Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm posting this question here as well as the Knives forum to get a bit more feedback...

After the last 5 years of wandering in the desert (literally!) I've settled into a new home here on the Gulf Coast and, not surprisingly, as I've been doing through and slowly organizing all my crap I've found a lot of stuff has gone missing or has become too old and broke down to fix (sorta like me...).

I was looking to split some mesquite logs the other day and couldn't find my old axe. It wasn't much of an axe, really, just a standard hardware store 2-1/2 pound head single-blade, but I'd worked the edge with files and stones to the point where it was serviceable. But it seems to have got lost.

So I wandered down to Lowe's and bought me a nice little hand-axe, which of course had nothing like an edge on it, worked it over with Dremel and file to get some sharp on it, and it served to split the softwood I have on hand, but doesn't hardly put a dent in mesquite. And since I have close to a cord of mesquite, I'm gonna have to fix this.

So... before I go spending good money on bad steel on the gaddom innanet, who among the cognoscenti here on the 'Fire has a recommendation for a true quality axe?

I'm looking for two: a packable hand-axe (aka hatchet) and a 3-pound single blade general purpose axe. The floor is open to comments.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

You can buy a custom axe with the head tempered by Bavarian elves and a handle made out of left over Stradavarius wood, but you won't find an axe or splitter that does better than the Fiskars brand.

And they are inexpensive.

I have the shorter "boys axe" that I carry in my trucks, and the same size splitter and a longer full size splitter. Best I've ever used in all cases.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In the hand-axe category I got a really great one from my Husqvarna dealer. Husqvarna makes (or some one makes for them) a nice axe (in several lengths) as well as a hatchet.

All that said, Eastwing makes a hatchet sized splitting maul (sp?). I have had one with the leather handle for years and it sure beats trying to split wood with an axe or hatchet.

Craig

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Husqvarana works just as well as my Gransfor Bruks.

You want an 8# maul for splitting hard wood or better yet a powered splitter.

Base camp gets a 4# pole axe, for me it's the one axe that can do all the camp chores. If a chain saw is in camp then my maul is thewre.

My single bit axe. http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/Products.asp?mi=25211

Last edited by Boise; 01/15/17. Reason: Added link
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

You can buy a custom axe with the head tempered by Bavarian elves and a handle made out of left over Stradavarius wood, but you won't find an axe or splitter that does better than the Fiskars brand.

I have the shorter "boys axe" that I carry in my trucks, and the same size splitter and a longer full size splitter. Best I've ever used in all cases.

Casey

LOL Casey.

+1

To the OP, I'll never call anything "best."

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Ther might be better ones out there, just haven't the opportunity to use them!.........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gransfor Bruks

1Minute
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If you can stand to spend less than $50 for a Swedish blade, I've had this little Husqvarna for a year and a half now and it is perfect for splitting and shaving kindling (what I use it for) and would likely be just dandy for taking off limbs or bringing down small trees. Came with a leather blade guard but a full sheath wouldn't be hard to put together. The blade was straight and sharp right out of the box (haven't touched up the edge yet and it is still sharp enough to shave pine for fire-starter) and other than a bit of linseed on the handle there isn't much that needs to be done before the choppin' starts grin

[Linked Image]

$41.04 at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-57...mp;sr=8-1&keywords=husqvarna+hatchet

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

Casey

+1. I've got a Fiskars X17 splitting axe and it has worked great. I like the shorter handle because I have a shed for wood storage and I can swing the shorter axe inside without hitting the roof; it also gives better control for splitting down small pieces.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can buy 2 Husqvarna's for the price of one Gransfor.

The differences are negligible.

Last edited by krupp; 01/15/17.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by krupp
I can buy 2 Husqvarna's for the price of one Gransfor.

The differences are negligible.

+1

Husky....or Council Tool/Estwing if you like US made products....

I have a Husky Carpenters axe and a Council Boys axe for campsite work, a rescued Plumb Cruser for home use, and an Estwing hatchet....the combined cost was pretty close to what you'd pay for a GB....

