Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Been there! I went from Malta to Pocatello with a broken heater fan at temperatures between -5 and -35. Had to buy oversized cold weather boots to have room for more socks. It helped, but still had mighty cold feet.

Dale

BP-B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Love that country.. We spent the fall of 15 in that country loafing and doing a bit of hunting...

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks for the great photos and Info on the cold temp gun functioning. I've read a bit about the folks who live and work on the Svalbard Island group north of Norway and they made it pretty clear that oil/lube was verboten on their firearms(for polar bear protection). As I recall they went so far as to use solvent on all working parts to clean every bit of lube off, running them bone dry. Bolt guns were the norm and once the rifle left the protection of a warm building the rifles were left outside/cold room to prevent condensation buildup if they were brought back inside. Any ice formation would lock them up pretty quick.

I have a 1911 with the NP3 coating by ROBAR that has worked very well in cold temps. The teflon in the coating seems to prevent any ice to stick between parts.

I've nearly broken keys off as well when I had my FJ60(running an FJ80 presently). Started carrying a bic lighter in my pocket to heat up the key before putting it in the slot. Works pretty well.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by JSTUART

To be honest Mackay I am more interested in how the old 60 series held up to the cold.

It ran like a top, just never put out enough heat.

The door handles and locks were stiff to operate, and definitely could use a shot of graphite lubricant in the mechanisms.

Of course the same could be said for the firearms. A low viscosity oil would be highly recommended for temps this low.

Once I wiped off the regular teflon based lube, and was running the rifles almost dry, they ran perfectly.

I noted that the rifle powders and handgun powders are/were affected differently in the extreme cold.

Plus the extreme cold was hell on batteries. If I was planning on carrying guns in a martial capacity in sub zero temps, I would either have extra batteries along, and close at hand, or choose a non battery operated optic like an ACOG.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Thanks for the great photos and Info on the cold temp gun functioning. I've read a bit about the folks who live and work on the Svalbard Island group north of Norway and they made it pretty clear that oil/lube was verboten on their firearms(for polar bear protection). As I recall they went so far as to use solvent on all working parts to clean every bit of lube off, running them bone dry. Bolt guns were the norm and once the rifle left the protection of a warm building the rifles were left outside/cold room to prevent condensation buildup if they were brought back inside. Any ice formation would lock them up pretty quick.

I have a 1911 with the NP3 coating by ROBAR that has worked very well in cold temps. The teflon in the coating seems to prevent any ice to stick between parts.

I've nearly broken keys off as well when I had my FJ60(running an FJ80 presently). Started carrying a bic lighter in my pocket to heat up the key before putting it in the slot. Works pretty well.

When we do our December elk hunts, I leave our rifles on the porch, or in the back of the truck, for the same reasons you noted above.

The Bic lighter in the pocket to heat up a key is a smart move!

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

To be honest Mackay I am more interested in how the old 60 series held up to the cold.

It ran like a top, just never put out enough heat.

The door handles and locks were stiff to operate, and definitely could use a shot of graphite lubricant in the mechanisms.

Of course the same could be said for the firearms. A low viscosity oil would be highly recommended for temps this low.

Once I wiped off the regular teflon based lube, and was running the rifles almost dry, they ran perfectly.

I noted that the rifle powders and handgun powders are/were affected differently in the extreme cold.

Plus the extreme cold was hell on batteries. If I was planning on carrying guns in a martial capacity in sub zero temps, I would either have extra batteries along, and close at hand, or choose a non battery operated optic like an ACOG.

Since you are in inclement weather a lot, how are the gutters on the 60...have you any problem with rust?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for posting the pics!

Great idea SBTCO on the lighter and key thing.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by DHN
Been there! I went from Malta to Pocatello with a broken heater fan at temperatures between -5 and -35. Had to buy oversized cold weather boots to have room for more socks. It helped, but still had mighty cold feet.

Yep, such cold temps can play havoc on machinery.

I now have a couple of the green 1 pound propane bottles inside the old Land Cruiser, along with a little cookstove top. It puts out a pretty good amount of heat and does not take long to get the interior a fair bit warmer.

Plus I can have hot coffee or tea anytime, anywhere!

cool

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Mac,

Neat pics!

During the Anchorage PD academy, the firearms classes began the second week of December. We were on the range for a week with the warmest day -5F, the coldest day was -15F. We were using the ranges at Ft. Richardson, so we were at the base of the mountains and the wind was constant.

This was back in the revolver days (S&W Mod 13) and continuity of fire drills were quite the challenge. The practice ammo were using was reloaded .357 with 158gr cast SWC with an unknown (Unique?) really dirty powder. The second day we had a number of revolvers gummed up and failure to fire as well as students being unable to fire (everything was done double-action) due to frozen powder fouling & lube mix.
A good lesson there to thoroughly clean your weapons!

