Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I thought this may be the best place to ask this.

Has anyone tried buying plated bullets such as berry's heating them in an oven, and quenching them to harden them.

I don't have the time to get into casting right now, but for bullets you can buy now days, plated is cheaper than hard cast because hard cast is a trend where people will over pay for the bullets.

If this works, I could take my 10mm RN FP 180gn plated bullets and quench them to essentially make them a hard cast with a thin layer of copper for less deformation and more penetration.

BP-B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
It will only work if you can find plated bullets with a significant antimony content, at least 2% but preferably more. A little arsenic in the alloy is supposed to be helpful too. Most of these are made with near pure lead to make the swaging process easier; pure lead will not quench harden.

Your idea has some merit, but I don't know if anyone makes plated bullets that have enough antimony in the alloy. I've thought about asking our local bullet maker to make some in a harder alloy like that for the same reasons; their bullets are soft and don't shoot as well in my guns.

Last edited by Yondering; 01/16/17.
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I sent an email to Berry's to ask if they use antimony in their plated bullets of if it's pure lead. I'm sure it will be pure lead, like you said, but it would be a nice surprise if they did use antimony.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Alas...thy plan no worky...

But harken thee to these glad tidings...

Ye can obtain hard cast coated bullets to accomplish thine same ends in coats of many colors* here ...

And save thine pitiful sheckels as well!

*Excepting Green...:(

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It wouldn't hurt anything to try heat treating 5-10 of them and see what your results are. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some alloying elements in the coated bullets, the question is whether or not the percentage of those elements is high enough to allow heat treating.

While I agree that likely most commercially hard cast bullets are chosen because harder must be better, I don't think that it is a trend that causes the higher prices. I think it's a combination of starting with a higher cost alloy and molds that don't have the same high production rate.

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Its probably an alloy of lead, tin and antimony but no arsenic.

Any alloy that can be heat treated must have arsenic present.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Originally Posted by HawkI
Any alloy that can be heat treated must have arsenic present.

Not true. While arsenic aids in heat treating, an alloy consisting of Pb/Sb or Pb/Sb/Sn can be heat treated.

Don

NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Doesnt work for Lino.....

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Why on earth would anyone need to heat treat linotype with a BHN of 22? But again, arsenic is not necessary for heat treatment.

Don

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Berry's,
"We do have a special spec that our lead has been formulated to and it does include some antimony.

Thank Y"

I put one bullet in the oven for 40 minutes at 430F and quenched it. I just have to wait for it to maybe harden up and then I'll squeeze it with a pliers along with a normal one and see if I can tell a difference. I don't have a harness tester but maybe I can rig up something with a tack and weight under a certain time to compare them. It won't tell what hardness it is but it will tell me if the quenched one is harder than the factory one.

So far the plating looks just fine and in tact but has changed color to a brass color instead of the more orange copper color.

IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Gohip2000
Berry's,
"We do have a special spec that our lead has been formulated to and it does include some antimony.

Thank Y"

I put one bullet in the oven for 40 minutes at 430F and quenched it. I just have to wait for it to maybe harden up and then I'll squeeze it with a pliers along with a normal one and see if I can tell a difference. I don't have a harness tester but maybe I can rig up something with a tack and weight under a certain time to compare them. It won't tell what hardness it is but it will tell me if the quenched one is harder than the factory one.

So far the plating looks just fine and in tact but has changed color to a brass color instead of the more orange copper color.

Use a ball bearing or BB instead of a pointed tack, then compare the diameter of the indentation.

I do this in my reloading press with the bullet on the ram, and hang a weight from the handle.

Last edited by Yondering; 01/18/17.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Or break down and buy a hardness tester. grin

I don't understand the craze for wanting really hard pistol bullets. I always, always, got better accuracy with less leading with softer bullets, in both autos and revolvers. Going to gas check designs was needed in magnums, but I still shot soft bullets. There are a few things that are counter-intuitive to a lot of guys, I guess this is one of them.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I had one guy say to me once "If hard bullets weren't better, the bullet companies wouldn't charge more for them." Forehead slap.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

I don't understand the craze for wanting really hard pistol bullets. I always, always, got better accuracy with less leading with softer bullets, in both autos and revolvers. Going to gas check designs was needed in magnums, but I still shot soft bullets. There are a few things that are counter-intuitive to a lot of guys, I guess this is one of them.

have you used many plated bullets, and do you understand the problems with them?