Plumb Husky Estwing
[Linked Image]

Council Husky
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've used Gransfors, Wetterling and Snow and Nealy and have settled on a Council Hudson Bay Pattern for most kindling, small tree cutting and splitting chores as a general purpose axe. They make several different length handles for it as well.

http://counciltool.com/axes-hatchets-mauls-wedges/

They are tough (not quite as hard as the Swedish steel) they have a better cross section in the cheek area for splitting dry and tougher wood where as the Gransfors are thinner and more for green wood. The Council costs less and still has good quality steel that holds a good edge and USA made. HArd to beat.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Gotta small collection of axes and agree with others that you won't go wrong with Swedish Gransfors for general chopping chores.

For splitting, I prefer the long handled Finnish made Fiskars splitting axes.

We heat the house mostly with wood from the woodlot behind the house so the Fiskars have become very experienced axes.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Lotsa good info here, boys. Thanks a bunch!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Hults Bruk is the oldest manufacturer in the world. I agree any of the Swedish Axes are top notch. I don't buy anything though that won't accept a new handle like a Fiskars.

You also don't have to pay $100-$300 for an axe. I've bought some fine old True Temper axes at yard sales for $10-$20,but we have lots of that kind of stuff where I live.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 01/15/17.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I don't buy anything though that won't accept a new handle like a Fiskars.

As much fun it is to rehafting an axe, it is easy to tolerate the Fiskars because after countless bad strikes over the years that would have made it necessary to rehaft a traditional wood handle, the plastic handles that Fiskars come with have yet to exhibit any damage in the least. Admittedly, it leaves me in wonderment all the time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gransfors does sell an axe that has a metal shield around the top of the handle, to protect from mis-strikes

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by carbon12

As much fun it is to rehafting an axe, it is easy to tolerate the Fiskars because after countless bad strikes over the years that would have made it necessary to rehaft a traditional wood handle, the plastic handles that Fiskars come with have yet to exhibit any damage in the least. Admittedly, it leaves me in wonderment all the time.

+1. I have had no problems with the handles on my Fiskars and, if one ever does break, I can get another Fiskars axe for the price of a good axe haft.

Last edited by Oregon45; 01/15/17.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Oregon45

+1. I have had no problems with the handles on my Fiskars and, if one ever does break, I can get another Fiskars axe for the price of a good axe haft.

Well,maybe I'm just too set in my ways. I may have to get one just to see if my boy can destroy it instead of one of my hickory handles.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Doc,

Both Husqvarna and Gransfors Bruk axes & hatchets are common here in Sweden, so I have been able to compare them side by side on several occasions.

I can't see any notable differences between the profile of the heads.

I have no way to compare the metallurgy or hardness but I do know the Gransfors Bruks heads have hard cutting edges, with softer eyes & polls so they don't crack or splinter. I do not know if the Husqvarna have differentially-hardened heads.

However, I have seen a number of Husquvarna axes or hatches with bad grain layout -- bad enough that I think they would not take long to break.

I have not seen a Gransfors Bruk hatchet or axe with bad grain orientation so far, so if you are going to order through the Internet, a Gransfors Bruk seems a safer bet.

If you can examine the handle and get one with the annular growth rings running more or less parallel to the long axis of the head, then I would not worry about buying either. If you are mail ordering, I would stick with Gransfors Bruk.

Gransfors Bruk has a nice WEBSITE too. They take pride in what they do, and they also have an interesting tour of the factory and classes in log building, but I can imagine that this is less likely to interest you... wink

John

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've been happy with a Fiskars X7 hatchet for the pack. It's about 24 oz. I think I paid $36.00 or something at Home Depot.

