Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Brand new Kimber Hunter in 6.5 creedmore. Bought nosler 140 gr loaded ammo and went to the range. Absolutely the worst gun I have ever shot. Avg 3 inch groups. Tried cleaning between shots and not cleaning with no results. On top of the horrible groups it will only eject a round half of the time. When the round is extracted halfway out it falls out of the claw and remaines sitting on top of the mag. Other times it will hold the round and eject it normal. I tried marking the brass to see if it was caused by the nosler brass but it did not matter how the round was put in the chamber. Does the same with empty and loaded rounds. It is going back to Kimber asap. Anyone have issues like these with their kimbers?

BP-B6

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have two 308s and they are both tack drivers with three or four brands of ammo but I didn't try the nosler ammo. I would try a different type of ammo like hornady match before I sent it back but a 3 inch group sounds like some big problems.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If that was my rifle, I'd try some Hornady factory ammo to see how well that works.

Sucks to spend that kind of $$ and not have it working reliably right out of the box.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Nateknight
Brand new Kimber Hunter in 6.5 creedmore. Bought nosler 140 gr loaded ammo and went to the range. Absolutely the worst gun I have ever shot. Avg 3 inch groups. Tried cleaning between shots and not cleaning with no results. On top of the horrible groups it will only eject a round half of the time. When the round is extracted halfway out it falls out of the claw and remaines sitting on top of the mag. Other times it will hold the round and eject it normal. I tried marking the brass to see if it was caused by the nosler brass but it did not matter how the round was put in the chamber. Does the same with empty and loaded rounds. It is going back to Kimber asap. Anyone have issues like these with their kimbers?

Life is a struggle. Keep peddling easy street is just around the corner.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I can't speak for the ejection problem but you may want to check if the front scope mount screw is contacting the barrel threads or if the front action screw is bottoming out.

That used to be a more common issue on Kimber Montana's effecting accuracy.

Here is a thread on common issues with Kimber Montana's:
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8486078/1

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try Hornaday ammo first. I have the same rifle and it shoots an inch and under with three different loads from Hornaday. I thought I had ejection trouble at first but you need to be aggressive working the bolt, don't baby it. Barrel will heat up fast so go slow between shots.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have the same rifle as well. It shoots three different Hornady factory loads into an inch or better at 100 yards. The bolt must be pulled rapidly to the rear for the Mauser style ejector to eject the case quickly. If you withdraw it slowly,the case with barely clear the action. This is different from the spring loaded ejectors on most push feed rifles,but can be used to your advantage. Run it slow if you want to keep your brass close at hand on the bench. In the field,take Jeff Cooper's advice and show that bolt no mercy.

I would run the bolt hard and try Hornady Ammo. Most likely all you need to do.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
send it back

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'd send it back as well and make them deal with it. Nosler ammo ain't the problem.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I definitely wouldn't send it back without trying another flavor of ammo.

IC B3

N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
When I contacted Kimber they said that gun should in no way act like that and they wanted it back to see what's up. Even if the bolt is slamed forward and back open it will let loose of the round and won't kick it out. Do it again and it may kick it out 3 ft so I'm lost on that one. I don't mind sending it back but they said it would be a 10 week turn around because they are behind. So that's a bummer. They said when it returns it will have test targets and they will state what ammo was used to get the results. I will defiantly try some hornady ammo when it returns.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Nateknight
When I contacted Kimber they said that gun should in no way act like that and they wanted it back to see what's up. Even if the bolt is slamed forward and back open it will let loose of the round and won't kick it out. Do it again and it may kick it out 3 ft so I'm lost on that one. I don't mind sending it back but they said it would be a 10 week turn around because they are behind. So that's a bummer. They said when it returns it will have test targets and they will state what ammo was used to get the results. I will defiantly try some hornady ammo when it returns.

I had similar experience with Kimber 7 years ago. Mine was a 257R Kimber Select. Beautiful rifle but first trip to the range the rifle was basically shooting everywhere. I sent it back. They replaced the barrel and returned with with a nice group on a target. It's been a great shooter since. It was aggravating ordeal but Kimber took care of it so i give them Kudos for that.

Scott
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A good .22lr can shoot much better than 3inches on a fair day.

Ammo change isn't going to fix much.

laissez les bons temps rouler
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Bad roll at kimber roulette, i feel your pain....I sent my Montana back to Kimber for accuracy and ejection issues and it was gone 4 months so id say 10 weeks is rather optimistic on getting your rifle back......I wish you the best of luck with your Kimber........Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by battue
A good .22lr can shoot much better than 3inches on a fair day.

Ammo change isn't going to fix much.

Really? Its not uncommon for guns to like one kind of ammo better than another, to the degree fo 1-2MOA difference isn't uncommon, especiallly when dealing with a lightweight field rifle like the kimber hunter. Multiply that by shooters habits, optics setup, range conditions, etc. 3" from a perfectly fine gun isn't unreal and doesn't necessarily mean the gun is faulty. My adirondak will shoot 2.5-3" groups with 150 grain ammo, but with 165-168 gr. target and multiple brands of hunting ammo it will shoot 1" all day long if i do my part (mostly being patient and letting the barrel cool between shots) for a 6lb gun, scoped and loaded witha. Sling, thats not too bad...

The ejection issues are a concern though. Might be headspace issue causing brass to swell/stick, this would also explain accuracy issues, and If I were kimber I'd want to see it also. In fact I want the OP to send it to me to play with and see if I could diagnose it :]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Really. A rifle made right shoots most anything good within twist constraints and somethings excellent. Finicky rifles that only shoot a couple exact loads good are not all that much fun to mess with.

Have a few Nula's, hard to make them not shoot an inch and you don't have to squirm just right or wait around for the barrel to cool.

Have two Kimbers that while not as good will pretty much do the same. The one that is FLB is better at it than the one FF.

Addition: Will admit that within the ranges most of us take game, and from field positions, a 3in rifle should kill most everything quickly.

Last edited by battue; 01/13/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bummer dude, but at least they're owning up to the problem, unlike some we could name. Plus, you're not going to need it soon for hunting season, so send it back and let them sort it out.

Just curious; are they providing a shipping label like Ruger does (if you fuss a bit)?

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
If that was my rifle, I'd try some Hornady factory ammo to see how well that works.

Sucks to spend that kind of $$ and not have it working reliably right out of the box.

You wouldn't worry about the extraction issues huh????? crazy. I know, the op said it wasn't ejecting right, but if a fired cartridge just lays on the follower after pulling it out half way and doesn't eject, it sounds more like a bad extractor from the op's description of what's happening...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 54Woody
Try Hornaday ammo first. I have the same rifle and it shoots an inch and under with three different loads from Hornaday. I thought I had ejection trouble at first but you need to be aggressive working the bolt, don't baby it. Barrel will heat up fast so go slow between shots.

A good rifle will work well, regardless of how fast or slow you pull the bolt handle back... wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'd send it back as well and make them deal with it. Nosler ammo ain't the problem.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
310 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.