Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Anyone know of any, or is that the one I need?

Needing a new gps that's easy to read/use for multiple use...back country nav, fishing, road, world travel, mapping, ...The 64 has what I need, but I'm worried about screen size/use. I probably won't use it for driving a whole lot, except in emergencies or totally off grid areas of the world. I don't think I need the camera, but it won't hurt, unless it eats power a lot. I do need easily uploadable imagery/map data, great accuracy, nav features for land and water, and some sort of wireless connectivity when I lose a cable LOL. Compass, barometer, altimeter are a must. WAAS/Glonass are priorities.
Searches on the fire aren't getting me much on this one, since it's new. Again, if anyone knows better, or if even one of the rino versions can compete outside the FRS function, let me know. A pair of those could be useful, too.
Thanks

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 01/08/17.
BP-B2

KC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've been using a Garmin etrex Summit since 2004. It's simple and reliable.

I bought a Garmin 64ST because I wanted the digital maps. It connects faster than my old GPS unit but that's about the only thing that's better. I was initially disappointed with the maps that come with the standard 64ST package, so I paid for the high definition maps for western states and another set for Alaska. I'm even more disappointed in those. The screen is too small. There is not enough information on the maps. The unit operates too slowly. When you set it to find a way point it operates so slowly that it's just about useless. In fact worse than useless because it could send you off in the wrong direction. I've gone back to my old unit and I think the new 64ST will just gather dust in the drawer.

Those are the only two units that I'm familiar with. Don't know anything about the 680. I would not buy the Garmin 64ST. There must be better units than that. I hope you find a good one. Let us know if you do.

My buddy uses an app on his smart-phone and it's a lot better. Can't remember any info on that app. But it doesn't matter because the company has terminated offering the app for sale and no longer services it.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks....good to know. Was afraid of that. The 680 is pricey, but I'd think it'll be a better fit for all-around use as opposed to only serious backpacking and such. I'm not worried about a few ounces on a gps, when much of my extended backpacking would involve way heavier gear than any 'backpacker' would dare tote. Kayak fishing, backwater boat hunting/fishing, ATVs, and normal hiking/back country use will be 90% of it, with some crazy travels thrown in. I just want something adaptable and customizable with maps/imagery. I'm a bit more particular about those things, due to profession.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
A lot of us here have used the Garmin 64 for some pretty remote hunts. It works fine, and one of the big advantages of it over an older etrex is that in thick old growth canopy it maintains a signal. That is the reason most of us went to it in the first place. The unit obviously does not take the place of some laminated paper charts, but it is excellent for quick references like knowing where steep creeks are and where finger ridges are. It easily is and has been the best in class for backcountry navigating.

Phones still have a little ways to go before I'll ditch my Garmin. I do pack a phone instead of a camera, to bluetooth to my delorme, and for a second opinion. But when I have weight on my back and am heading downhill the Garmin is in my hand.

One thing to think about is that Garmin has acquired delorme. They might soon be integrating things like satellite texting and weather into one unit. I myself love my delorme for texting and weather updates when remote for extended periods of time.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Is that one better than the original one?

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
724 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,953 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,757
Posts18,401,358
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.