Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by ringworm
Originally Posted by USSR1991

Yeah...I think that when I put a couple 9MM bullets from a PPK center mass, they are going to be as effective as if they came out of a G26.

Have seen deer killed with a .22 rimfire. That doesn't make it a deer cartridge or particularly "effective".

Don

So, by that logic, we should all carry 50AE?
I assure you...I am quite confident in a .380s ability to stop a threat at a reasonable distance.
I'm not carrying a weapon on the thin chance I'm confronted by a 6-4", PCP smoking, Samoan wearing a leather coat charging at me from 20 yards away.
I also don't wear neck knives, photojournalist vestsr or carry a "CCW badge".
Reality got to me early I guess.

You maybe quite confident, but I wouldn't be.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
....I assure you...I am quite confident in a .380s ability to stop a threat at a reasonable distance......Reality got to me early I guess

If you actually ever shot anything but paper with it, reality might get to your confidence.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
What would you suggest I shoot to simulate an armed response?
Please... Feel free to list the multitude of shootings you've been involved in for us , Harry.

Who said I ever shot paper?
I just fill it up with ball and toss it in my purse.... Yawn.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Please... Feel free to list the multitude of shootings you've been involved in for us , Harry.

Feel free to list the multitude of shootings you've been involved in as well. Also how many were with the 380.

Last edited by jwp475; 01/19/17.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My 28 years toting a pistol concealed and 8 in a duty rig would surely bore this salty crowd.
I obviously have much to learn hereon the internet... since I've made it this far on pure luck.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
My 28 years toting a pistol concealed and 8 in a duty rig would surely bore this salty crowd.
I obviously have much to learn hereon the internet... since I've made it this far on pure luck.

With many documented instances of bad guys being shot multiple times with 9mm, 40 S&W, 45, etc and even AR-15's,. That would indicate this statement to be hopefull, more so than definitive.

I assure you...I am quite confident in a .380s ability to stop a threat at a reasonable distance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

We're not talking tactics here, just effectiveness of a handgun. You could start with trying to kill something bigger than a cat with it. Multitude of shootings? Yeah, I've killed a multitude of living things with handguns. Mostly not bigger than a jackrabbit. I got rid of my one and only .380 many moons ago. No confidence in it here after seeing its lack of penetration. If it's all one can carry, it beats a pointy stick. But confidence inspiring, it is not.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

(sic)
I'm not carrying a weapon on the thin chance I'm confronted by a 6-4", PCP smoking, Samoan wearing a leather coat charging at me from 20 yards away.
(sic)

Some of us live where there is a good chance of being confronted with a 6'-4" Samoan wearing a winter coat, though PCP doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

I think most rational people realize there is a minimum amount of penetration required to reliable hit the vitals. Also most rational people realize the 22rf, 25 acp, 32 acp and 380 just don't have enough power to reliable achieve that goal in real world situations.

If you're going to sneak up and slip one behind the ear, then those rounds are fine. But that use doesn't fall under a typical DLP shooting, in fact it would most likely be considered murder.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

(sic)
(sic)

Some of us live where there is a good chance of being confronted with a 6'-4" Samoan wearing a winter coat, though PCP doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

I think most rational people realize there is a minimum amount of penetration required to reliable hit the vitals. Also most rational people realize the 22rf, 25 acp, 32 acp and 380 just don't have enough power to reliable achieve that goal in real world situations.

If you're going to sneak up and slip one behind the ear, then those rounds are fine. But that use doesn't fall under a typical DLP shooting, in fact it would most likely be considered murder.

I've seen 22LR out penetrate a 380 before, they aren't much but better than nothing. Can't understand why anyone without physical limitations would choose one for his primary weapon.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mental limitations?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

(sic)
(sic)

Beg to differ. Ball from a 380 is quite deadly and capable of punching the spine and large vessels alongside it, on frontal shots.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by SargeMO

(sic)
(sic)

Beg to differ. Ball from a 380 is quite deadly and capable of punching the spine and large vessels alongside it, on frontal shots.

Maybe, we have a member here that was shot at point blank range in the chest with a 6" 38 special and the bullet cracked his chest bone but did not make it inside the chest cavity. He grabbed the revolver and hit the guy over the head hard enough to crack his skull open.
I've shift ball Ammo from a 380 and was not impressed at all with the penetration.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
380 and even good 32ACP BALL penetrates well enough to be effective for defense.
The Germans and later the Russians with the Makarov proved it.
All you need is reasonably hot ammo.

Last edited by night_owl; 01/20/17.

abusus non tollit usum
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by night_owl
380 and even good 32ACP ball penetrates well enough to be effective for defense.
The Germans and later the Russians with the Makarov proved it.
All you need is reasonably hot ammo.

That's why they are still preferred, by most law enforcement agencies and militaries?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Selling weapons to military and law enforcement is a business. For many decades American cops carried weak 38 Special RN rounds in nice quality revolvers - good guns and usually effective.
Hot 380 ball probably penetrates better than those old 38s.

Last edited by night_owl; 01/20/17.

abusus non tollit usum
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Selling weapons to military and law enforcement is a business. For many decades American cops carried weak 38 Special RN rounds in nice quality revolvers - good guns and usually effective.
Hot 380 ball probably penetrates better than those old 38s.

If you think that is effective, you're probably interested in ocean front property in Nevada.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So all the police departments who carried 38 SPL from the 1920's through the 1980's were being slaughtered on account of the wimpy 38 Special?

The human body is not particularly strong and a well-placed 380 or 38 Special round will do quite a number on the receiving end.

abusus non tollit usum
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
So all the police departments who carried 38 SPL from the 1920's through the 1980's were being slaughtered on account of the wimpy 38 Special?

The human body is not particularly strong and a well-placed 380 or 38 Special round will do quite a number on the receiving end.

They learned and moved on, requirements changed as did the bad guys.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most police sidearms are carried and not put into service. Most police officers are very poor shots with hand guns. Most police sidearms are carried for deterrence. Most cops that die on the job do so because they were killed before they could put their sidearm into action.

None of those factors address whether or not the 32 acp, 380 auto or 38 special are good man stoppers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
During the revolver era in American law enforcement, cartridges (much) more powerful than 38 Special were readily available for the police revolver. That the 38 Special predominated suggests that it was considered adequate.

abusus non tollit usum
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
771 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 77 invisible), 3,028 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,368
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.