Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
444Matt Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
On my to do list this spring is to finally start reloading. I'll be loading only for my rifles, standard calibers 30-06 270 243 and 30-30.

I'm looking at buying one of the single stage press kits from the big three RCBS Hornady and Lee. My first big question is there real advantages to the more expensive kits verses the cheaper Lee? I've got three young sons and I'm short on spare time only going to be loading so I can A) Taylor loads to my individual rifles and B) afford to shoot more with my sons as my oldest is just now starting to shoot centerfire
Mthsnks guys more questions to come I've got a couple of weeks of deer hunting left and I'm trying to do my research so I can jump in once my hunting is over.

HR IC

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I started with the Lee Anniversary Kit. I added a trickler and eventually upgraded my beam scale to an Ohaus. A lot of people dis Lee stuff. Personally I'm a fan. That said I do have Redding, Forster and RCBS stuff too. The Lee kit is a really good buy for someone just starting IMO.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's not about the equipment but about the operator. Start with what you can afford. If you stay in it long enough you'll be adding and experimenting. I started with a then new R. F. Wells press and equipment in a kit for $26 or so back in about 1951. I used most of the common equipment. Still have a Lee press I use for range loading. When you understand most things about reloading most any equipment will do. Try the Lee and decide what you prefer as you go.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This kit for less than $120 is about as cheap as you can go & has all you need to begin........press is fine for what you're wanting to do, powder measure & the scale, while not top shelf, will do until you want to step up & everything else is serviceable for starters.

You can use light(er)weight bullets to double check your scale.....like lighter .243 bullets, it will be close enough.

Buy any additional accessories as you want/need them.

Lee Challenger Kit

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where are you in Alabama. I am getting out (never really got in but bought all the equipment) I am in Huntsville and if you will come give me a hand finding it in the garage mess (moved 7 times in 9 years) I will give you a good deal on it.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I live near Prattvile but work in downtown Birmingham. I might be interested in doing that what all do you have?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The worst past of that Lee kit is the aluminum Challenger press. It's definitely worth the extra money to step up to the Classic cast or RCBS Rockchucker, IMO. You get better quality, more solidly built tools in the better kits like the Rockchucker Supreme kit. The RCBS stuff will last a lifetime. Keep your eyes on the classifieds for used presses, scales, throwers, etc. There are some deals to be had.

Last edited by Jordan Smith; 01/11/17.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
True. I use some Lee equipment, collet neck dies in particular, but a lot of their stuff is cheap/cheesy. Their Classic Cast press is a solid number however.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like I'm going to get a good deal on some RCBS stuff from travelingman which is kind of what I wanted anyhow just didn't want to blow money buying used will get me quality at a price I can afford.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It that deal on the used stuff falls through and you go back to looking at new, don't overlook Lyman. My equipment is a mix of Lyman and RCBS with some Hornady and Lee mixed in. I'm not a real fan of Lee.

Good luck,

Dale

This space for rent

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dale K
It that deal on the used stuff falls through and you go back to looking at new, don't overlook Lyman.

In a quest for a very well aligned press I bought a Lyman Orange Crusher. Turned out to the the 'straightest' press of all I tried. Still have it and use it. Good equipement!

Used to be bobski, member since '01
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
While RCBS and Redding may cost more, IMO they have the gold standard in customer service. For a single stage press the Rock chucker is hard to beat.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All good info, for when I start buying. Thank you gentlemen.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I would look at the Lee classic cast turret press. Its likely the only press you'll ever need beginner or expert.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What do the starter kits cost from RCBS & Lee?

When I started out in 1953 it was with a Lyman H type press. Now I have added RCBS.

I use both a powder scale and a powder measure.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You can get a Lee starter kit for a less than $120. RCBS will be a little under $200.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
While RCBS and Redding may cost more, IMO they have the gold standard in customer service. For a single stage press the Rock chucker is hard to beat.

I agree...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Looks like I'm going to get a good deal on some RCBS stuff from travelingman which is kind of what I wanted anyhow just didn't want to blow money buying used will get me quality at a price I can afford.

Cool. Good luck with it Matt. It's about time you got into the reloading aspect of things...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think any of the iron or steel single stage presses are good. I still have a gray Lyman Spartan that was probably made when I was born in the 1950's. Got it at a gunshow for $25 in the mid 1980's Still straight, still makes accurate ammo.
I also have an newer 1990s RCBS. I use it less and less these day. The open front on the Spartan is just quicker.
As a note on Lee; I broke one of the aluminum "C" presses in the 1980's forming 30-30 cases into 219 Donaldson Wasp. It really wasn't made for that abuse. The Lee iron "O" style press probably wouldn't have broken. I picked up the used cast iron Lyman Spartan to replace the Lee. Lee would have replaced it, but I figured I really voided the spirit of the warranty.
The Lee hand press is handy if you want a mobile reloading kit for work up at the range. I've had one of those seemingly forever, too.

Just to add, I've been happy with the Lee products I have and if starting again, I'd get a Challenger press kit. Half my dies are Lees, and I have Lee Factory Crimp dies for 223, 257 Roberts, 308, 8 x 57, 30-06, 45-70, 38,/357, 44 Spec/Mag, 45 ACP,.......

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Buy RCBS, if anything breaks or you lose a part, they will send it to you, no questions asked. Buy a Rock Chucker press on EBay,dies,etc

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
187 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 26 invisible), 2,068 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.