[Linked Image]

I could probably save some weight with a suitable knife for batoning, since I mostly use it for prepping firewood.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I use a hydraulic splitter for processing serious firewood for the house.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

+1. Only way to fly. I use the hydraulic splitter to get the rounds down to reasonable sizes, then switch to a splitting axe to take the pieces down to stove size. Once I used a hydraulic splitter, I swore I'd never go back to a maul and wedges--particularly for splitting rounds with lots of knots in them, which we get quite a few of when taking down large fir trees.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Same for me. The Gerber/Fiskars are the real deal.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

+1. Only way to fly. I use the hydraulic splitter to get the rounds down to reasonable sizes, then switch to a splitting axe to take the pieces down to stove size. Once I used a hydraulic splitter, I swore I'd never go back to a maul and wedges--particularly for splitting rounds with lots of knots in them, which we get quite a few of when taking down large fir trees.

Mostly splitting lodgepole here, a little fir. It's mostly dry beetle-kill. Splits pretty easy with just a modest sized splitter.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Of the axes currently manufactured, Gransfors Bruk are the best I own. I bought my first two in Sweden back before they were known in the States. I brought them back strapped to either side of my pack, which I carried on. I had shaved much of the hair off my left forearm while selecting them at the hardware store in Uppsala.

They are a fine tool akin to an English best gun. While there are many others that will get the job done, Gransfor Bruk are on another level altogether.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

The only Fiskars I've owned is a hatchet I got at Lowes. I like it. I use it mostly for hardwood kindling, and it stays sharp.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My brother loves Fiskars, I love Husq, we compare them every year in big game camp and are still at a draw. Neither of us can justify a Gransfors Bruks because ours do what is needed just fine. Just maybe not with as much class...

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've never owned a GB either. I keep looking at that little GB Mini hatchet. Only 10" and 12 oz.

Never owned a GB, but they look so classy and functional.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Chris
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I like my Gerber Camp axe. Great for lighter duty. Handle could be better so I wrapped mine with Winn handle tape (fishing product) axe head is very sharp and holds the edge pretty decent. They run about $40.00

Last edited by goodshot; 01/15/17.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Gransfors Bruk are top of the line, but at the time my budget wasn't....I purchased both a hand axe and the Forest axe from Wetterlings. Have never been disappointed with either of them!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've got hatchets/axes from Gransfors Bruks, Wetterlings and Estwing. They're all good but Gransfors Bruks is clearly the best of the bunch.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My favorite single bit axe is the Hudson Bay style. It is 3# with a 28 inch handle. Been a great companion on hunting/fishing trips as well splitting wood at home. I choke up on the handle and it serves well as a hatchet for splitting kindling.

Fits nicely in scabbard if so inclined.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Recent activity with the axe this fall. Stove and fireplace wood pile.
[Linked Image]

http://counciltool.com/shop/hudson-bay-axes/2-hudson-bay-axe-28-handle-and-sheath/

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Along this bent, Snow and Neally are well known for the Hudson Bay pattern. They make several other patterns and all are made in Maine. A 3-1/2 lb single bit would make a nice splitting axe.

Some are available on Amazon.

Regarding GB. My hands down favorite is their traditional hunter's axe with the mirror polished poll. I take some pics tomorrow.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by kingston
Along this bent, Snow and Neally are well known for the Hudson Bay pattern. They make several other patterns and all are made in Maine. A 3-1/2 lb single bit would make a nice splitting axe.

Regarding GB. My hands down favorite is their traditional hunter's axe with the mirror polished poll. I take some pics tomorrow.

Be advised that there is chatter on the Internet that S&N had axe heads made in China and then finished and assembled in Maine. This happened some years ago. Might be different now.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Be advised that there is chatter on the Internet that S&N had axe heads made in China and then finished and assembled in Maine. This happened some years ago. Might be different now.

The company is now owned by an Amish family, who's transitioned to a 100% US forged, finished, and hafted product.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My hands down favorite is their traditional hunter's axe with the mirror polished poll.

First thing a guy needs to do when he gets this one, is to grind the poll flat so's he can drive tent stakes.......