Keeping revolvers, 870's, and later, AR-15's, up and running in extreme cold is a challenge. The newer lubes make it better but, in the case of lubes, there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing". grin

I never liked the canister stoves as they were a PIA in really cold weather and preferred to use an MSR Whisperlight if I was backpacking, or a single-burner Coleman stove.

I have tent camped in -50F weather and never had a problem keeping either of them up and running.
The pics of your Landcruiser bring back fond memories. I had an FJ40 for a lot of years up there and do miss it.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M

Since you are in inclement weather a lot, how are the gutters on the 60...have you any problem with rust?

That is a somewhat common problem on the older FJ wagons, but my personal one spent the majority of it's existence in a dry ish climate, and when I had it painted a number of years back, there was no rust in the gutter area.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Great pics. COLD is hard on everything.

Can you imagine what our boys had to go through at Chosin fighting 150,000 Chinese in that kind of cold.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

When we do our December elk hunts, I leave our rifles on the porch, or in the back of the truck, for the same reasons you noted above.

The Bic lighter in the pocket to heat up a key is a smart move!

I did a December cow elk hunt here in MT. about 15-16 years ago. Friggin cold. Got down to -20 at night and I was camped out with 10x10 spike tent with a little Riley wood stove that would produce enough heat for about 20 min. before stoking again to maintain heat so obviously didn't last through the night. Had a good sleeping bag but regardless, in those temps a guy learns quick how to prioritize and organize for the little things in life, like taking a crap without freezing certain extremities. All good fun!

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
" ... I've nearly broken keys off as well when I had my FJ60(running an FJ80 presently). Started carrying a bic lighter in my pocket to heat up the key before putting it in the slot. Works pretty well."

Same here. My Ford F250 is not in a garage so the locks freeze. My old ZIPPO heats a lock key quickly and ZAPs the lock open with no effort.

Several years ago I had the firing pin freeze on my Ruger 77 (tang model), when elk hunting n.w. of DuBois, Wyoming. Pulled the bolt, disassembled it, washed it with white gas and then it worked perfectly. Since, hunting in really cold weather, I remove the oil from my rifle's internal parts.

Thanks for all the pictures and info, Mackay. Lots of snow over here... but no elk or deer in the neighborhood. Just two legged animals walking their four legged animals in the snow. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Ed,

Good info in your post.

I have had Smith revolvers freeze up, and the cylinder not rotate due to sub zero temps.

[Linked Image]

The fix was simple though.

I threw it on the dash of my truck with the heater running and continued the jackrabbit hunt with a .45 ACP Glock.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The lighter for the car locks/key trick is perfect. Why didn't think of that? crazy

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah I remember no vehicle doors locked in Kodiak for months at a time, and wiper blades raised at night. But we did not get real cold, 5 below would be eyebrow raising, the 6 yrs I was there. Man, I miss it!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 340boy
Mackay,
Great photos! Beautiful place over your way. I have noticed, in my own cold(-20 and lower) winter camping/slogineering epics that cold has some crazy effects on darn near everything. How does that cartridge stove do for you in subzero temps?

The canister stoves really don't run as well when you get to a certain sub zero temp. That said I have learned when I am outdoors in such weather to keep the canister inside a jacket pocket, and not exposed as much.

Great pics! Always nice to learn how things work when wet, hot, cold, dirty etc.. including us.. I recall as a youth once dressed warm enough for the super cold we had at the time, bowhunting. Doe came, I could not draw the bow much less anchor or shoot dresses as the michelin tire man.

We keep teh stove canisters in our sleeping bags in AK if the temps are dropping...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wife has wanted an older FJ ever since she bought the 2008 FJ Cruiser, and Blue is her favorite color.. she'd be jealous of your ride!!!

We've looked for old ones but given up, cost on good ones was steep. And we've decided to spend the money on the move to AK instead.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Great pics. COLD is hard on everything.

Can you imagine what our boys had to go through at Chosin fighting 150,000 Chinese in that kind of cold.

Funny you mentioned that, as last night I was watching some videos from Chosin, and not too long ago watched the PBS "Battle of Chosin".

It was bad enough to be grossly outnumbered, but to have weapons not work, and to be stuck out in such horrible conditions without being able to get/stay warm had to be beyond brutal and demoralizing.

Not to mention watching friends die due to exposure, lose fingers and limbs due to frostbite, etc had to be one of the worst things in their lives to ever deal with.

Plus watching the trucks haul away dead Americans who were frozen stiff and stacked like wood, had to have been heartbreaking.

Those guys who suffered through that have my utmost respect.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Read one of the Chosin books a few years ago, Fox Company maybe... was a sobering read.

Amazing what they managed to survive, well the ones that did...

Nothing but pure respect for those folks for sure.

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
569 members (222ND, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.