Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I hate discussions like this that turn otherwise friends into enemies. What you all should be bitching about - to the manufacturers is the lack of terminal ballistic details available to the consumer. I have a 30-year old Sierra manual that lists the best velocity range for every bullet they produced. With the velocities produced today there is no bullet that will be ideal at all ranges. If it is a long range bullet then is should be designed to open up well at lower end velocities; however, shoot it at a live target at 100 yards and that same bullet can open up like a grenade. Likewise hitting meat or bone - at higher or lower velocities - can give totally differening results.

I'm sure both bullets discussed will work for the gentleman but in differing scenarios - and only he can best predict which will fit his most likely hunting situation. I have not shot Bergers although I've read all that I can on them. Being in SC the opportunities for long range shots are very limited - if I lived out west, I would definitely give them a try at long range. However inspite of my less than lofty opinions of Nosler as a responsible ammunition manufacturer, I have used Nosler BT's and AB's and have had great if not totally predictable results. My qualifier is that I doubt that few if any shots (across all the different calibers I shoot) have ever impacted an animal over 3000fps. Bottomline, it is so easy to generalize negatives and positives from an isolated incident, especially when it is human nature to 'want' a desired outcome. As far as I'm concerned most of this is comparing apples and oranges.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Never mind that the sierra data is off by a bit needless to say....

Sierra makes good match bullets. The rest is just about junk.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Hard to beat that Lonny. Textbook IMO.

That's a cool bunch of recovered Accubonds. They look just about like any of the others I've been able to catch.

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by rost495
Never mind that the sierra data is off by a bit needless to say....

Sierra makes good match bullets. The rest is just about junk.

killed a lot of critters with Sierra hpbt game kings over the years. Accurate and dependable. Coyotes to elk.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by 340boy
I hope the "Accubomb" effect is over. I'm really hoping to use the .308 200gr variety in my 300 Win for elk?

Take a look over on Nosler. We've posted up quite a few Accubonds from animals and some water jug tests. I've got no issue using an Accubond anywhere I'd use a Partition. Especially the 7mm 160 and 200 308.. both have a great track record.

Here are the only two I have recovered, I know you have seen them but many others have not. No bullet failures here........

35 Whelen 200 gr Accubond from black bear, it is .660" across and retained 69% on it's weight, 2840 fps shot at around 50 yards

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

35 Whelen 225 gr Accubond from moose, it is .710" across and retained 84.9% on it's weight, 2760 fps shot at under 50 yards.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gerry.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Awesome pictures Gerry. Both of those look perfect.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hope the "Accubomb" effect is over. I'm really hoping to use the .308 200gr variety in my 300 Win for elk?

Take a look over on Nosler. We've posted up quite a few Accubonds from animals and some water jug tests. I've got no issue using an Accubond anywhere I'd use a Partition. Especially the 7mm 160 and 200 308.. both have a great track record.

I will do that. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm looking forward to shooting that 200gr Accubond. I've always had good accuracy and velocity(with the 200gr AB) out of various 30 cal magnums, just never killed anything with them, for whatever reason? Looking forward to changing that.

Last edited by 340boy; 01/14/17. Reason: text addition

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gerrygoat

Here are the only two I have recovered, I know you have seen them but many others have not. No bullet failures here........

35 Whelen 200 gr Accubond from black bear, it is .660" across and retained 69% on it's weight, 2840 fps shot at around 50 yards

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

35 Whelen 225 gr Accubond from moose, it is .710" across and retained 84.9% on it's weight, 2760 fps shot at under 50 yards.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Very impressive!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I will do that. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm looking forward to shooting that 200gr Accubond. I've always had good accuracy and velocity out of various 30 cal magnums, just never killed anything with them, for whatever reason? Looking forward to changing that.

That's a great choice in any 30 caliber Magnum. They're rough on elk and deer.

Semper Fi
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Respectfully Rost495, there has been more game taken with Sierra, Speer, and Hornady "old-school" bullets than all others combined. Remember that they did not have the technologies available today. The point I was making though, was that they gave the handloader the appropriate velocities to get the best terminal performance from their bullets and they posted plenty of feedback via customer reviews and photos as to the effectiveness on a specific species of game. Pretty damn thoughtful compared to today's corporate gimmickry marketing.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I agree on the info part. Of course if you knew Barnes you'd know they give the same info, impact above X fps suggested. AND they work way better than sierra.