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I just use an old Plumb rig axe.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by huntsman22
My hands down favorite is their traditional hunter's axe with the mirror polished poll.

First thing a guy needs to do when he gets this one, is to grind the poll flat so's he can drive tent stakes.......

Heathen

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Yeah, I've heard that a flat poll helps when driving drunk. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey, a flat poll beats swinging a rock.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They make a model called the "small forest axe" for those who require a tool with three flat surfaces for pounding tent stakes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a Fiskars too. Pretty sure it's the same as the Gerber for half the bucks.

Watch the bushcrafter videos on YouTube. Those folks are as nutso about their axes and knives as CFers are over Tikkas and Mausers.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They make a model called the "small forest axe" for those who require a tool with three flat surfaces for pounding tent stakes.

I have the GB small forest axe: great quality but the angle of the head is more for cutting and not splitting. Head gets stuck too often when I've used it to make kindling. Handle is too long for packing or driving stakes - IME.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm with hunts. A hatchet was my number one tool when trapping in Alaska. I drove LOTS of stakes, albeit not tent, with the hatchet.

Along with all the other necessary crap you need to do when setting traps.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DocRocket
it served to split the softwood I have on hand, but doesn't hardly put a dent in mesquite.

The floor is open to comments.

I haven't had the 'privilege' of splitting mesquite BUT...
I have split "Sycamore". The toughest wood I've ever encountered. Since you said, "the floor is open to comments."

Originally Posted by Boise
.... or better yet a powered splitter.

A POWER splitter is best<< quickest<< easiest way.

I have a 21 ton hydraulic and UNLESS I'm mistaken, seems I've seen an advertisement, someone makes an 'electric' power splitter.

AT 67 yo, my 'manual' splitting days are over. grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mark shubert
I just use an old Plumb rig axe.

That works...
I keep one in my camp box for driving tent stakes and such because I don't want to mutilate the pole on my Husky....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A rig axe is the way for driving stuff. But personally, I like the Vaughan's better than Plumb. Better balance for driving due to the weight in the head rather than the blade. They also seem to be faster chopping out trap beds in frezzen ground.....Have multiples of each, tho....

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like my Estwing.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Some axes, hatchets and cleavers

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P

Casey

Thank you Casey. One of the funniest things I've read in a bit

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I think the husqavarna axes are made by wetterlings and wetterling has been bought by GF

Anyone know if thats still the husky supplier?

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A utilitarian hatchet for more than chopping wood. Pounds nails, staples and stakes, etc., pulls nails and barb fence wire. Plus, it works well on a chicken head on a block of wood.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I split just short of 20 full cords of Red Oak and Rock/Sugar Maple cut to 3' lengths for my wood boiler with an Fiskars X27 this past fall. Best splitting axe I have ever used.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Red Oak nearly splits just looking at it.We don't have much Sugar Maple,so I've never split that. I've rarely used an axe for splitting. For most of our wood a maul is necessary.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Red Oak nearly splits just looking at it.We don't have much Sugar Maple,so I've never split that. I've rarely used an axe for splitting. For most of our wood a maul is necessary.

My wood is tougher than your wood. grin laugh

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Sidetrack here.

What do we like for clearing out head tall, thorny thickets? Thinking some kind of bush hook.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A bit cross topic, but with all these nice axes and hatchets maybe one of you guys can send some pictures to that kid at UC who wants to cut his dick off to protest Trump and tell him to take his pick.

Not sure if you want to let him use a good one or not, as A) you might not want it back knowing what it was used for or B) it could hold a special place in your heart knowing what it was used for.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Sidetrack here.

What do we like for clearing out head tall, thorny thickets? Thinking some kind of bush hook.

Roundup, Stinger and Crossbow

If at all possible, I avoid messing with thorns while green.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Light pack axe, look at either the Marble's Camp or Hunter's style axe.

