Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Gary : Good question....That rifle came bedded from Brown. Looked like a nice job but it did not shoot,which was perplexing.

I took it to my smith, Larry, a match shooter who knows M70's.

He said some M70's would shoot with no barrel pad forward of receiver and some would not. Mine was completely floated so Larry suggested a barrel pad forward of receiver, and some reinforced bedding to the left of the tang,since the bolt stop/ejector cut outs made the M70 a bit less rigid in that area.

Whatever he did, it worked as groups improved substantially after he rebedded the rifle.

Your smith sounds like he knows what he's doing. He was exactly right. Something we all need to remember is every rifle is different. Even when you have 2 that look exactly the same... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I think the Compact looks best with a 20" barrel, while the Pounder looks awesome with a 22" barrel.

I would take the Brown ergos anyday over the Compact for actual field shooting. It fits me great. but that could vary between different people.

I totally agree. I like them the other way around. The hunters compact is damn near perfect for my needs on a fwt model 70. I like everything about it: Perfect balance, perfect weight, excellent in field positions. No complaints here. I also like the brown poundR on my 338wm, but it also has a 24" tube and it feels great. Mitigates recoil very nicely on that 338 as well.. You are absolutely right though. "Different strokes for different folks", comes to mind...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Originally Posted by Mjduct
Doesn't MPI make one that comes out at like 9 ounces or something??? Ultra lightweight????

Yes but that's the unfishined weight. My gunsmith finished one for his 375 RUM that went 14 oz I believe. He is hoping that since mine is a short action with a short foreend that it'll be closer to 12 oz finished but we shall see.

My best friend's 416 Wby tore apart an MPI in 12 shots. Hope yours is ok.

Was the MPI sold and installed by MPI?

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Originally Posted by Mjduct
Doesn't MPI make one that comes out at like 9 ounces or something??? Ultra lightweight????

Yes but that's the unfishined weight. My gunsmith finished one for his 375 RUM that went 14 oz I believe. He is hoping that since mine is a short action with a short foreend that it'll be closer to 12 oz finished but we shall see.

My best friend's 416 Wby tore apart an MPI in 12 shots. Hope yours is ok.

Was the MPI sold and installed by MPI?

Yup, and bedded.

Was a funny thing to watch. My friend played nose guard for Missouri, that is to say a pretty stout fella. He got a yen to build a lightweight 416, only God knows why. Anyway, he sat down at the bench with this brakeless, sub 8lb wonder, and proceeded to shoot 4, 3 shot groups with full house 400 grainers, in a t-shirt no less. The groups were all ragged holes. He got up, and peeled back his shirt sleeve to show what looked like a massive hematoma. Then he noticed the stock was completely cracked at the tang. He sent it back to MPI, they "fixed" it, and he sold the 12-shot Wonder Weatherby.

Most recoil-proof guy I've ever known and a fine rifleman. But just a little nuts laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Haha dang that sucks!!

Good thing I am putting my stock on something that recoils 1/4 as much.

Does that mean I get 4 times as many rounds down the pipe before mine breaks wink

IC B2

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Ha!

I'll be you'll be fine. The incident I referenced was almost 20 years ago. New ownership at MPI, etc.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I know a gunsmith who put together a relatively lightweight 460 Weatherby for an insistent client. IIRC it was fired once after delivery with interesting results.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
I know a gunsmith who put together a relatively lightweight 460 Weatherby for an insistent client. IIRC it was fired once after delivery with interesting results.

sick

I think a 20lb rifle would be about right for a 460......

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 14 invisible), 2,213 guests, and 694 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,667
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.