extractor groove. I wouldn't be too quick to blame Kimber. Alternatively, you could get a 223 extractor and fit it to a specific brand of brass.

Last edited by RinB; 02/14/17.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by RinB
I have reviewed your video. The cure is very simple. Contrary to popular belief, controlled round feed actions require quite a bit of tuning in order to function properly. It is much simpler to make a push feed action work perfectly.

When a cartridge is fully chambered, the extractor should be tight enough to hold the cartridge head against the opposite side of the U-shaped recess on the bolt face. The extractor must have positive tension to push the brass against the opposite side of the bolt's face.

On your rifle that is not happening. You can test it by removing your bolt and slipping a cartridge's head up under the extractor.

Proper fit has nothing to do with the case head diameter. Rather it depends on the diameter of the case's extractor groove. Manufacturers dimensions vary a lot. I mean greatly. They don't pay much attention to this dimension because is does not alter the function of push feed actions.

The most persnickety guy I know about feeding, DArcy Echols, adjusts the extractor's tension to a specific brand of brass. That is one reason why his rifles function perfectly. So you may solve your problem by switching to cases with a larger diameter extractor groove. I wouldn't be too quick to blame Kimber. Alternatively, you could get a 223 extractor and fit it to a specific brand of brass.

Bingo! This is why it was said above that one MUST know how to adjust the extractor to make it work. It is not a rifle problem so much as a brass problem, and sending it back repeatedly to Kimber is not going to "fix" it. But most such advice from people who know things is actually just ignored around here when a rifle costs more than $400.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I watched the video too. That rifle still has an extractor issue. It shouldn't matter what kind of brass he's using, the rifle should function 100% regardless. And obviously it is not. He lost at Kimber roulette... Plain and simple.. Oh, by the way RinB, Darcy isn't the only one out there with perfectly functioning rifles. I'd also have to point out that a "perfectly functioning" rifle will function with any fu cking brand of brass you put in it. Hint... whistle

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I agree with last post. This is a mass produced rifle built to function with mass produced brass. Kimber uses Hornady test ammo so after it wasn't working correct with the Nosler brass I bought Hornady brass. Still doesn't work. Something is wrong with the extractor for sure. If it's routine to adjust a extractor on Mauser actions I must be missing someting as I have never encountered an issue with one being too loose. Sure it happens but to say it's to be expected is ridiculous. They have been in production for well over 100 years so it's not like Kimber is still tweaking some new design. It's sloppy Manufactuing at its finest. Kimber needs to stand behind what they sell. I bought a CZ 550 once that wouldn't meet their accuracy standard so I called and they said ship it back. Couple weeks later I had a brand new gun in my hands. No questions asked what so ever. That is customer service. Thank of the sales Kimber has lost just over this one thread. 5000 views I bet several people have chose to go any other route than Kimber.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I'm hearing a lot of bad things about them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank of the sales Kimber has lost just over this one thread. 5000 views I bet several people have chose to go any other route than Kimber.

This right here, this is me. I'm too cheap to drop a grand and just hope it is one that shoots.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well, that's one.......

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Yep, worked on me Nate. Won't ever be one in the safe. Same goes for all the stuff I read about Remingtons. It won't be long before someone markets a 2x4 with a pipe pounded into it.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I bet if you'd take the advice of a couple of the posters above, or heck just UTube it, you'd have the extractor tweaked and running in about half an hour.

And yes, Mauser extractors are all like that. It's just that somebody tweaked them already at the factory when companies used to pay someone to do that sort of thing. Nowadays, you do it yourself or it doesn't get done. Ruger does seem to have it figured out very well for mass production.

