Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
What is the fix for loose sling swivel studs in a painted synthetic stock? I can tighten them but they loosen up again the next time I use the rifle.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

glue..........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
locktite red and if you don't want glue then use some plumber tape

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bill_N
What is the fix for loose sling swivel studs in a painted synthetic stock? I can tighten them but they loosen up again the next time I use the rifle.
Use a good mixed epoxy; the 5-minute stuff should be all you need..

They won't come loose again.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bea175
locktite red and if you don't want glue then use some plumber tape

Plumbers' tape is a thread lubricant...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Redneck

I was thinking either Loc-tite or 5 min epoxy. Didn’t know if Loc-tite would work with 2 different materials.
I’m a little concerned about overflow if I put too much on the threads. I suppose I could mask the holes and the top of the stud.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Any epoxy overflow is easy to wipe off if done immediately after you screw it in place..

BTDT..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Slight thread hijack, but would you use all the above for the same problem with a wood stock?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Slight thread hijack, but would you use all the above for the same problem with a wood stock?

With wood just shove a couple toothpicks in the hole with some wood glue.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem

While it might work - for a while - a PROPER fix IMHO is to use a good epoxy..

I've had, um, 'examples' of toothpick repairs in places.. smile

Now there ARE times when that's about all the can be done w/o doing some expensive repair, but it's up to the customer and should be discussed beforehand..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks guys!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not a gunsmith but I'd fill with epoxy, let dry, re-drill and thread the studs into the dried epoxy. I wouldn't screw the studs into wet epoxy in case I need to get them out later.

Or did I misunderstand the above treatment?

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any epoxy overflow is easy to wipe off if done immediately after you screw it in place..

BTDT..

Also paste wax the stock and trim with a sharpened piece of plastic when the epoxy gets to the rubbery stage BTDT. Good where the overflow is hard to get to without removing stuff in the way. But you have to watch it because some kicks pretty fast once it gets rubbery. BTDT too laugh

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fireball, one trick that's worked for me is to wax the threads on the screw before gluing in, epoxy filling the gap between the threads for a higher class fit.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The traditional, non-bubba way to do a wood stock is to drill out the old hole and glue in a hardwood rod. Then re-drill and thread the screw in. I have been modifying this on wood and synthetics by drilling out and epoxying in a threaded brass or steel insert that has external spines. You will not strip it and if you want, you can use the swivel to time it. Might have to change screw thread type from a wood to metal, but it is worth it.

Last edited by gzig5; 01/17/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I was thinking either Loc-tite or 5 min epoxy. Didn’t know if Loc-tite would work with 2 different materials.
I’m a little concerned about overflow if I put too much on the threads. I suppose I could mask the holes and the top of the stud.

All you need is a little on the first couple of threads.
You don't have to fill the holes full.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used good ole JB Weld on many many wood and synthetic stocks and never had one come loose yet

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
When a stud gets loose, I take it out,and use a file or grinder to flatten the threads on two sides. They can be on the opposite side or at, ie, 90 degrees.
then I take a small drill-bit and drill the hole slightly from the side, to enlarge part of the whole, on the inside.
THEN, put as much epoxy as possible into the hole.
If the stud has a nut on the inside of the stock, epoxy can be put on the threads, then some put through the nut. If you can come through the bed-side, fill the hole with epoxy...short of the barrel-line.
I have used JB Weld, Micro-Bed and at least 1/2 dozen other epoxies, and all have worked just fine.
I never wanted the stud out, afterwards, so can't speak to that, but I wanted to be able to use the sling, as a "hasty-sling," and I have been able to do that. This works wih wood, or plastic and fine-thread or wood-screw thread,
Have fun,
Gene

B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
To follow up on this. I removed the swivel studs and found that the shank is about three quarters of an inch with a fine thread on the end so there is a nut inside the stock. Not what I expected, and the hole isn’t much larger than the shank so without doing much rework I cleaned off the threads and applied some blue Loctite and tightened them up again. If this doesn’t work I’ll probably open up the holes a size and then use some epoxy on them. This is on a Cooper Excalibur.

After checking my other guns I found a rifle with a laminated stock that had a loose rear stud so I took both studs out and did the epoxy thing on them and I doubt they’ll ever move again.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem

Yup!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

721 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,144
Posts18,464,915
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.