Some guys love using dead soft pure lead bullets, but not me other than for very light loads. I honestly have never found a load that shoots better with pure lead than with something like WW alloy, and that's over a whole lot of loads in pistols and rifles. The results on paper are pretty evident; I'm not sure what you do differently but it's obviously different than whatever I'm doing.

I also have never found a plated bullet to shoot as well as jacketed or good cast bullets.

Last edited by Yondering; 01/18/17.
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by USSR1991
Why on earth would anyone need to heat treat linotype with a BHN of 22? But again, arsenic is not necessary for heat treatment.

Don

Why on earth would anyone want a plating or jacket (35 BHN plus) then? If it matters Ive used up to 32 for a base shank....

What BHN increases in your lead/antimony or lead, tin and antimony alloy heat treated without arsenic are you getting?

10 points or within curing temp variances?

Ive seen the LASC document, but the author seems to have one "example" of allegedly heat treating lead and linotype compared to his numerous successes of trace arsenic present alloys.

Thanks.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Yondering

have you used many plated bullets, and do you understand the problems with them?

Some guys love using dead soft pure lead bullets, but not me other than for very light loads. I honestly have never found a load that shoots better with pure lead than with something like WW alloy, and that's over a whole lot of loads in pistols and rifles. The results on paper are pretty evident; I'm not sure what you do differently but it's obviously different than whatever I'm doing.

I also have never found a plated bullet to shoot as well as jacketed or good cast bullets.

I tried plated bullets from time to time whenever they fell into my lap. Would I or have I bought any? Why would I when I've had moulds for every application for almost 50 years now. To me, buying a bullet is anathema (except for the jacketed stuff I put through my AR).

I never said a thing about using dead soft pure lead bullets- don't put words in my mouth! WW and softer alloys fulfill 95% of my shooting needs. I shoot for around 8-9bhn for pistols and around10-12bhn for rifles, generally- certainly soft alloys by the standards bandied about on the internet these days but also rather harder than the 6-7bhn of "dead soft pure lead".

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G

Don

Do Berry's have a BHN of 22?

Well, my results are in:
I waited about 4 hours and then took a small sharp tip Philips head screwdriver and put all my weight on it for 5 seconds and here's the results.

[Linked Image]

The one on the right went pretty deep and the one on the left barely got past the copper plating. It definitely quench hardened. How much more, I don't know but I am sure it hardened.

There are many reasons why one may want a softer bullet or a harder bullet. My purpose for hardening is to get better penetration. I'll have to drop my 10mm load back down though and work back up with the heat treated bullets.

I was getting pretty good accuracy with the bullets the way they were so I'll have to see if I get the same velocity and accuracy with them heat treated.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Looks like you have brought up the BHN a bit. Exposing the lead might provide a better test.

Plating bullets usually create heat that softens the alloy a bit. "Bonded" bullets usually also expand/obturate easier due to the same priciples. It also softens the plating metal.

Water quenching any lead alloy will make a harder finished product than most age hardened bullets, period. It will be even harder if its compared to one subjected to heat and forming, one reason linotype varies in hardness not only by alloy, but also by how often it has been "used" in typset.

"Heat treating" isnt in this classification, IMO.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Like mentioned above, I don't understand the obsession with hard bullets. I mean, I understand why the commercial casters love them and sell them (antimony is cheap, tin ain't), but like gnoahhh, most of my handgun loads use bullets with a BHN of 8 - 9. Think about it, Elmer Keith built the .44 Magnum around bullets with a BHN of 11.

Don

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

I tried plated bullets from time to time whenever they fell into my lap. Would I or have I bought any? Why would I when I've had moulds for every application for almost 50 years now. To me, buying a bullet is anathema (except for the jacketed stuff I put through my AR).

I never said a thing about using dead soft pure lead bullets- don't put words in my mouth! WW and softer alloys fulfill 95% of my shooting needs. I shoot for around 8-9bhn for pistols and around10-12bhn for rifles, generally- certainly soft alloys by the standards bandied about on the internet these days but also rather harder than the 6-7bhn of "dead soft pure lead".

gnoahh, I'm not trying to put any words in your mouth - we're talking about plated bullets here, which are traditionally very soft, close to pure lead. Since the question was about hardening them, and you said you don't see a need for harder bullets, it sounded like that's what you were talking about.

You did not specify WW alloy, only "softer bullets". WW alloy is 99% of what I shoot as well; if we could get plated bullets in that hardness range, they'd work a lot better IMO.