If you don't want to do any of that, be sure to buy a pushfeed next time. The pushfeeds with a "sliding plate extractor" such as the older pushfeed Win 70 or the new Marlin XS7 tend to have the least problems of all so far as feeding and extraction ease. At least until the small extractor breaks or wears out.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
That is a little much for me to take. If Kimber won't replace that there is something wrong.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It's a damn shame for an American firearms company to treat a customer that way. I just went to their website looking for an e-mail address to send them a link to this thread. I couldn't find an email address. I did see a note that said due to the popularity of their 2017 models wait times for customer service calls are longer than usual.

Think about that for a second.

I do recall a few Kimber Hunter threads on other forums. Since Kimber says the OPs rifle works the way it should, I am going to show them what a normal Kimber does.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6711043/m/3701059622

This is going to cost Kimber way more than they will ever realize.

Anyone want to help me spread the word? Post up your results if you do!

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 02/17/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
it must suck, to not have anything better to do.....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Doesn't suck at all. Rainy morning, black lab at my side, hot coffee in hand and helping inform the public. Pretty gratifying actually.

https://www.shootersforum.com/rifles-rifle-cartridges/132329-kimber-84m-hunter-6-5-creedmore-2.html

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.p...-scope-out-of-the-box-impressive.817453/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hahaha......

"Who's with me?"...... Paul Belushi?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Reports like this have kept me from any Kimber headaches.

Ashame they don't get their QC in order. Too many options by competitors for me to roll the dice. Wishing the OP the best.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Kimber has lost enough sales due to bad press in forums like these that they could have paid a workers salary to function test the rifles before they get shipped out. Mine is going back this week for the second time. Tried to get them to watch the video of this gun but they said they couldn't open the link. I will include links to the video and all these forums in the box this time. They put extra notes on the work order to "really look the rifle over and inspect function". Really? They need to add special notes to have the rifle inspected when it comes back for the same issues twice.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
So what was the outcome? Did you get the extraction issue resolved?

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
It's going back this week so in about a month I should have it back. Hopefully this time it is fixed.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
snake eyes!

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Why would you pay hard earned money on a rifle hoping it will shoot well ?
I am an old guy who hunted many many years with lots of friends and club members and have never heard of a win 70, savage 110, rem 700, sako, ruger, browning , etc not ejecting or having any problems. I know there are kimbers that shoot lights out but why would you take the chance? Im not saying no other rifles have problems now and then but the kimbers are very high on complaint list.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if you have to ask why.......

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I agree with last post. This is a mass produced rifle built to function with mass produced brass. Kimber uses Hornady test ammo so after it wasn't working correct with the Nosler brass I bought Hornady brass. Still doesn't work. Something is wrong with the extractor for sure. If it's routine to adjust a extractor on Mauser actions I must be missing someting as I have never encountered an issue with one being too loose. Sure it happens but to say it's to be expected is ridiculous. They have been in production for well over 100 years so it's not like Kimber is still tweaking some new design. It's sloppy Manufactuing at its finest. Kimber needs to stand behind what they sell. I bought a CZ 550 once that wouldn't meet their accuracy standard so I called and they said ship it back. Couple weeks later I had a brand new gun in my hands. No questions asked what so ever. That is customer service. Thank of the sales Kimber has lost just over this one thread. 5000 views I bet several people have chose to go any other route than Kimber.

CZ will handle their issues all the time, and make a very accurate rifle. (great barrels)
Ship back the Kimber and buy a CZ is a viable option.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry to see that Kimber is still stepping on their cranks when it comes to QC and customer service. I really like the Montana, but Nate's experience gives me pause. frown

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Im not saying no other rifles have problems now and then but the kimbers are very high on complaint list.

How many rifles does Kimber make and sell a year, and of those, what percentage are returned because of an issue, and of those returned how many actually have an issue? Unless you know the numbers you're just voicing an opinion rather than stating fact as are most of the posts in this thread. I have five Kimber rifles that all shoot incredibly well and have zero issues.

have never heard of a win 70, savage 110, rem 700, sako, ruger, browning , etc not ejecting or having any problems.

