Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by davidlea
Long

[Linked Image]

Short

[Linked Image]

Is that an LTR or an XCR CT? I have one of each. I shot the barrel out of the LTR and rebarreled it with an unfluted SS 5R barrel.

It is an LTR in .308 with my nephew behind it. I had wanted to give a short-heavy .308 a go and could not have been happier. Bought this as a barreled action here on the fire from a member (no history or round count) bought the LTR stock from another member. Bedded it, had Kampfeld put the knob on it and started shooting it. A lot. I never got 155 Scenars to do well but it loves the 168 Amax's.

Is the 5R barrel 20"? I'd love to put one together in some 6.5 version if the chance comes along. The nice thing about the LTR is that although it's fairly heavy it's really a handy package.

Last edited by davidlea; 01/06/17.

Golden............
BP-B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Wow! You found a bipod that supports the end of the stock...and fires it too...for $17!!!??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No love for Atlas?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
No love for Atlas?

[Linked Image]

The Atlas type is not as fast deployment as the Harris type.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Would you say the Atlas are better for range/competitive shooting than hunting? I've always used Harris but have been thinking of trying an Atlas. Just haven't got one yet due to the cost. Might not want one if they are not field friendly.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Would you say the Atlas are better for range/competitive shooting than hunting? I've always used Harris but have been thinking of trying an Atlas. Just haven't got one yet due to the cost. Might not want one if they are not field friendly.

I have shot a couple bucks with the Atlas [While using the Atlas for those in Rio Linda] and it is no great handicap.

Look at 1:26 into this comparison for speed

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I shoot harris bipods on all my rifles when at the range and in the field depending on how I am hunting. Sometimes I use a trigger sticks in the field.

But I'll tell you I shot a buddy's rifle at the range and it had an Atlas on it. If I had the extra cash lying around burning a hole in my pocket I would buy one.

Good is not good when better is expected. ~ Thomas Fuller
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Harris Swivel 6-9 with notched legs and a Pod Loc.

Trust me.

smile

Last edited by oldslowdog; 01/10/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by oldslowdog
[Linked Image]

Trust me.

smile

Nice set up! Sold to me! grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to beat that set up for prone shooting- unless the grass is over a few inches high.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Trust me.

smile

I know that AO. Grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sendero_man
[Linked Image]

Trust me.

smile

I know that AO. Grin

[Linked Image]

oldslowdog and myself with a couple coyotes we nailed last fall.

I use the Harris 9-12 notched, with KMW Pod Loc for most of my hunting.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What I've found true more often than not is that one bipod just doesn't work for everything. When out for a day of chasing critters, I consider the terrain I'm going to be hunting in and bring along a couple different bipods for the different situations I may find myself in.

For shooting rock chucks or sagerats on flat terrain or alfalfa fields that have been mowed, I need to stay prone for long periods so not to spook the targets. The 6-9 works great for that . If the grass is a bit deeper or the critters are in deeper grass, the 9-13 also comes along. In rolling terrain, where you find yourself sneaking over a rise to shoot and the rifle is on the downhill side, you may need a bit more lift to get into position. In the fall when the grass is tall or you are shooting in sage or downed trees, juniper, snowberry, or the like you need to be at a minimum sitting or kneeling to get above the obstructions. Depending on your stature and the terrain, a 12-25 or a 13-27 may be appropriate or maybe a longer monopod or shooting sticks for standing erect for shooting over tall obstacles. The S (swivel) models are even better but add a substantial expense to the collection.

I've tried them all and can tell you there is no perfect solution in one bipod at the moment. I guess that is one of the reasons I almost always carry a day pack- extra gear like bipods, spotters, and ammo mostly. Also, a place to carry a lunch, water, emergency supplies, and a place to carry my coat when the dawn 25 degree temps turn into 90 degree + temps in the afternoon when you are still shooting- if you've carried enough ammo! smile

Bob

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Just one observation. I'm a big fan of Harris bipods for bench shooting. I use one for a short barreled .308. While at the range earlier, it snapped the swivel stud due to repeated recoil. Watch for this if shooting repeatedly from a bench with a rifle that has some recoil.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Sheister and devnull.

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't used the Atlas stuff yet, but just installed the PASS gen2 adapter, Atlas feet, and 3" leg extensions on my Harris 6-9 swivel/notched leg bipod. I can twist out the feet, add the extensions to get to a 10"-13" (adapter adds an inch), or stuff 18" wood dowels in the extension legs for sitting.

Seems pretty versatile, will be fun to try out. Mostly I like the idea of not buying multiple bipods when I can make a 7-10 into a 10-13 quickly.

Sean
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
This...

[Linked Image]

Golden............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll take two!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've tried Harris bipods which are great from the bench. Not nearly as exciting as the bipod above, but for hunting, I used Bipod Shooting Sticks for years elk hunting in CO, and deer hunting in several different terrains. They work great in sitting, standing positions, and probably prone as well which I've not tried. They stay in my backpack year around. The video is pretty corny but let you know how they work. http://bipodshootingsticks.com

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Nice

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
615 members (2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.