Other than the names, the degree of finish on the blades, and the prices, I don't see that there enough difference between comparable styles in the GB, Wetterling, and Husqvarna lines without picking them up and see how they feel to you.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

I used an 8lb maul before a friend turned me on to the X27.
Keep in mind our oak has half the growing season of yours. Hence the growth rings are tighter and the density is higher. If frozen and straight grained it's not too bad to split. If twisted like much of it is and it's green and not frozen it can suck to split. Maple sucks to split regardless.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
A splitting axe

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I am certainly not an expert user but have found Fiskars axes and hatchets to be an amazing value. They just feel right to me. Try to match the tool to the job, a good felling ax will probably not be a good splitter. Go to buckin billy ray's you tube channel and see how a pro splits wood.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sidetrack here.

Bull dozer

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
A bit cross topic, but with all these nice axes and hatchets maybe one of you guys can send some pictures to that kid at UC who wants to cut his dick off to protest Trump and tell him to take his pick.

Not sure if you want to let him use a good one or not, as A) you might not want it back knowing what it was used for or B) it could hold a special place in your heart knowing what it was used for.

Maybe we could take donations, a member could buy a cigar cutter, deliver it, and make sure it was used.

I am in for $10.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doc it's hard to beat Fiskars x27. Take a look at some youtube vids.
Wood splits best at about -10F LOL

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Don't have a clue what the best axe is but it is likely to be outperformed by a $25 splitting maul from Harbor Freight or Lowes if you are busting up logs. If I were in the market for an axe or hatchet I'd look at Council tools. They have good American made axes that can be had for around $60. They also have some expensive stuff targeted at the "bushcraft" market if you want to go that route. I guess they want a cut of Gransfor's action.

I have an old carpenter's hatchet like the one in roundoak's post except it has a wood handle. It belonged to my Grandfather...I have no idea what kind it is. I use it for the rare times I need a hatchet. I can't see much wrong with the Estwing camp hatchet with the leather handle if I were going to get a new one. It looks pretty unbreakable to me....$35 everyday at Home Depot.

Last edited by RJY66; 01/16/17.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sidetrack here.

Sugar cane machete.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RJY66
Don't have a clue what the best axe is but it is likely to be outperformed by a $25 splitting maul from Harbor Freight or Lowes if you are busting up logs.

I am jealous of all the fine, easy splitting wood.

All we have is cottonwood, ash and random elm growing in the yard.

8lb maul for splitting, no other choice.

Axe for chopping ice.

Hatchet for make kindling out of old cedar fence posts.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Doc,

If you are looking for a ridiculously versatile hatchet, look at Cold Steel's Trail Hawk and the Rifleman's Hawk.

Being able to throw them is a major bonus.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sidetrack here.

I bought a piece of property three years that has thickets made up of Blackberry, Multiflora rose and Prickly Ash. Bush-hogged where I could and applied 2-4 D on the new growth. On the other thickets I am using a chainsaw rather than a brush hook or machete...works slick and apply 2-4 D on the new growth.

I figure I need another three years of clearing at the rate of 2-3 hours of part time free time effort. grin

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by budman5
Doc it's hard to beat Fiskars x27. Take a look at some youtube vids.
Wood splits best at about -10F LOL

bud, I moved to Corpus Christi with the expectation that most of my -10F days are behind me and are a-gonna STAY behind me, gaddomit!!

Anyways, I went to Lowe's last evening after dinner and bought a Fiskars hand axe, their 14" X15 "Chopping Hatchet", which was the only decent axe they had on hand. Chopped up some kindling with it last night out of some seasoned mesquite chunks and I was impressed with how well it hacked up that hard old wood. The worker bee at Lowe's told me that they are getting a shipment of bigger Fiskars axes later this week, so I might go get one of those as well.

I don't have much need to split wood, as fires down in the part of the world are for pleasure, not a necessity, so buying a hydraulic splitter isn't necessary. Doesn't mean I won't buy one, mind...

As for the rest, I've got a short list of "must haves" out of the list of various axes and hatchets you pards have recommended. Doubt I'll end up with a collection like some of y'all's but having a modest assortment of axes in my shop seems to be a nice goal, and cheaper than collecting rifles...