I've killed, well lets just say a couple of deer before barnes ever came along...

And I still knew as a kid in grade school, that bullets should really perform more consisttently, then you'd know what to expect.

Of course it doesn't take much to kill a deer. Good old 22lr, and according to my mentor his father used 22 shorts for a lot of deer. Not in the head either.

Just cause a boat load of deer were killed with the 30-30 doesn't mean it didn't have flaws...

Having shot and seen deer shot from up close to far out, and with just about anything you can think of, except a spear, I've come to appreciate consistency. I've found that in Lehigh and Barnes. And berger isn't to far behind, they are much more consistent that Sierra... I should have been done with green, when I had one of their pistol bullets not open at all on a deer for my wife. Luckily she shot him in the heart, like she generally did with her archery kills. They told me not enough speed for their pistol bullet to open... and I said, really? Out of a 30-30 16 inch contender round?

I probably made a mistake years ago when starting out loading with a lee loader in grade school, and Speer bullets, should have never bought big green... speer did a lot more consistent for me.

But I digress... I don't know about gimmickry marketing, but I can do wihtout hunting shows, gadgets, high fives, and having to have everything on a show listed down to what real tree AP toilet paper helped with the kill...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Accubonds all day long.

this

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rost495
I should have been done with green, when I had one of their pistol bullets not open at all on a deer for my wife. Luckily she shot him in the heart, like she generally did with her archery kills. They told me not enough speed for their pistol bullet to open... and I said, really? Out of a 30-30 16 inch contender round?

A friend of mine had the same thing happen with a 168 TTSX out of a 24" .308 barrel at 60 yards on an elk. Bullet looked new, minus the tip. Lucky for him he hit it in the heart.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Rost, I could finish off my career using nothing but game kings and be fine with it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I haven't used these in the field yet, but my Weatherby Vanguard Back Country sure likes them.

[Linked Image]

It likes the 180 Partition just as much, though, and I have a great deal of positive experience with Partitions. If you go Berger on elk, I think JB would advise you to stay away from shoulder shots. From what I've read broadside through the ribs is the shot you want with Bergers.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Its funny how they guys that hit the animal bone/shoulder are complaining about the meat damage and blaming the bullet. (regardless of brand)

This guy I took out in October with 160gr AccuBond out of 7mm RM and there was no meat damage. And he was standing less than 50 yards from me so pretty much 3000fps.

just saying ...

[img]http://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...32c2a50ed3aa6e057a416d7a&oe=5906BEC5[/img]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have shot just about everything that I have killed with AccuBonds ever since they became available--both here and in Namibia. I have never had a "failure", regardless of how anyone would define it, nor have I recovered very many of them.

I will probably try a 185 TTSX on elk in my .330-06 Improved this year, just because it shoots very tiny groups with them. The '06 will be loaded with 168 Hunting VLDs because I want to see how they perform on game for me. Don't know if I will hunt deer this year, but if I do, I will be trying 115 Ballistic Tips in the .257 AI.

Why the changes? I am old and bored and have a lot of time to spend in the reloading room and on the range.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been impressed with the 130gr VLD out of both my 6.5 Creeds. Love the accuracy and everything shot has went less than 30-40yds.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by szihn

But I define any bullet that sheds its core as a failure if it does so in less then 18" of penetration. I define any bullet that sheds its core that is marketed as a suitable projectile for any game that can be dangerous to be a super failure.

I define any bullet, marketed for game over 50 pounds, that weight less than 30% of it's unfired weight after it stops as a failure.

These are bullet failures, not killing failures. Not even necessarily hunting failures. I am not here to insult anyone.

I guess we all view the world through our own filter.

In my view game bullets need to produce repeatable wound channels in game. Wound channels kill not retained bullet weights.

If a bullet reliably produces a wound channel of sufficient depth and volume to quickly kill the animal then it is not a failure no matter what the finale condition of the bullet.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I promise that the 140 AB on the left killed very quickly if not instantly. It weighed 59 gr afterward and the chest was a train wreck.

The two 140 gr BBC's on the right killed so fast I lost them in recoil.The damage was impressive. Retained weight was 98% plus.

People miss the point entirely with retained weight.....the retained weight is part of the design of the bullet and what makes it work,the same way a Berger or other work by blowing themselves to pieces.

[Linked Image]

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 7 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 739 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.