Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Had some success with Moly back when I was prairie dog shooting but since have stopped using it after reading a lot of negative reports, but what are the pros and cons of Boron Nitride?

Thanks
HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Dropped my ES/SD a bit.

More shots between cleaning.

Less copper fouling.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
David Tubb sells a kit to coat your own bullets and here's his video explaining the benefits.
As with moly, you will lose some velocity compared to bare bullets, due to the lower friction/pressure. You can add back a few tenths of a grain of powder to get back the velocity loss.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
HeavyBarrel,

I fooled around with moly when it first appeared, but after Dyna Bore Coat appeared it used it in my prairie dog rifles because it only had to be applied ONCE to the bore, rather than to every bullet.

Haven't tried boron nitride for the same reason. Maybe its benefits make it worth the trouble.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Having tried both, I'm digging the schidt out of the Hex.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Hex?

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Hexagonal boron nitride

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have a 6x47 Lapua,with a Kreiger barrel. All I,ve ever shot in it are David Tubbs 115 grn. D-Tacs,coated with Boron Nitride. I,ve never had a barrel clean up as fast as this one. I don't know if it's the barrel quality, or the coated bullets.
I do know that most of the guys that shoot the D-Tacs are shooting the coated bullets.

Mike DeLuca----wyomike
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Is the coating easy to clean out if you were going to shoot regular copper bullets or does it leave a backed on layer like Moly that takes a special cleaner, and some say you can never remove. One of the reasons for the question is that I have a 243 that likes the Federal Fusion 95gr coated bullets and I also like to use regular copper bullets in a lower weight for coyotes. I have read that Moly will leave a layer, then shooting copper bullets leaves copper on top of the Moly layer, and continually builds. Have read reports of people ruining barrels with Moly, and don't want to do the same thing using the Fusion ammo.

Thanks

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Is the coating easy to clean out if you were going to shoot regular copper bullets or does it leave a backed on layer like Moly that takes a special cleaner, and some say you can never remove. One of the reasons for the question is that I have a 243 that likes the Federal Fusion 95gr coated bullets and I also like to use regular copper bullets in a lower weight for coyotes. I have read that Moly will leave a layer, then shooting copper bullets leaves copper on top of the Moly layer, and continually builds. Have read reports of people ruining barrels with Moly, and don't want to do the same thing using the Fusion ammo.

Thanks

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Just took the time to watch the video posted. Pretty much answered my questions except about the layering effect?

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd say the basic premise is that one will do ALL of his bullets with the Boron Nitride, and forego untreated entirely.
I had GREAT luck with Moly,...but with the attendant low "fouler / sighters",...

Learned fast that"LAMINATED" alternating layers of Moly and copper were just a flat PITA, and that a moly treated barrel needed moly and moly only for it's functional lifetime.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 57 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,946
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.