Seriously ... those companies you mentioned have perfect products? I sold two Winchester Extreme Weather rifles last year because the machining was atrocious along with poor to average accuracy in addition to being heavy. Back in 2011 I bought a Savage Weather Warrior that had the front and rear bridges ground in such a way that it was impossible to mount a scope i.e. the bridges weren't in the same plane. Savage wouldn't pay for return shipping despite my paying $850 for a brand new rifle and despite my sending them detailed photographs. In addition, they had the dumbest 7mm-08 Rem twist rate on the planet so I bought a McGowen barrel for it and ended up paying a machine shop to fix the receiver. I'll eventually sell that POS at a significant loss when it's back together because it has the heaviest bolt lift of any rifle I've owned and it's a clunky piece of garbage. A neighbor had the same issue on his Weather Warrior chambered in .30-06 Sprg but because the action was longer he could actually mount a scope without damaging it. Despite my experiences with Winchester and Savage I've yet to make a post on a forum stating that all Winchester or all Savage rifles are garbage or that Savage CS is garbage. Does this one example of a defective extractor mean that all Kimber rifles or Kimber CS is garbage ... only if you can't figure out the cash register at McDonald's.

[email protected]
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by TOPCATHR
I am an old guy who hunted many many years with lots of friends and club members and have never heard of a win 70, savage 110, rem 700, sako, ruger, browning , etc not ejecting or having any problems.

Yep, seems like you've really been around.

Check about 10 threads down. The one titled "Sako 85 ejection issues"

Maybe you'll stop saying stupid shiit

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
[/quote]
CZ will handle their issues all the time, and make a very accurate rifle. (great barrels)
Ship back the Kimber and buy a CZ is a viable option. [/quote]

That was not my experience with CZ.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Why don't you read the above posts before you open you big mouth and call what I say stupid [bleep] (from behind your keyboard) I didn't make up the phrase Kimber roulette. There is a guy above who had four that wouldn't shoot. There are problems with any manufacturers but not like what the folks on this forum are saying. All you guys that think kimbers are more prone to problems are saying stupid [bleep].........

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MCMXI
Im not saying no other rifles have problems now and then but the kimbers are very high on complaint list.

How many rifles does Kimber make and sell a year, and of those, what percentage are returned because of an issue, and of those returned how many actually have an issue? Unless you know the numbers you're just voicing an opinion rather than stating fact as are most of the posts in this thread. I have five Kimber rifles that all shoot incredibly well and have zero issues.

have never heard of a win 70, savage 110, rem 700, sako, ruger, browning , etc not ejecting or having any problems.

Seriously ... those companies you mentioned have perfect products? I sold two Winchester Extreme Weather rifles last year because the machining was atrocious along with poor to average accuracy in addition to being heavy. Back in 2011 I bought a Savage Weather Warrior that had the front and rear bridges ground in such a way that it was impossible to mount a scope i.e. the bridges weren't in the same plane. Savage wouldn't pay for return shipping despite my paying $850 for a brand new rifle and despite my sending them detailed photographs. In addition, they had the dumbest 7mm-08 Rem twist rate on the planet so I bought a McGowen barrel for it and ended up paying a machine shop to fix the receiver. I'll eventually sell that POS at a significant loss when it's back together because it has the heaviest bolt lift of any rifle I've owned and it's a clunky piece of garbage. A neighbor had the same issue on his Weather Warrior chambered in .30-06 Sprg but because the action was longer he could actually mount a scope without damaging it. Despite my experiences with Winchester and Savage I've yet to make a post on a forum stating that all Winchester or all Savage rifles are garbage or that Savage CS is garbage. Does this one example of a defective extractor mean that all Kimber rifles or Kimber CS is garbage ... only if you can't figure out the cash register at McDonald's.

How many rifles does Kimber sell per year? When they first launched the Hunter in 257 Roberts, I thought I'd found my next gun. Then I started reading and researching. For being a comparatively small manufacturer building a comparatively high priced gun there were comparatively too many legitimate complaints about poor quality and poor customer service for me to be comfortable buying one.

