24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the 75 in wood. Think they are fine rifles. Don't think I've ever seen an 85.

BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The crf is going to hurt your accuracy and malfunctions as much or more than a non-crf. I'm just sayin'.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Swampy,

CRF is not gonna hurt accuracy in a hunting rifle. You get benchrest and hunting accuracy confused all the time.

JM

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the valuable feedback on this so far.

Greatly appreciated.

Gus

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have 2 Sako's a synthetic stainless model 75 in .270wsm and
a Grey Wolf in 75.308 win both are flawless and both will give
.5 moa if I do my part. They are balanced well, my one & only
complaint is they seem heavier than I like, the Grey Wolf in
particular.Part of my problem is I am addicted to my .280 rem
in Weatherby Ultralight which makes everything I touch seem heavy.

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by wrongtime
I am intrigued by these rifles; but keep wondering if they are really worth the money asked.

They are the finest production rifle made. I am a cheap person by nature and I was damn tired of having Remingtons, Winchesters and Rugers that would shoot 2 to 3 inch groups at 100 yards. I was tired of 6 and 8 pound trigger pulls also.

My first Sako was a 75 in 300 ultra that would average in .3's (3 shot groups)with 180 grain partitions. I have bought a few more since then... grin

The only problem with owning Sako's is you won't want to buy Remington, Winchesters and Rugers any more.

Dink

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Swampman700
The crf is going to hurt your accuracy and malfunctions as much or more than a non-crf. I'm just sayin'.

Your sayin' is wrong.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The only way to compare a Sako to a Remchester is that the Sako is svelte compared to the domestics. Owned Remington, Savage, Winchester, and Ruger and they don't compare out of the box.

Sakos might have a crummy synthetic stock but they performed and the stock is the least of my worry and I point it at critters while hunting and they fall over dead. Never have had to worry about accuracy, failure to feed/extract. They work.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Still trying to figure out why anyone wants a CRF???

I'm still trying to figure out how someone as Stupid as you learned to type................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gus_K
Been on the Chuck hawks web site reading a review on the sako 85.
Whilst he does praise it in some regards, in others he is a bit critical of the "so called" control round feed and the magazine box arrangement.

Any cause for alarm??

Cheers
Gus

Sako 85's aren't really a pure CRF because a tri-lugged bolt doesn't allow for a claw extractor. The shell moving forward is retained by the extractor later in the cycle on a M-85 because the extractor has to be higher to fit between 2 of the 3 lugs. A 2-lug bolt with a claw extractor can control the round quicker out of the magazine.

All of which matters little.

Sako's feed smoother than just about any other common bolt gun save a Sauer. They also have actions properly sized to feed rounds. Note that the WSM action is wider than the normal short action for 308's and such. This is so that the fat little WSM rounds can stack better for proper smooth feeding. This probably contributes as much or more to smooth feeding as does what type of extractor you have.

Sako's are darn good rifles. Maybe they are a little boring because you just put a scope on them and go shoot good groups. No rebedding, restocking, barrel tuning, lug lapping, recrowning or other accuracy tricks we are used to doing to other rifles are necessary. If you want a lighter trigger there is one screw to turn. They just work, no muss, no fuss just great shooting rifles...............................DJ

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a used 85 that I will trade for a new 84.

Anybody?

grin

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I am not so discriminating when it comes to buying rifles. Since my Sako AV I have bought a Win 94, Tikka 695, Ruger MKII-paddle stock, Sako A7, Sauer 90. They all shoot reasonably well, better than I am capable of. I can shoot my ugly duckling Ruger just as well as my beauty queen Sauer. The problem is, I can find some appealing features in every rifle.
Having sayd that, the new Sako 85 Classic Deluxe (go to sako.fi) promises to be everything you'd ever want/need in a modern sporting rifle. High grade walnut with palm swell, single set trigger, hinged floor plate, open sights, barrel band. If Beretta was gracious enough to bring it to us mortals, possibly cal 7X64 I'd consider living on bread and water for a half a year to get it.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by CLB
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
First mistake is paying attention to anything Chuck Hawks writes..

I struggle often with figuring out who actually likes what he writes...

I started reading Chuck Hawks and soon realized a subscription was a waste of $$.

What woke me up was when he praised Vanguard's and slammed Tikka's as over priced poor shooting guns.

Ted
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
IMO Sako's are overrated. I've owned 3 now cause I'm a glutton for punishment with a short memory. Quality construction is undeniable but the design leaves something to be desired. A 3 lug bolt with a standing ejector at 6 oclock isn't a good idea. 2 of my 3 eject empties up into the scope. One did it so bad the empty would land back in the chamber usually backwards. My last purchase was a 270Win 85 classic. Beautiful stock but the beadblast had a candy cane pattern where it was beadblasted unevenly. Sent that back and the replacement is one of the worst shooting rifles I've ever had. Shoots most factory ammo over 2". Overrated.....Yep. Won't send it back for fixin either. 3 strikes your out.

Oh yeah. Don't care for the way the squared off belly carries on the 85's either. They're fat on both sides of the magazine.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Horseman

Oh yeah. Don't care for the way the squared off belly carries on the 85's either. They're fat on both sides of the magazine.

That is the main thing I disike about the 85.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sent that back and the replacement is one of the worst shooting rifles I've ever had. Shoots most factory ammo over 2". Overrated.....Yep.

Every single Sako 75 and 85 has to shoot a 5 shot 1" group with factory ammo before it can leave the factory. I'll bet that there's dozens of shooters here that have shot sub 1" groups with theirs. I've had more than a dozen that shot sub MOA. If you were shooting 2" groups maybe it's your own shooting ability that's overrated. If you are getting 2" groups it ain't the gun........................DJ

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Been shooting competitive benchrest at my local club for years. I own dozens of rifles and am confident in my shooting abilities. Many of my rifles shoot well under 1moa from a bench with handloads. I know it's hard for you to accept but not all Sako's are tackdrivers. I have no reason to lie. I'd love to not feel like I wasted my money on them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been shooting competitive benchrest at my local club for years. I own dozens of rifles and am confident in my shooting abilities. Many of my rifles shoot well under 1moa from a bench with handloads. I know it's hard for you to accept but not all Sako's are tackdrivers. I have no reason to lie. I'd love to not feel like I wasted my money on them.

Once again, every single one of them shot a 5 shot sub-moa group before they left the factory. Why wouldn't yours?................DJ

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
There may be a factory load it would shoot 1". But for $1900 I would like it to shoot better than just one load hovering at 1".

I tried 5 different bullets known for accuracy in various weights and 4 different factory loads. One of the handloads could just barely get under 1" but most were closer to 2". It shot a couple different factory loads over 2.5". I don't want a rifle that's that picky and I've been spoiled by other great shooting rifles I own. It's not uncommon today to buy a rifle that will shoot cloverleafs with the right handloads. Unfortunately after 3 Sako 85's none of them have impressed my at the bench.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
i bought a .243 sako in 1968. shot everything i put in it less than and inch most less than a half. trigger pull is 1.87 pounds now that i have a measuring device. the magazine feed is flawless. worth all my saving to spend a little more. guns last a long time. unfortunately barrels do not.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
770 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 77 invisible), 3,029 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,368
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.