-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So I have been doing more whitetail guiding the past few years and am thinking of getting some new binoculars. I have two excellent binos now, some Zeiss 7x42 BGAT and Swarovski 7x42 SLC. I have used these for years, because hunting for myself in North Texas, FINDING a deer was more important that EVALUATING a deer. But in guiding, I need to be able to evaluate the better bucks. My question for those that have done this for a while is 1) What are you currently using 7x, 8x, 10x, etc and 2) if you are using a lower magnification, like 7x, has it ever hampered your ability to judge a buck and would a 10x have changed that to any measurable degree? When and if I get another pair, they will be either Swarovski, Zeiss, or Leica.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
To find game I mainly use a Swaro SV 10x50 (finest binocular on the planet as far as Im concerned), and sometimes my Tract Toric 8x42 which is exceptionally good.

To evaluate trophy status I break out my Meopta S2 spotter.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, that was my other thought - getting a spotter instead.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was doing a fair amount of guiding, I used either a Swaro 10x42 EL or a 10x42 SLC, and I always had a spotting scope--in my pack, in the truck or on the UTV. I would be inclined to hang onto the 7x42 and add a good variable power spotting scope.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BRISTECD

I'll let you test out my spotter to see how well a nilgai bull looks through it if you'd like. I must be standing there next to you with my rifle of course.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Might be easier if I just drive out to West TX. I'll throw my rifle in just in case, LOL.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If you ever get out this way you need to let me know. Leave the rifle at home though.....if you can whack nilgai bulls I know you an whack our measley game.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

You have the binos, time for a spotter.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I can hand hold while standing 7X binos, when I get to 10X's I have to sit down or lean on something for stability. Mostly I use 7X's and then get out some serious glass 12-40X spotting scope for serious consideration/evaluation. Close in the spotter is not needed. If it is, they are far enough out that one has a ton of time for evaluations.

I tend to big sky canyon country though and a large field of view is needed for the game finding aspect.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/15/17.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you're not needing to evaluate game at super long distances you could get a pair of 15's too. I use my 15's a lot in Mexico when the window of opportunity is typically pretty quick and you don't have time to set up a spotter

I use my 10's, my 15's and a spotter but if you're not "glassing" a bunch and need a spotter to evaluate animals at long distances the 15's may be the ticket

Last edited by huntsonora; 01/15/17.
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by huntsonora
If you're not needing to evaluate game at super long distances you could get a pair of 15's too. I use my 15's a lot in Mexico when the window of opportunity is typically pretty quick and you don't have time to set up a spotter

I use my 10's, my 15's and a spotter but if you're not "glassing" a bunch and need a spotter to evaluate animals at long distances the 15's may be the ticket

This^^^. In the wide open spaces of west Texas, you learn 15x is not too much. I may steady them on a telescope on tripods or on a tall shooting bipod if crossing country on foot, but Im looking for antlers blending in with a mesquite bush a buck is bedded under while laying in tall love grass as much as for a deer and at quite some distance. I can hold the 15x still enough to spot a standing deer a long way but need a steady support to see a rack above the grass.

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/16/17.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Leica duovids.

Spot in 10x, evaluate in 15x.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I use my binoculars 90% of the time and if you need to evaluate trophies before committing, then a spotting scope. I live in MT, so I like 10 power binoculars with range finder in them. That was the best thing I ever did for guiding optics. I still carry another range finder, but having one in the glasses is so quick and easy to get the range for the client. If you are guiding for a living get the very best Swarovski, Leica, or Ziess. They will pay for themselves quickly.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Depends on what and how you're hunting too. I pack all three much of the time 10s,15s and a spotter. In the big open country I hunt and how I hunt-on my butt glassing far- the 15s get used the most. Even at 2-3 miles I can tell if a bull is big enough or ram old enough to get a closer look. If I have to spit out a score you have to get closer and the spotter comes out. Archery elk hunting where I'm running and gunning so to speak is where the 10s come in. But I'm actually thinking about dropping to 8s that would be more user friendly in that situation. If you are having to judge a score to the inch or ID a specific deer a tripod mounted optic whether binos or spotter would definitely be required.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Recommending optics without knowing the country someone hunts, or how good (or bad) they are at holding steady, is sort of like recommending a size 10 boot for someone without knowing the size of their foot - it might work for them or it might not.

I hunt some very open country in NM and love my 15x Swaro binoculars for that. They're tripod-only but to me are a lot more comfortable to sit behind than my spotting scope.

I used to use Swaro 10x42's too but I found that for extended glassing I held 8x42's steadier.

A lot of folks pick up 10x binoculars in a store, look through them for a few seconds and buy them, but that's not the same as glassing for an hour straight in the cold and the wind.

Gig Em, by the way!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
10x is perfedt

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by BRISTECD

Good thought, but not an "instead"

Keep your binoculars for spotting, use the spotter for evaluating.

Just my opinion since I'm a "sport"/meat hunter, only interested in "legal". But if'n I were you....

And yes- I do have a spotter, as well as binoculars. Saves a lot of walking/wasted stalks for me sometimes.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'd keep the 7x binos for all-around use, and get either 15x binos or a spotter depending on what type of hunting you do.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 62 invisible), 2,847 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,707
Posts18,456,861
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.