If you were to tell me that my life depended upon the function and accuracy of either a Kimber Hunter or a Ruger American. I'd go with the American 100% of the time. This from someone who has been a vocal critic of Ruger's QC of late. Most learned shooters would too.

Oh, and I'd keep it quiet about paying $850 for a Savage Weather Warrior. You don't want folks getting the wrong impression about you.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 02/23/17.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you were to tell me that my life depended upon the function and accuracy of either a Kimber Hunter or a Ruger American. I'd go with the American 100% of the time. This from someone who has been a vocal critic of Ruger's QC of late. Most learned shooters would too.

It's clear to me that you're not data driven. You make a lot of noise to push your agenda but provide no data, just opinion. Take a few minutes to Google "Ruger American problems" and you'll find endless issues. I have a lot of Ruger products, mostly revolvers, so have a lot of confidence in the company and if I wanted a cheap rifle would consider an American. Unlike you I own multiple Kimber rifles and a couple of pistols. I've only had to deal with Kimber CS on one occasion and have no complaints. Rather than defer to the opinion of someone who doesn't actually have any personal experience with Kimber I'll rely upon my actual real-world experience.

As for the Savage, I was living in Hawaii at the time and that was the going rate for a relatively new and relatively hard to find Weather Warrior ordered and shipped from a US mainland online retailer. Of course you know better and even have an opinion on my purchase ... another experience you can pretend is your own.

[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

It's clear to me that you're not data driven. You make a lot of noise to push your agenda but provide no data, just opinion. Take a few minutes to Google "Ruger American problems" and you'll find endless issues. I have a lot of Ruger products, mostly revolvers, so have a lot of confidence in the company and if I wanted a cheap rifle would consider an American. Unlike you I own multiple Kimber rifles and a couple of pistols. I've only had to deal with Kimber CS on one occasion and have no complaints. Rather than defer to the opinion of someone who doesn't actually have any personal experience with Kimber I'll rely upon my actual real-world experience.

As for the Savage, I was living in Hawaii at the time and that was the going rate for a relatively new and relatively hard to find Weather Warrior ordered and shipped from a US mainland online retailer. Of course you know better and even have an opinion on my purchase ... another experience you can pretend is your own.

Says the poster who's batting .1000 schilling for Kimber since his (I apologize if I got the "his" wrong) entry into the forum. Ruger probably made more guns last year than Kimber has in all of its existence. If you search the internet you will most assuredly uncover issues with just about everything they make. Ruger needs to step up QC (I have made that my agenda.) Despite having sold tens of millions of guns, it's exceedingly hard to find Ruger customer service complaints. Not so with Kimber.

It's called Kimber Roullette, not only for quality and accuracy but also for their customer service. And for good reason.

Rather than go down the path of too many other Kimber owners, I'll avoid them completely and happily steer as many prospective buyers toward threads like this where real owners have real quality and customer service issues.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I watched the video too. That rifle still has an extractor issue. It shouldn't matter what kind of brass he's using, the rifle should function 100% regardless. And obviously it is not. He lost at Kimber roulette... Plain and simple.. Oh, by the way RinB, Darcy isn't the only one out there with perfectly functioning rifles. I'd also have to point out that a "perfectly functioning" rifle will function with any fu cking brand of brass you put in it. Hint... whistle

I also watched the video, My old 1974 Rugger 77 did the same thing. It has 43 years of a few thousand rounds through it. I bought a new extractor from Midway, installed it and gun works fine with no tuning. I would get this gun to a dealer if I could an see if they will take it back, just selling it out right is a dis service to the next guy in line. These regular posts about Kimbers have cured me of any interest in them whatsover.... Not directing this at you BSA , just wanted to add to your comment......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Rather than go down the path of too many other Kimber owners, I'll avoid them completely and happily steer as many prospective buyers toward threads like this where real owners have real quality and customer service issues.