To the OP - that's cool you were able to harden one, good on you for trying it. It'll be interesting to see if you get better accuracy on paper with them hardened; I suspect you should.

Last edited by Yondering; 01/19/17.
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Like mentioned above, I don't understand the obsession with hard bullets. I mean, I understand why the commercial casters love them and sell them (antimony is cheap, tin ain't), but like gnoahhh, most of my handgun loads use bullets with a BHN of 8 - 9. Think about it, Elmer Keith built the .44 Magnum around bullets with a BHN of 11.

Don

Don,

Its not an obsession, its just another tool in the tool kit.

For semi-autos, harder means less deformation during feeding or less fuss feeding in a progressive.

For rifles, its a means of shooting up to jacketed speeds.

For most posting in this forum, many times we arent getting a custom mould and tailoring sizing to slip fit a throat to use an alloy that obturates.

Many from the old silhouette game went to hardened bullets to keep stuff toppled over.

The list goes on, but just as many reasons are there for using plain old wheelweights; no harm there, either. Just another tool.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
HawkI,

It may not be an obsession with you, but with the new or casual reloader, there is the distinct impression that they believe harder is better. Sure, I cast a hard bullet that is used in my M1 Carbine and driven to 1800fps, but when we're talking about handgun loads that develop 1200fps or less and guys are thinking that they need a 18 BHN bullet for that, someone needs to speak out about it. Also, I have zero problems loading a 220gr SWCHP with a BHN of about 8 in my Colt Gold Cup without deforming it. No tailoring of the sizing, just a standard .452" bullet. Having a proper OAL and taper crimp is everything when it comes to semi-autos. I don't use a progressive press, and I suspect most posting on this forum don't as well.

Don

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
One last update.

I worked back up to my original load of 9gn of Longshot and it showed the exact same accuracy and no pressure signs. I didn't test for penetration though

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
someone needs to speak out about it.

Not really. Anyone who's spent 10 minutes reading about cast bullets can't help but hear that; I don't think hard bullets need to be argued about in every cast bullet conversation. I don't necessarily agree with Hawk I either, but if someone prefers using hard bullets, I don't see a problem with it.

I also bet a lot more of us load on progressives than you think. Nothing wrong with using new technology when it makes things better. Personally there's no way I could shoot as much as I do if I only used a single stage.

Last edited by Yondering; 01/21/17.
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Ive always had better grouping results and zero land leading with hard bullets (usually above 20 BHN) in my 1911s, Glocks, AR pistols, 1917 and Smith 25-5 I shoot as opposed to my usual universal 11 BHN stuff I generally feed my wheelguns.
Most of the shallow land stuff just shoots better with jacketed or rock hard cast bullets and in the shallow land revolvers wont strip at engagement at the bullet base, which the 25 does a bit, even with the bullets obturating and being sized to snug the throats.

The problem is its a PITA to have stuff dried and then run through the rather delicate Star sizer when I just want to spend more time shooting, so I dont heat treat or powder coat at all these days, unless Im shooting cast from a full power rifle load or specialized stuff like the 22 Jet.

If one has the time or inclination, using the super hard bullets that precisely fit the gun, for me, always shot noticeably better at the 100 and 200 yard handgun range.
I dont shoot at critters that far with my handguns, so it became too much work and the reward didnt outweigh anything so the softer bullets and the ease to make them won out.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
someone needs to speak out about it.

Anyone who's spent 10 minutes reading about cast bullets can't help but hear that; I don't think hard bullets need to be argued about in every cast bullet conversation.

I also bet a lot more of us load on progressives than you think. Nothing wrong with using new technology when it makes things better.

Problem is, most guys don't cast their own and are at the mercy of the commercial caster's propaganda. And anyone who has perused their websites is basically faced with a choice of 12 BHN or 18 BHN bullets. So, when they finally take the plunge of casting their own, they are predisposed to cast them hard. Sorry, but I will continue to speak out about the hard cast mentality pushed by the commercial casters.

Progressive presses are not "new technology", they've been around for many, many years. It's not a question of new technology, but rather a volume thing. I have a progressive shotshell reloading press, since at one time I competed in trap and skeet events regularly. Since I don't do that with my handguns, I would be turning out a volume of shells that would take me months to shoot. I like to reload and I teach NRA metallic cartridge reloading courses (which requires that a single stage press be used), so turning out a smaller volume of ammo on a more regular basis appeals to me.

Don

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
730 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 76 invisible), 2,915 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,589
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.