-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It appears legislatures were trying to influence the mixing of the races in Oklahoma. Marriage laws prevented mixed races, voting laws required one to be able to read and write, seperate but equal schools prevented mixed race boy/girl relationships, etc.

Jim Crow Laws in Oklahoma

Oklahoman
February 13, 2005

Following the pattern of states bordering the Confederacy, Oklahoma strongly supported separation of the races with passage of 18 Jim Crow laws between 1890 and 1957. 1890: Education. (Statute). Every three years an election for school electors to be held to vote for or against separate schools for white and colored children.

1897: Education. (Statute). A separate district will be established for colored children wherever there are at least eight black children. Unlawful for any white child to attend a school for black children (or vice versa).

1907: Education. (Constitution). Separate schools for white and colored children to be provided by the Legislature.

1907: Voting rights. (Statute). Indigent persons housed in a poorhouse at public expense excluded from voting. Exception made for Federal, Confederate, and Spanish American veterans.

1907: Voting rights. (Statute). Required electors to read and write any section of the state Constitution. Exempted those who were enfranchised on January 1, 1866, and lineal descendants of such persons. Declared unconstitutional in 1915; however, provision for literacy was upheld.

1908: Education. (Statute). Public schools within Oklahoma to be operated under a plan of separation between the white and colored races. Penalty: Teachers could be fined between $10 and $50 for violating the law, and their certificate cancelled for one year. Corporations that operated schools that did not comply with the law were guilty of a misdemeanor and could be fined between $100 and $500. White students who attended a colored school could be fined between $5 and $20 daily.

1908: Railroads. (Statute). All railroad and streetcar companies to provide separate coaches for white and black passengers, "equal in all points of comfort and convenience. Penalty: Railway companies that violate the law fined $100 to $1,000. Passengers who fail to comply can be charged with a misdemeanor punishable by a fine from $5 to $25. Conductors could be fined $50 to $500 for failing to enforce the law.

1908: Miscegenation. (Statute). Unlawful for a person of African descent to marry any person not of African descent. Penalty: Felony punishable by a fine of up to $500 and imprisonment from one to five years in the penitentiary.

1915: Public accommodations. (Statute). Required telephone companies to maintain separate booths for white and colored patrons.

1921: Miscegenation. (Statute). Prohibited marriage between Indians and Negroes.

1921: Education. (Statute). Misdemeanor for a teacher to teach white and colored children in the same school. Penalty: Cancellation of teaching certificate without renewal for one year.

1921: Public accommodations. (Statute). Required maintenance of separate accommodations for colored persons in public libraries in cities with a Negro population of 1,000 or more.

1925: Entertainment. (City Ordinance). Black bands were prohibited from marching with white bands in Oklahoma City parades. Also, white Golden Gloves boxers were prohibited from sparring against black boxers.

1937: Public carriers. (Statute). Public carriers to be segregated.

1949: Health Care. (Statute). Called for a consolidated Negro institution to care for blind, deaf and orphans.

1954: Public accommodations. (Statute). Separate rest rooms in mines required.

1955: Miscegenation. (Statute). Marriage of anyone of African descent to one who is white prohibited. Penalty: Up to $500 and one to five years imprisonment.

1957: Adoption. (Statute). Adoption petitions must state race of petitioner and child.

Source: www.jimcrowhistory.org

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Ain't that way now

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Funny thing. Parents got divorced in '69-'70. Dad took off with my brother and I to Oklahoma. First school I was in was about 1/3 black, 1/3 white, 1/3 Indian, with a Jewish kid thrown in.

Ponca City.

McKinley Elementary.

Had black and white teachers. Pop Warner FB coach was black. Was only 10 YO but can't remember race every being much of a subject. Probably because everyone was working class.

Most diverse school I ever attended. Far more so than the schools I attended before and after here in Oregon.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The separate but equal laws had a major flaw: they were seldom equal.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve
Funny thing. Parents got divorced in '69-'70. Dad took off with my brother and I to Oklahoma. First school I was in was about 1/3 black, 1/3 white, 1/3 Indian, with a Jewish kid thrown in.

Ponca City.

McKinley Elementary.

Had black and white teachers. Pop Warner FB coach was black. Was only 10 YO but can't remember race every being much of a subject. Probably because everyone was working class.

Most diverse school I ever attended. Far more so than the schools I attended before and after here in Oregon.

Oklahoma was forced to integrate schools in 1969 under federal court ruling.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Go back and to read the arguments of the segregationist and what they said would happen. Were they time travelers?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The separate but equal laws had a major flaw: they were seldom equal.

I agree...

Black schools were way newer
Black schools had air conditioning
Black schools had more students... thus more opportunities in academics... french or spanish classes... we had neither
Black schools had newer buses... I remembering pushing our athletic bus up hills because the clutch was slipping so bad it wouldn't pull up steep hills. Another time, 2 yrs. later, spent half the night in a church because the bus broke down.
Black schools had band
Black schools had football
Black schools had track

I could go on, but you get the point...

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,589 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,603
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.