Oh that's right ... a rifle with an extractor that needs tuning ... the horror! And don't forget your eagerness to jump on threads where people are reporting good things and then point them to this thread ... how pathetic! And roulette only has one L.

What's even more pathetic about you is you make comments like this on another forum ..

"My Savage lightweight hunter will out shoot the Kimber and they can be bought for $499."

... and yet you've never shot a Kimber Hunter. You're so desperate to be relevant but you're a hack. I hope you never buy a Kimber rifle because I very much doubt you would do it any justice.

[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Oh that's right ... a rifle with an extractor that needs tuning ... the horror! And don't forget your eagerness to jump on threads where people are reporting good things and then point them to this thread ... how pathetic! And roulette only has one L.

What's even more pathetic about you is you make comments like this on another forum ..

"My Savage lightweight hunter will out shoot the Kimber and they can be bought for $499."

... and yet you've never shot a Kimber Hunter. You're so desperate to be relevant but you're a hack. I hope you never buy a Kimber rifle because I very much doubt you would do it any justice.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice selfie.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It still amazes me that these [bleep] shows exist. Customer service is King and communication solves problems.

If it came from us, I'll refund your money in full.

If it didn't come from us, I'll give you store credit for our current retail price. You can select anything we have in stock and I'll ship it to your FFL. (+/- to be addressed). I'll send your rifle to Kimber addressing the issue and let them deal with us on replacement. We'll discuss QC and everybody learns from the experience. I'll send them a link to this thread as well.

Everybody involved wins...including Kimber. I'm a big believer in getting to the root of the problem. If this helps them address bottlenecks in QC, we all win.

Keep in mind, I'm a big Kimber fan...

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
It still amazes me that these [bleep] shows exist. Customer service is King and communication solves problems.

If it didn't come from us, I'll give you store credit for our current retail price. You can select anything we have in stock and I'll ship it to your FFL. (+/- to be addressed). I'll send your rifle to Kimber addressing the issue and let them deal with us on replacement. We'll discuss QC and everybody learns from the experience. I'll send them a link to this thread as well.

Everybody involved wins...including Kimber. I'm a big believer in getting to the root of the problem. If this helps them address bottlenecks in QC, we all win.

Wow!

Very cool offer!

David

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Wow!

Very cool offer!

David

Yep! It's why I'll always shop at Whittaker Guns!

That being said, I had a 280 AI I had to ship back to Kimber and I thought their customer service was great and the rifle came back and it shoots like a champ. One of my favorites for sure! I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Kimber

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But even if your experience with Kimber was different, I can't see you making it your lifes work to jump on every kimber thread, and whine/threaten like a little bambino.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsman22
But even if your experience with Kimber was different, I can't see you making it your lifes work to jump on every kimber thread, and whine/threaten like a little bambino.....

Nope. It seems like it's always the same people too

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
missed this one. seems these Kimber threads sure bring out the ankle biters...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

As someone who has owned and worked extensively with multiples of both rifles (Montana, not Hunter), I absolutely would not.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I didn't start this thread to start bashing Kimber but rather point out they shipped a rifle that simply did not function. And that is unacceptable from any brand. But far more so from Kimber in my book because of what they charge for their products. The Hunter has the same action as their 1800.00 rifles minus more cnc time so can't blame the budget model.

there hasn't been a single person mention how to or reference a link to how to fix this "simple" extractor problem.

The rifle came from a dealer on GB and I wouldn't expect them to deal with the problem after the rifle has been fired. My 84L is very accurate and even more consistently accurate than any of my other rifles. This Hunter won't shoot Nosler ammo for nothing but Hornady 140 match ammo shoots a ragged hole. Shame it won't function at all. Kimber has the potential to have a unbeatable product. But they have to stop the bad ones from going out the door or gladly correct any issues with the ones that come back.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Shortactionsmoker that is one heck of an offer. The rifle is currently at Kimber so hoping it's fixed this time.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

And this is how a successful man conducts business. Thank you for being one of the "Good Ones".......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Shame it won't function at all. Kimber has the potential to have a unbeatable product. But they have to stop the bad ones from going out the door or gladly correct any issues with the ones that come back.