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by deflave
Doc,

If you are looking for a ridiculously versatile hatchet, look at Cold Steel's Trail Hawk and the Rifleman's Hawk.

Being able to throw them is a major bonus.

Dave

Good point. You never know when you're gonna have to throw an axe at someone around here.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It's either fun or it isn't.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Show that video to whelennut.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm sorry, did somebody say something?

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Pretty cool videos..

Molon Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My life is now complete.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm thinking one should be careful, on the backswing with a double bit axe smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

I need a cigarette now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That, or a brush axe. If it is vertical, a heavy-duty yoyo.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall

I have split "Sycamore". The toughest wood I've ever encountered.

I've split Gum, the Oaks- they vary, red pretty easy, post is knotty, white.can really vary. Sycamore grows in a TWISTED layered effect.

I've never split any Gum nearly as TOUGH as Sycamore.

How do other woods compare, like mesquite ? Other tough splitters.
We have Cottonwood in a Ark but haven't split any.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Cottonwood and elm suck to split. I use a Husky or stihl splitter on them.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
didn't read the entire thread, but I'll throw in two suggestions - perhaps already made.

WOOD handles. More comfortable than steel shanks, IMO&E.

Split with a splitting maul and/or wedge.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ironbender
didn't read the entire thread, but I'll throw in two suggestions - perhaps already made.

WOOD handles. More comfortable than steel shanks, IMO&E.

Split with a splitting maul and/or wedge.

I put a cut across the block with the chainsaw and use three steel wedges and a Canadian splitter (maul) to drive them.

This way I can split 24" section redgum...just make the cut deep enough.

I also prefer wood handles.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Fiskar

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've never used a swedish hatchet so I can't speak to their quality. I have had an estwing sportsmans hatchet for 30 years that I have enjoyed using and owning. For splitting I would choose a splitting maul with a plastic tough handle. The weight of the head does most of the work and has the width to spread hard to split wood. I have had hickory hammer handles shatter with heavy use, that had never been struck on the wood.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Sidetrack here.

If you're talking a hand tool, look up sandvik brush cutter.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
If you can stand to spend less than $50 for a Swedish blade, I've had this little Husqvarna for a year and a half now and it is perfect for splitting and shaving kindling (what I use it for) and would likely be just dandy for taking off limbs or bringing down small trees. Came with a leather blade guard but a full sheath wouldn't be hard to put together. The blade was straight and sharp right out of the box (haven't touched up the edge yet and it is still sharp enough to shave pine for fire-starter) and other than a bit of linseed on the handle there isn't much that needs to be done before the choppin' starts grin

[Linked Image]

$41.04 at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-57...mp;sr=8-1&keywords=husqvarna+hatchet

Those Husqvarnas are top notch.

[Linked Image]

That said, the Fiskars (I have a few different sizes) are my "Go to" axes and splitting mauls at my cabin.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You guys are all nuts.

At age 69: I can definativly tell you that the best hatchet or ax is anyone that is wielded effectively to your benefit by someone else... who also carries it.

Last edited by swarf; 01/17/17.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Vikings' gotta watch the back swing on the double bit or he'll turn his butt crack into a butt canyon.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by swarf
You guys are all nuts.

At age 69: I can definativly tell you that the best hatchet or ax is anyone that is wielded effectively to your benefit by someone else... who also carries it.

Probably true at any age!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Maybe we could take donations, a member could buy a cigar cutter, deliver it, and make sure it was used.

I am in for $10.

I have a silver plated one I'll donate

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by frogman43
Gransfors Bruk are top of the line, but at the time my budget wasn't....I purchased both a hand axe and the Forest axe from Wetterlings. Have never been disappointed with either of them!

Me too

Last edited by BMT; 01/17/17.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good axes are where you find them. 45 years ago I bought a no-name axe from a hardware store and it's lasted me all that time. It's had a new head and three new handles but it sure has been a good axe.

