Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I am looking to get into PRS shooting competition, and would like any advice as to what gear to think about, what is necessity and what isnt, techniques, tactics, and any tips would be appreciated. I have done some f-class but like the idea of getting off of a static range.

Something about the indian and the arrow...
BP-B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If you are hell bent on PRS decide what class you are going to shoot and build for that class. Look into the SEPRCA and NRL depending on which side of the country you live on. We ran a beta match for 3-Gun Nation and it was a hit so this year that is a new venue as well. Not sure about NRL but PRS and 3GN charge membership fees while SEPRCA doesn't.

In general it's become too gamey for me.That is to say,guys have gimmick bags for every shooting scenario. I still shoot matches with nothing but sling, bipod, and rear bag because that's what I always have on me at work. I never pack a bag full of gimmick pillows on patrol.

For a a gun I use a Manners T6A with MCS-DBM that I swap a pair of Remington barreled actions in 6.5 Creed and .308 Win in and out of. I shoot with a Bushnell HDMR and LRHS as my optic.

If I were starting fresh I'd get a Ruger Precision Rifle of Tikka CTR or Varmint and put it in a KRG X-RAY. Gas gun matches are becoming a thing and I shoot a 223 in Practical but may grudgingly buy a big frame also.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by KineticPerformance
If you are hell bent on PRS decide what class you are going to shoot and build for that class. Look into the SEPRCA and NRL depending on which side of the country you live on. We ran a beta match for 3-Gun Nation and it was a hit so this year that is a new venue as well. Not sure about NRL but PRS and 3GN charge membership fees while SEPRCA doesn't.

In general it's become too gamey for me.That is to say,guys have gimmick bags for every shooting scenario. I still shoot matches with nothing but sling, bipod, and rear bag because that's what I always have on me at work. I never pack a bag full of gimmick pillows on patrol.

For a a gun I use a Manners T6A with MCS-DBM that I swap a pair of Remington barreled actions in 6.5 Creed and .308 Win in and out of. I shoot with a Bushnell HDMR and LRHS as my optic.

If I were starting fresh I'd get a Ruger Precision Rifle of Tikka CTR or Varmint and put it in a KRG X-RAY. Gas gun matches are becoming a thing and I shoot a 223 in Practical but may grudgingly buy a big frame also.

I'm afraid they are going to kill their own discipline.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I have a 6.5-06 that I built on a rem 700. It shoots better than me. I would have to be open class.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I tell everyone that if you are going to travel with guns to compete don't use something you can't buy ammo for if for some reason you get there and your ammo doesn't. I generally lose 20-40% of the brass fired in a match because of talking grass/apparatus/time,etc. My long action AI mags are all 5rnd mags which means you'll do a mag chance or two or three in nearly ecru stage you shoot.

IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Sounds like good advice... i may have to look into procuring a backup rifle...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 11point, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 87 invisible), 2,733 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.