What's odd about this is that all Kimber rifles pass proof load testing followed by function testing before leaving NY. With the Hunter that means that at least four rounds are fired and extracted. This issue would have been caught and remedied at the factory ... how else could the rifle have passed proof and function testing? There are some aspects of a rifle that can be missed during assembly and final testing, but you need proper extraction to complete the firing part of the testing process. Anyway, I hope this gets resolved and you're back to shooting small groups with the Hornady ammunition.

[email protected]
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Why don't you read the above posts before you open you big mouth and call what I say stupid [bleep] (from behind your keyboard) I didn't make up the phrase Kimber roulette. There is a guy above who had four that wouldn't shoot. There are problems with any manufacturers but not like what the folks on this forum are saying. All you guys that think kimbers are more prone to problems are saying stupid [bleep].........

Topcatheter

So you're just relying on other peoples posts to base your conclusion?

Why not tap into those years of "old guy" experience to support your statement?

Remember, I just quoted you?

Maybe your statement is just too stupid to try and defend?

I am an old guy who hunted many many years with lots of friends and club members and have never heard of a win 70, savage 110, rem 700, sako, ruger, browning , etc not ejecting or having any problems.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Update on my rifle. I got it back from Kimber and the extractor was the culprit. They replaced it and it was inspected by more than one person. I feel sure this forum played a huge role in it getting the attention that was needed. Now finally time to shoot and enjoy the rifle. Thanks

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Update on my rifle. I got it back from Kimber and the extractor was the culprit. They replaced it and it was inspected by more than one person. I feel sure this forum played a huge role in it getting the attention that was needed. Now finally time to shoot and enjoy the rifle. Thanks

I've never owned a Kimber rifle, but I'm glad you got them to sort out the issue. I hope it shoots as well as you hoped it would.

I had a 77R Ruger in .30/06 that was shipped with an extractor that was shorter than necessary (Magnum case extractor, probably). After about 5 years of it working part-time, I sent the bolt back. Ruger was POed that I wouldn't send the whole rifle back, but I got my bolt back in about 10 days, with a new, longer-hooked extractor, and the rifle went on to kill a lot of deer for me without another problem.

Hopefully, your Kimber will do the same.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Nate, keep us posted on if it shoots any better...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Did they replace the extractor completely, or just tweak it?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hell, maybe the gun blew up on him. No word on how the rifle performs now... I've been waiting a long time too. crazy I saw they have some of these Hunter models on sale for $797.00 at a LGS. Wondering how Nate's rifle is doing? Like I said, it was an extractor issue. They probably just installed a new one and now it works. Would like to know for sure though.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I, too, am curious to hear how the rifle shoots, after all the work to get it to extract.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Congrats on losing the game (some love to play) called the Kimber roulette! Better luck next time....shoulda bought a Tikka.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah Im fixen to take another spin at the wheel, I have been lucky on my last 3 tries and I got a hankering for a Hunter camo chambered in .243 Win as a predator hunting rig....😁....Its worth the chance for Me as no other rifle compares with the features I like being a lightweight CRF rifle with a great trigger and drilled tapped reciever, (shot at Sako 85..lol) and sized for cartridge actions with actual machined recoil lug.....Hb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Yeah Im fixen to take another spin at the wheel, I have been lucky on my last 3 tries and I got a hankering for a Hunter camo chambered in .243 Win as a predator hunting rig....😁....Its worth the chance for Me as no other rifle compares with the features I like being a lightweight CRF rifle with a great trigger and drilled tapped reciever, (shot at Sako 85..lol) and sized for cartridge actions with actual machined recoil lug.....Hb