Ken Howell is no longer here to regale us with old jokes so I thought I would add my humble effort in his stead...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Condors are good in their price range. http://www.condortk.com/products.php?cat=63

For kindling a Japanese carpenters hatchet has worked well it has good steel and you can get it shaving sharp.

I keep my eyes out at junk store and garage sales for hatchets
and axes. Many of the older ones are better quality than what you can find at the big box stores. Especially with no handle I can get a nice axe head for about $5 bucks usually.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For brush cutting the old Gerber brush cutters are the bomb, will drop a small tree in a pinch.

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Vaughn hatchets are still made in Bushnell, Illinois, USA, and for the money, pretty good. If you like hatchets with steel shanks, Estwing still makes them in Rockford, Illinois, USA.

I too believe that the proper implement for splitting firewood is a splitting maul, unless you're just splitting up some old boards for kindling.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sidetrack here.

I like these. Haven't broken one yet. Quick sharpen with a tiger disc helps.

cold steel two handed machete

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Chain saw is best

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hanco
Chain saw is best

Yep...and when you start it up at 6am to cut some wood in town you will be able to discuss the merits of that with your new best friends the police.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Sidetrack here.

I like these. Haven't broken one yet. Quick sharpen with a tiger disc helps.

cold steel two handed machete

Those are awesome. I have several that I use for clearing shooting lanes and all kinds of other stuff. I just have to keep my eye on them because once people use them, they want to keep them.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by hanco
Chain saw is best

Yep...and when you start it up at 6am to cut some wood in town you will be able to discuss the merits of that with your new best friends the police.
I suppose if you're dumb enough to live in town and/or cut wood at 6 AM.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Go get a fireman's axe for splitting wood, and a Eswing for the small chores! A 6# fireman's axe will split with the best at half the price! All the phoo ha about imported axes, just that phoo ha! Yes I burn wood to keep warm, not much around 5 cord a year!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a 37 ton hydraulic wood splitter. WAY better than splitting with a maul or axe. We don't have gum or oaks or anything like that, but twisted juniper that is a serious PIA with any maul or splitter is no match for my hydraulic splitter.

I've got several hardware store/Home Depot type axes, and I've had so/so luck with them over the years. I have never had an issue with my 26" Estwing axe, but after reading this thread, I think I will be ordering a Gränsfors Hunter´s Axe.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Sidetrack here.

If you're talking a hand tool, look up sandvik brush cutter.

Akbob5, my first thoughts exactly. Don't presently own one but they worked quite well when I was walking creeks for a timber company doing fish surveys. Green stuff under an inch were done with one swing even for a wimp like me. Blades are replaceable, but we sharpened them too.

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/Products.asp?mi=17631

Geno

PS, nice stuff you fellas, but for splitting it's a maul for me.

PPS, that man from the land of milk and honey probably knows what it's like to split Eucalyptus. The type we had in SoCal we generally let dry out in that climate for 2-3 years before even attempting to split by hand. whistle

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I think the best one is the one you don't have to use!!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMFgal99pZM
This fellow has interesting videos and talks about the Husqvarna brand

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I am very fond of my little Husqvarna..... Use it all the time. For the price they are pretty tough to beat.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread inspired me...so I just ordered this:
[Linked Image]

I stopped carrying an axe or saw while elk hunting, but after sitting out a few snowstorms this last year (with pathetic campfires due to having to scrounge what few branches I could break off), I think I will try carrying this sucker around and see WTF...

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I don't have any neighbors I like, fire chain saw up at six on Saturday morning.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Stihl is the best out there.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My experience is limited, but my Snow and Nealy Hudson Bay pattern ax works better than any others I've used. It was impressive when my experienced friend in Wisconsin used it to split firewood when he had forgotten his spitting ax. However, the wooden handle will not stay tight in our dry climate. A Fiskar now does my limited utility work here.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 19 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,649
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.