Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Lockhart
Remind me not to drink from your Nalgenes. eek

Ya don't pee in the Nalgenes! That is what empty gatoraid bottles are for. smile

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

BP-B2

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by ironbender

Have you tried blocking some of the radiator (bottom 1/2) with cardboard at those temps?

Nope, but I was considering doing so, if I have to travel any real distance anytime soon.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495

Dumb question I know... if it takes a bit of work with that much ice, wouldn't a small chain saw be easier? Until so cold that chains would shatter?

I used an axe and shovel to clean out the chunks after I broke them up before.

One morning at -14 I scooped out a large chunk of ice and it fell against my leg... cut my leg pretty good even through Wranglers.

Not fun.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by ironbender
Beer-box cardboard seems about perfect. I've also used heavy duty aluminum cooking foil to cover the grill.

Nice pics Mackay!

I never considered aluminum foil. That is a great idea. Thanks!

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by kingston
What's the story on those rims? Are they OEM?

Nope, the OEMs were rusty. These are 17" aftermarket jobs.

That said, I kinda wish I had sandblasted the old original ones and painted them. These steel ones are heavy, and the 17" tires cost a fair bit more than 15", though I do like the additional height.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by deflave
Was it lube or dirt that froze up?

And what lube were you using? I read the thread and if I missed it I apologize.

Travis

The lube gummed up, and I was getting light firing pin strikes. I heated up the BCG, taking 90% of the lube off. After that it ran flawlessly.

The next time out, when the temps get to 10 below or colder, I will give it a go with a super low viscosity oil.

It is 6 degrees currently. Not cold enough.

I remember reading a training bulletin back in the early nineties regarding the M16's propensity to go "bang-click" in very cold weather. The bulletin said to use LAW (Light Arctic Weapon lube?) instead of CLP.

I also remember my fist night in the field in Basic back in the eighties. Our canteens froze. I have hated the cold ever since. But keep this info coming please so we can stay current.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
This is the only place I've lived where a vehicle's heater couldn't compete with the cold and wind chill of driving 70mph down a road.

Full blast, defrost only and the ice just keeps growing. It's crazy how cold it gets here. In the 20's yesterday and today. Feels good.

Dave

Yeah 20s is T shirt weather!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the NOAA stations near Stanley reported 43 below zero *F last Friday early AM. I'd post a pic but this site and Photobucket aren't working too well for me lately. :grrrr:

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Was it lube or dirt that froze up?

And what lube were you using? I read the thread and if I missed it I apologize.

Travis

The lube gummed up, and I was getting light firing pin strikes. I heated up the BCG, taking 90% of the lube off. After that it ran flawlessly.

The next time out, when the temps get to 10 below or colder, I will give it a go with a super low viscosity oil.

It is 6 degrees currently. Not cold enough.

I remember reading a training bulletin back in the early nineties regarding the M16's propensity to go "bang-click" in very cold weather. The bulletin said to use LAW (Light Arctic Weapon lube?) instead of CLP.

I also remember my fist night in the field in Basic back in the eighties. Our canteens froze. I have hated the cold ever since. But keep this info coming please so we can stay current.

I've switched to 0-20 synthetic motor oil, so far it's works down to -20 and works good in warmer temps. CLP is too thin other than keeping a coat in the barrel and not so great on the BCG in warmer temps. I think LAW is only good to +30F.

Last edited by Stormin_Norman; 01/15/17.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You guys rock. Please keep these real life tips and tricks coming.

The wealth of information you can get from this site wi amazing.

I remember being young and hard. I don't have enough time or money to be stupid. It is good to weatherproof your gear. Now I know even better.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One I've found that can really warm you up at night whether in a sleeping bag or even a bivy sack is just to eat a candy bar. Great way to get your metabolism going when you feel like you are freezing half to death. grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had my door lock froze up and used the de-icer for the windshield, in it. Sprayed a little in the lock and I was able to get the key in and unlock the door. I would use it on my gun if it was froze up and I needed it to run.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 340boy
One of the NOAA stations near Stanley reported 43 below zero *F last Friday early AM. I'd post a pic but this site and Photobucket aren't working too well for me lately. :grrrr:

Minus 31 F. in N Custer county this morning at 8 a.m., looks like it is a new record for this date since the site I looked at shows that the previous record was minus 17 F. back in 1947. Our average for this time of year is 12 F.

Darned global warming anyway.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very interesting info. I can contribute a simple automotive trick - isopropyl alcohol freezes at -126°F, and is darn useful in your windshield washer tank. A couple of pints will prevent freezing. I've also used it to thaw out frozen wiper blades. Fairly cheap, too.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 340boy
One I've found that can really warm you up at night whether in a sleeping bag or even a bivy sack is just to eat a candy bar. Great way to get your metabolism going when you feel like you are freezing half to death. grin

You bet, but the candy bar is the 'kindling' for the internal fire.

A co-worker of my wife runs a boyscout troop with her husband. The kids can earn a fifty below badge sleeping out. 5 nights at -10; 1 night at -20 plus 1 night at -30; 1 night at -50, etc.

The feed the boys a candy bar or two plus sausage right before bed. They call the candy bar kindling and the fat in the sausage is the overnight log.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Very interesting info. I can contribute a simple automotive trick - isopropyl alcohol freezes at -126°F, and is darn useful in your windshield washer tank. A couple of pints will prevent freezing. I've also used it to thaw out frozen wiper blades. Fairly cheap, too.

FWIW, Up here at least, -20* wiper fluid is sold through the winter. That uses methanol (methyl alcohol) to depress the freeze point. It's available fairly cheap at most hardware stores.

Will isopropyl harm auto finish?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like a great outing...I wish I could just drive out of the cold and go home..Temp hit -30F this morning...I'll throw another log on the fire...
I run my firearms dry in the winter. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Plus I keep an empty bottle close at hand to pee into during the night, so I don't have to leave the tent. Taking a leak in freezing temps,after crawling out of a warm bag is no fun at all.

When I went to arctic survival school, I built a trench and sump into the floor for this purpose. I couldn't imagine opening my warm-ish snow shelter just to go out and pee.

It was 25 F inside the snow shelter and -42F outside, if I recall correctly.

Also, when I lived in Alaska and NP3 was just starting to be used on rifles, a few friends had their rifles coated and stoped lubing the rifles thereafter with no ill consequences that I know if of.

The coldest I've hunted in was -32F, hunting for 'bou outside of TOK. It was attention-getting. I'll never do that again on purpose.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Pee cup

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I know guys that used to wedge a plastic bottle of coke under the light bar and drive around awhile. Cooled it down real fast. But if they forgot them, they had a mess....

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (160user, 35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.