I looked at a Hunter model in the store a couple days ago. Looked like a nice rifle that could use a little polishing and fine tuning. Didn't seem to be all that light though. I think if I bought one and it functioned flawlessly, as it should, I can work around getting it to shoot well enough and the bolt would be butter smooth when I was done too. Been thinking about taking the plunge myself. Wondering if I'll be pleasantly surprised or horribly disgusted? I like the features and baby sized model 70 action though..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I had extractor problems

Kimber replaced the extractor and it works great now and as it turns out Kimber #6 for me turned out to be an accurate rifle....shooting 120 grn Balistic Tips into under 1" with R17

Bad videos and worse narration with crisscrossed terminology but you might get something out of these

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
tedthorn, thanks for sharing your experience. I'm wondering if and when I actually go and buy one of these if I should take the rifle in the back room and function test it with some snap caps before buying?? Making sure it feeds and extracts properly?

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V

I looked at a Hunter model in the store a couple days ago. Looked like a nice rifle that could use a little polishing and fine tuning. Didn't seem to be all that light though. I think if I bought one and it functioned flawlessly, as it should, I can work around getting it to shoot well enough and the bolt would be butter smooth when I was done too. Been thinking about taking the plunge myself. Wondering if I'll be pleasantly surprised or horribly disgusted? I like the features and baby sized model 70 action though..

Kimber lists the weight of the Hunter model chambered in .243 Win as 5lbs 10oz's, thats pretty light in My book...I really dont think you will be taking much of a chance in buying one new in box, Kimber QC seems to have gotten much better lately.....Good luck....Hb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Kimber lists the weight of the Hunter model chambered in .243 Win as 5lbs 10oz's, thats pretty light in My book...I really dont think you will be taking much of a chance in buying one new in box, Kimber QC seems to have gotten much better lately.....Good luck....Hb

Sounds like a good report. I may seriously look into one of these rifles that seem to be priced right. Sub $800.00...

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I bought a Hunter in 257 Roberts this past summer. NIB ordered from my LGS. If functioned all right, but it would scatter rounds all over the paper at 100yds. I mean all over a 13" target. I contacted Kimber, they sent me a return label and I sent the rifle back. 6 week wait and they sent it back with a new barrel, shoots fantastic now. I love the rifle, light, fits me perfect and the DBM works great. But why the roulette?

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V

Sounds like a good report. I may seriously look into one of these rifles that seem to be priced right. Sub $800.00...

Good point and I agree, for a sub $800 rifle these are hard to beat.....Good luck....Hb

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Return it and buy a Tikka. My Tikka shoots under or right at 1" @ 300 yds.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Remington280

My pre 64's shoot that good..

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Hell, maybe the gun blew up on him. No word on how the rifle performs now... I've been waiting a long time too. crazy I saw they have some of these Hunter models on sale for $797.00 at a LGS. Wondering how Nate's rifle is doing? Like I said, it was an extractor issue. They probably just installed a new one and now it works. Would like to know for sure though.

No the gun hasn’t blown up. After sending the gun back twice and getting some help from a member here dealing with Kimber it came back and will eject and function at 90%. Ejector was replaced twice but second time dealt with gunsmith himself. Besides the ejection issues it won’t feed the last round in the clip. Accuracy wise it is dialed in nicely but I don’t trust it enough to hunt with. I will likely keep the 2 I have as I do like the feel but I will not buy any more Kimber products due to this experience. . Too many brands doing it right to pay for those issues again at that price point.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for the update to your rifles problem. I was hoping it was all resolved. Sorry to hear its still a dud.

BSA MAGA
K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Remington280

But first make sure it wasn't one listed on a recall for inferior metal. smirk

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm not buying a Kimber any time soon!

