24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I'm looking to buy a crossbow for deer hunting and I don't know much of anything about them. I've been looking online at the Centerpoint Sniper 370 Crossbow package for $279 at Walmart and Amazon https://www.amazon.com/CenterPoint-Sniper-370-Crossbow-Package/dp/B01H7KULFO
and the Wicked Ridge™ Invader G3 ACU-52 Crossbow Package on sale for $479.99 at Cabelas http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...GUID=&destination=/user/wishlist.jsp .
They both got really good customer reviews and seem to be reasonably priced. Do you guys think they are good packages or would you recommend something else in the same price range. I hunt from the ground if that makes a difference.
Thanks.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, Get a crossbow!

As a rifleman with a lifetime of experience the bow was always 'just something else'. While I got the lessons and permits I never was all that interested.

However crossbows are cool.

I can shoot the one I got in my basement or backyard, there is no noise, and I do.

They say that crossbows are more accurate and have more range than a long bow.

The Barnett Recruit Recurve model I got was not expensive.

Barnett Recruit crossbow

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Either should be a good choice. The Centerpoint is a rebadged Chinese bow, but seems to have good quality control and gets great reviews for the price. The Wicked Ridge is Ten Points low end line, and is made in America as far as I know. I have shot one of the WR bows and the trigger was terrible. Not sure if they are all like that or if they can be smoothed out. The CP bows from what I hear have a decent trigger. If I were buying in that price, I would likely go with the Centerpoint or try to find a used Excalibur (lifetime warranty that seems to transfer ok).

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Take a look at the PSE Fang the best crossbow for the money. The scope they ship with it is junk. Do yourself a favor and purchase a good crossbow scope and you shooting and hunting will be much better.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Savage_99

Not true - the pronoun people should know better.

The same archery range limits apply to a crossbow, the energy is the same, just stored differently before the shot.

Crossbows are louder than vertical bows, some more louder than others, and you have to think through your shot, just like a vertical bow.

OP - either one of your choices will do well.

Very much agree with the post above - plan on investing into an optic for any low and mid-level crossbow, the factory optics are usually cheap and don't hold up well to hunting use.

Same with the factory bolts, they will work, but you'll need more the three that come with the crossbow by the time you finish sighting in.

Last edited by AH64guy; 12/29/16.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by AH64guy

The same archery range limits apply to a crossbow, the energy is the same, just stored differently before the shot.

Crossbows are louder than vertical bows, some more louder than others, and you have to think through your shot, just like a vertical bow.

Very much agree with the post above - plan on investing into an optic for any low and mid-level crossbow, the factory optics are usually cheap and don't hold up well to hunting use.

Same with the factory bolts, they will work, but you'll need more the three that come with the crossbow by the time you finish sighting in.

^This! As a bowhunter for the last 40 years, this is pretty sage advice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lightning

^This! As a bowhunter for the last 40 years, this is pretty sage advice.

Agreed. Add to that the timeless advice of NEVER take advice from DumbassDon (Savage_99).

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
What you are looking at are both compound crossbows. I'd factor in maintenance cost and look at the Exalibur recurve bows as well. I did a lot of looking and shooting and wound up buying a Matrix 330. I've killed 7 deer with it so far and a number of gophers. None of the deer twitched before the arrow went through. All 20 +- yard shots. It's accurate, I shoot the spots on playing cards at 20 yards for amusement sometimes. It pushes 500 grain arrows close to advertised speed.

It is wider which I do not seem to find a hindrance. The noise bothers me more than the deer, and it is quieter and about half the compounds. The maintenance is simple and easy to do by myself without extra tools. My string changer cost almost nothing. Excalibur has warranty service like Leupold. They just take care of it for you.

If I buy another crossbow it will likely be a Ravin which is way more expensive but has some really nice things it brings to the table.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While I'll probably never spring for one, that Ravin is a very cool looking setup!

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by pointer
While I'll probably never spring for one, that Ravin is a very cool looking setup!

I tested one. Advertised speed. 1/2 inch accuracy at 20 yards but I only used one arrow. About comparable noise to my Matrix.

A little heavy, points and moves more like a rifle. Cocking mechanism is good and will decock which will likely keep Travis from buying one. Narrower than the pictures imply. Scope sucks, poor reticle and struck me as poor low light performance but I didn't spend enough time under canopy at last light to be certain. Good trigger for a crossbow. Safety is a little clumsy. I would bet on it getting a lot better in the next iteration.

With all the local govt units that are getting into the management of their deer and the preferred means being bow hunting, the cost of that Ravin can be justifed since most of those deer do not count against a state imposed license/limit.

IC B3

Any opinions on the TenPoint Warrior G3 at $349.99 versus the Barnett DOA 2.0 at $499.99? Both are sale prices at Field and Stream but the Barnett was $799.99 full price I am told.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Tenpoint - the Barnett line isn't reviewing too well for most websites. I had a Wildcat, and it was not a good x-bow. It ate cables and strings within 100-200 bolts, and lacked accuracy in general. The DOA is the same family of x-bows, and I wouldn't expect it to be any better.

Save the $150 and get a good scope and some bolts.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
You get what you pay for! buy Cheap get Cheap! Im a big fan for the Excaliburs myself! 10 points are also great bows! Im selling my Excalibur, only to buy another one! Thinking $300.00 and 20 bucks more to ship, pm if intrested!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Started working with crossbows 3 years ago. I would make a point of getting your hands on whatever models you are considering, before you buy. So many are heavy and clumsy.
That said, I think the Barnett Recruit COMPOUND is a great place to start, accurate, compact, powerful, and disposable (inexpensive). Good customer service as well.
With that inexpensive experience under your belt, you will be in a far better position to decide where you want to go. Having since bought, and sold, 2 more expesive xbows,
other than the Recruit, I think other brands offer better choices, at most price points.
I ended up with a Bear for the recent season, and like it. Took a whitetail that dress out to 182#. My biggest ever.
My grandson used the 3 yr old Recruit to take his first deer a few weeks ago.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Spot on! I find I get less range from my Xbows. They are very accurate to extended ranges, but I get way more reaction to the shot than with my vertical. I've hit several deer much higher than I'd like even when they were in the 25yd range.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I started cheap and stayed that way. Figured to start cheap, a Horton Ultra-Lite and once learning to locktite all the fasteners she's been a consistent shooter. Had figured to upgrade but never had a reason to.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Parker Bushwacker! Outstanding value, 300 fps. Great trigger, consistent playing card accuracy at 40yds. My 7yr. old granddaughter shoots it. Low noise level .LIFETIME Warranty.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
The center point sniper 370 is as good as it gets for less than 600.00. Tons of good reviews on youtube. Three guys I work with have them and they're all very impressed. One sold his wicked ridge soon after he got the center point. After comparing the two side by side he said the center point clearly just blew it away.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
703 members (160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 68 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,558
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.