-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'll be spending about 6 weeks in AK this summer.

Spending about 2-3 days in each of the following destinations:

[list]
[*] Ketchikan
Juneau
Haines
Tok
Fairbanks
Denali area
Homer
Soldotna
Valdez
then ending in Anchorage

selling all my stuff, and flying home.

I expect to fish for freshwater (trout, grayling) and saltwater (including 2-3 guided salmon and halibut trips). A

We are bringing a ~14', 3 person canoe for mild river and lake fishing, and if appropriate....some bay fishing.

I'm looking for recommendations on what gear to bring. I have an exhaustive battery of TX type fishing gear, including lightweight rigs for trout, plus bass fishing rigs, and some heavier stuff (abu garcia 5000 and 6500's) I use for catfish. I have some flyfishing (5 weight) gear as well.

As much as anything, I'd appreciate advice that says "oh, hell no, dont bring ______________", we all use ____________ for that kind of work.

Specific areas of concern: what to use for river and or bay salmon?

heavy duty spinning rods? or are my abu 6500's plenty good? would the 5000's be good enough?

also..... how many of each rod type do you recommend? 1 per man + a spare?

I apologize for the open ended, clueless questions, but the truth is, I've never done any river salmon fishing, so I humbly ask for your wisdom.

thanks in advance.

shane

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
timing is important!

expect to hit Ketchikan around mid June. Leave Anchorage end of July.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Your Abu 6500's will be fine for salmon. I've caught hundreds of them with mine. Spining reels in the 4000 series will cover all your salmon needs. I typically look for 8'6" or longer rods, and rated for 8-12 or 12-20lb line depending on species I'm after.
Trout and grayling can be done with smaller 1000 or 1500 series spinning reels and 4-8lb rated rods.
Gear can run the gamut, and I generally recommend waiting and buying from local shops on their recommendation. Local knowledge can make or break a trip.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Gear can run the gamut, and I generally recommend waiting and buying from local shops on their recommendation. Local knowledge can make or break a trip.

this

bring the 6500s and 8'6" rods for salmon, and let the locals clue you in on what to use.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unless you have certain lakes in mind, I would reconsider even taking the canoe. You have a very enthusiastic schedule, lots of driving. No doubt some ferry time, also. I will pm you a contact for some excellent grayling fishing, enjoy the trip!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
due to ferry system route timing, we have our choice of a 3 day stay in either Petersburg, or Ketchikan.

we plan to do a guided salmon wherever we stay.

which would be better in late June for salmon?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

606 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 64 invisible), 2,149 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,278
Posts18,448,479
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.