Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I have discovered some magical elixirs...Wipe Out with Accelerator and Ballistol.

I was looking for something with fewer warnings.

Wipe Out and its Accelerator companion are what they are described to be...outstanding. Ballistol can be used on anything practically and it's safe for humans.

I cleaned 8 firearms over the past couple of weeks, so I'm permanently switching to these three products.

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." Mark Twain
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
"The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." Mark Twain
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have used Wipeout exclusively for about the last year of so. I really like it. I do alot of load development and clean every 30-50 rounds. Never used Accelerator. I have only have to do the Wipeout thing more than once a few times. Sometimes I will shoot it in and leave 30_minutes or so and then a take a nylon brush back and forth a few times then run single patch though. Then shoot it in again and let it set for an hour or so. Comes out clean with 6-10 patches. Really like it.

Rick Grimes for Governor
"This isn't a democracy anymore"
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I agree...Wipe Out does work by itself. Does wonders when left overnight. Accelerator does speed things up. The amount of copper removed was astonishing...good stuff.

One clarification...I'm using Patch Out not Wipe Out aerosol.

Last edited by june6th1944; 01/08/17.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
i have been using KG products for a few years and tried Wipeout on my Steyr. It took three passes to clean out the bore. It was previously done in 10 minutes with KG products.

There are a ton of cleaning products out there and all have their pros and cons.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I'm also a fan of Wipe-out and Patch-out. The applicator nozzle attachment allows you to apply it from the action instead of spraying it in the muzzle and having the extra foam go into the action and trigger area. That is on bolt actions of course.

I read somewhere, could've been on here, where there is some evidence the Accelerator will etch a barrel if left in for a long period. Something to be aware of. Maybe google for more info.

Lastly, heed the warning on the can about not using it around varnish, oil finishes, etc. I accidentally got some Wipe-out on my old M1 Garand stock and it dissolved the finish almost immediately.

IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I really like Wipe-out too, and use it almost exclusively for cleaning my rifles.

My one complaint is cleaning it out of flash hiders on my AR rifles afterwards. I need to try Patch Out I guess.

Do make sure to oil your bores after using Wipe Out though, if they're going to sit for any length of time; it will cause rust otherwise.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wipe out, Patch Put, Accelerator, all go to products but Montana products work quiet well too especially the Copper Killer (BMG).

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Wipe out, Patch Put, Accelerator, all go to products but Montana products work quiet well too especially the Copper Killer (BMG).

This.
If I'm in a hurry I'll use Montana Extreme or Butches.
If it's a leisurely cleaning then I will often use the Patch Out.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Prwlr

You should try KG12 makes all copper killers obsolete. No smell either

I have tried everything and I mean every single copper cleaner. Wipeout, patchout ,accelerator I don't have time to spend screwing with wannabe's that have to sit out sometimes overnite before they are done.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've pretty much given up all cleaners since finding Wipeout. Once in while I use Montana Copper Killer, but that's reserved for something that is really copper fouled.
I still have a can of Ballistol, but did you ever read what is in Ballistol? Nothing magic. Pretty much just mineral oil, alcohol, some soapy fatty acids, and some essential oil for aroma. You can make Ed's Red or mix baby oil with SeaFoam and peppermint oil and have something more effective as a CLP.
Read page 8 about The Decomposition of the Components of Ballistol to see how mundane it is.
http://www.ballistol.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/MSDS_TECH_BIO.pdf

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Yes...mainly mineral oil plus the others. The acids are enough to keep breaking down oils, powder, lead and copper and they are safer in the long run.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Deflagrate
I've pretty much given up all cleaners since finding Wipeout. Once in while I use Montana Copper Killer, but that's reserved for something that is really copper fouled.
I still have a can of Ballistol, but did you ever read what is in Ballistol? Nothing magic. Pretty much just mineral oil, alcohol, some soapy fatty acids, and some essential oil for aroma. You can make Ed's Red or mix baby oil with SeaFoam and peppermint oil and have something more effective as a CLP.
Read page 8 about The Decomposition of the Components of Ballistol to see how mundane it is.
http://www.ballistol.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/MSDS_TECH_BIO.pdf

Minute I saw that it worked on leather , it was flagged as a waste of time. I have tried Clennzoil which works a lot like Eesox as a CLP

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Well, Ballistol is pretty benign if harsh chemicals are a problem for you. And it does work as a CLP. It smells good and leaves your hands soft too. The German Army used it for 40 years so I don't knock it, I just tried it and don't use it. I haven't used CLP or GI Bore Cleaner since I left the Corps either. It works, but some newer stuff is better, and as D-Day will tell you, much safer.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The use of a Lyman Bore scope that is around $200 delivered will check and see if your favorite this or that is working as well you hope it is.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ballistol is a good final product to finish up your barrel cleaning routine as an alternative to other products or gun oil. It will eliminate and neutralize any harsh chemicals or solvents you were using while protecting the bore like an oil would.

I started using Ballistol as a last step about 30 years ago when a highly respected bench-rest shooter claimed that he got consistently better accuracy from the first shot out of a clean, cold barrel with traces of Ballistol in the barrel as opposed to other oils. In other words, the paraffin-base Ballistol caused less variation than other oils or Hoppes #9 when the first shot was fired.

I use a wet patch followed by a dry patch and put the rifle away. The fact that it smells nice is a bonus.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I too have been using Patch-Out. I haven't used the accelerator, but will sometimes use a foam bore mop to really suds it up —working the rod in both directions.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A dozen or more strokes with a nylon bore brush also foams up the Patch-Out really well. Then letting it sit for a few hours or even overnight and it does almost all of the work for you.

I have stayed away from the accelerator, too, because I heard the warnings about it etching the barrels.

I use Wipe-Out and Patch-Out with equally good results. Patch-Out is usually a bit less messy, and one bottle sure lasts a long time, so it is cheaper to use than Wipe-Out.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ballistol isn't for copper, if that's what you're looking for. It's a powder solvent/lube/protectant. It's also great when there might be moisture in your bore or elswhere as it mixes with water instead of floating on it and the mixture, up to 10-1 water to Ballistol, still protects againt rust.

Where it really shines is as a solvent/patch lube/ protectant for black powder (real bp). Mixed with water at 4 or 5 to one, it cleans well and won't cause rust, and when you use it to protect the bore afterwards, any solution left in the bore will mix with the straight stuff. I've used the cleaning mix and the straight stuff as a patch lube at the range, but it might be too wet for field use, unless you put a felt wad or hornets' nest between the patch and powder.

Great stuff to have around, not just for guns either.

Last edited by Pappy348; 01/22/17.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Mixed with water at 4 or 5 to one,

"Moose Milk"

I used it for cleaning BP barrels.

That's not "cow pie" either.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,281
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.