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I had a Hunter in 6.5 I just sold. I love the gun. I'll get another at some point. It shot great with Federal 140gr Accubonds and Hornady 143gr eldx. It also shot MOA with Hornady 147gr eldx, Federal Fusion 140, and American Whitetail 140gr.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tzone

I had a Hunter in 6.5 I just sold. I love the gun. I'll get another at some point. It shot great with Federal 140gr Accubonds and Hornady 143gr eldx. It also shot MOA with Hornady 147gr eldx, Federal Fusion 140, and American Whitetail 140gr.

Geez, sounds like a great rifle. Sorry to see you had to sell it. I'll probably go back to the fun store and really check out this 6.5 creed they have there again. The more I fondle it, the more I start thinking I need it.. grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I can tell you that the second hand Montana in 6.5 CM I got for a whopping $800 is a peach. No issues feeding, or shooting in the accuracy dept! I was plinking prairie dog steel targets at 430 yards with it a few days ago.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by tzone

Geez, sounds like a great rifle. Sorry to see you had to sell it. I'll probably go back to the fun store and really check out this 6.5 creed they have there again. The more I fondle it, the more I start thinking I need it.. grin

I didn't have to sell it. I'm a loony....you know how it goes. I REALLY wish they made one in .223.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have had three Kimbers. Now two, but a friend just had to have one of them, it was s shooter, and I sold it to him.

As far as the extraction video, I got back a re-barreled pre 64 70 from a great Smith and it did the same. How it got thru is odd, but he put on a new extractor and the issues was solved. NBD in the long run.

If I had the need for another factory rifle, it would be a Kimber 84 Montana.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I would love to get a Kimber 84 of some sorts in .280 AI, but I'm not big on playing roulette.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Have 4 in my safe now and expect to add a Kimber Pro Varmint in 204 Ruger next month. not concerned about Roulette, 5 for 5 so far.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Besides the ejection issues it won’t feed the last round in the clip.

Can you elaborate on this. Do you mean it won't feed the last round loaded i.e. with a full magazine, or it won't feed with just one round in the magazine? If it's the former it's an easy fix that was addressed shortly after the 84M Hunter debuted at the SHOT show. If it's the latter please take a photo of the case head presentation with just one round in the magazine. Simply remove the bolt, insert a loaded magazine and look down the bolt hole. The magazine was designed to place the case head in the "perfect" position with the top of the primer barely visible at the bottom of the bolt hole providing as much of the case head as possible to the bolt face. Hunter rifles have significantly more case head presentation than any of the blind or trap door magazine variants from Kimber. If the magazine spring isn't defective, or the feedlips haven't been deformed due to the magazine being dropped there's no way for the bolt not to strip a round from the magazine.

[email protected]
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Besides the ejection issues it won’t feed the last round in the clip.

Can you elaborate on this. Do you mean it won't feed the last round loaded i.e. with a full magazine, or it won't feed with just one round in the magazine? If it's the former it's an easy fix that was addressed shortly after the 84M Hunter debuted at the SHOT show. If it's the latter please take a photo of the case head presentation with just one round in the magazine. Simply remove the bolt, insert a loaded magazine and look down the bolt hole. The magazine was designed to place the case head in the "perfect" position with the top of the primer barely visible at the bottom of the bolt hole providing as much of the case head as possible to the bolt face. Hunter rifles have significantly more case head presentation than any of the blind or trap door magazine variants from Kimber. If the magazine spring isn't defective, or the feedlips haven't been deformed due to the magazine being dropped there's no way for the bolt not to strip a round from the magazine.

With a fully loaded magazine shoot eject shoot eject and when the last round comes up it has been pushed forward by the the other rounds being fed. This causes the bolt to skip right over the case and not feed. Leave one round out of the magazine and all feed correctly. I have a second replacement magazine and the issue is not there with that magazine. Kimber said to send it back for inspection. It’s just another issue that can be fixed or tweaked but that’s the whole issue I have with the rifle. New Kimber rifles shouldn’t need tweaked to operate. Others may disagree.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,267 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,380
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.