Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm posting this question here as well as the Knives forum to get a bit more feedback...

After the last 5 years of wandering in the desert (literally!) I've settled into a new home here on the Gulf Coast and, not surprisingly, as I've been doing through and slowly organizing all my crap I've found a lot of stuff has gone missing or has become too old and broke down to fix (sorta like me...).

I was looking to split some mesquite logs the other day and couldn't find my old axe. It wasn't much of an axe, really, just a standard hardware store 2-1/2 pound head single-blade, but I'd worked the edge with files and stones to the point where it was serviceable. But it seems to have got lost.

So I wandered down to Lowe's and bought me a nice little hand-axe, which of course had nothing like an edge on it, worked it over with Dremel and file to get some sharp on it, and it served to split the softwood I have on hand, but doesn't hardly put a dent in mesquite. And since I have close to a cord of mesquite, I'm gonna have to fix this.

So... before I go spending good money on bad steel on the gaddom innanet, who among the cognoscenti here on the 'Fire has a recommendation for a true quality axe?

I'm looking for two: a packable hand-axe (aka hatchet) and a 3-pound single blade general purpose axe. The floor is open to comments.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

You can buy a custom axe with the head tempered by Bavarian elves and a handle made out of left over Stradavarius wood, but you won't find an axe or splitter that does better than the Fiskars brand.

And they are inexpensive.

I have the shorter "boys axe" that I carry in my trucks, and the same size splitter and a longer full size splitter. Best I've ever used in all cases.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In the hand-axe category I got a really great one from my Husqvarna dealer. Husqvarna makes (or some one makes for them) a nice axe (in several lengths) as well as a hatchet.

All that said, Eastwing makes a hatchet sized splitting maul (sp?). I have had one with the leather handle for years and it sure beats trying to split wood with an axe or hatchet.

Craig

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Husqvarana works just as well as my Gransfor Bruks.

You want an 8# maul for splitting hard wood or better yet a powered splitter.

Base camp gets a 4# pole axe, for me it's the one axe that can do all the camp chores. If a chain saw is in camp then my maul is thewre.

My single bit axe. http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/Products.asp?mi=25211

Last edited by Boise; 01/15/17. Reason: Added link
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

You can buy a custom axe with the head tempered by Bavarian elves and a handle made out of left over Stradavarius wood, but you won't find an axe or splitter that does better than the Fiskars brand.

I have the shorter "boys axe" that I carry in my trucks, and the same size splitter and a longer full size splitter. Best I've ever used in all cases.

Casey

LOL Casey.

+1

To the OP, I'll never call anything "best."

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Ther might be better ones out there, just haven't the opportunity to use them!.........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Gransfor Bruks

1Minute
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If you can stand to spend less than $50 for a Swedish blade, I've had this little Husqvarna for a year and a half now and it is perfect for splitting and shaving kindling (what I use it for) and would likely be just dandy for taking off limbs or bringing down small trees. Came with a leather blade guard but a full sheath wouldn't be hard to put together. The blade was straight and sharp right out of the box (haven't touched up the edge yet and it is still sharp enough to shave pine for fire-starter) and other than a bit of linseed on the handle there isn't much that needs to be done before the choppin' starts grin

[Linked Image]

$41.04 at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-57...mp;sr=8-1&keywords=husqvarna+hatchet

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Casey

+1. I've got a Fiskars X17 splitting axe and it has worked great. I like the shorter handle because I have a shed for wood storage and I can swing the shorter axe inside without hitting the roof; it also gives better control for splitting down small pieces.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can buy 2 Husqvarna's for the price of one Gransfor.

The differences are negligible.

Last edited by krupp; 01/15/17.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by krupp
I can buy 2 Husqvarna's for the price of one Gransfor.

The differences are negligible.

+1

Husky....or Council Tool/Estwing if you like US made products....

I have a Husky Carpenters axe and a Council Boys axe for campsite work, a rescued Plumb Cruser for home use, and an Estwing hatchet....the combined cost was pretty close to what you'd pay for a GB....

Plumb Husky Estwing
[Linked Image]

Council Husky
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I've used Gransfors, Wetterling and Snow and Nealy and have settled on a Council Hudson Bay Pattern for most kindling, small tree cutting and splitting chores as a general purpose axe. They make several different length handles for it as well.

http://counciltool.com/axes-hatchets-mauls-wedges/

They are tough (not quite as hard as the Swedish steel) they have a better cross section in the cheek area for splitting dry and tougher wood where as the Gransfors are thinner and more for green wood. The Council costs less and still has good quality steel that holds a good edge and USA made. HArd to beat.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Gotta small collection of axes and agree with others that you won't go wrong with Swedish Gransfors for general chopping chores.

For splitting, I prefer the long handled Finnish made Fiskars splitting axes.

We heat the house mostly with wood from the woodlot behind the house so the Fiskars have become very experienced axes.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Lotsa good info here, boys. Thanks a bunch!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Hults Bruk is the oldest manufacturer in the world. I agree any of the Swedish Axes are top notch. I don't buy anything though that won't accept a new handle like a Fiskars.

You also don't have to pay $100-$300 for an axe. I've bought some fine old True Temper axes at yard sales for $10-$20,but we have lots of that kind of stuff where I live.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 01/15/17.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I don't buy anything though that won't accept a new handle like a Fiskars.

As much fun it is to rehafting an axe, it is easy to tolerate the Fiskars because after countless bad strikes over the years that would have made it necessary to rehaft a traditional wood handle, the plastic handles that Fiskars come with have yet to exhibit any damage in the least. Admittedly, it leaves me in wonderment all the time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gransfors does sell an axe that has a metal shield around the top of the handle, to protect from mis-strikes

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I don't buy anything though that won't accept a new handle like a Fiskars.

As much fun it is to rehafting an axe, it is easy to tolerate the Fiskars because after countless bad strikes over the years that would have made it necessary to rehaft a traditional wood handle, the plastic handles that Fiskars come with have yet to exhibit any damage in the least. Admittedly, it leaves me in wonderment all the time.

+1. I have had no problems with the handles on my Fiskars and, if one ever does break, I can get another Fiskars axe for the price of a good axe haft.

Last edited by Oregon45; 01/15/17.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 64 invisible), 2,807 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,370
Posts18,469,135
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.