Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Back in late 2000, I bought a RCBS Supreme Master Reloading kit at the recommendation of the fine folks at shooters.com . Here it is, 2017, and I am still happy with it. Except. . .

The RCBS Uniflow powder measure has been giving me trouble as of late. It started with a bridging problem trying to dispense H4831SC a couple of years ago. Y'all suggested a thorough cleanout, wiping the parts with a drier sheet. That did not work. It was just the one load and one chambering (25-06) that was giving me trouble. I have been using dippers for that one load ever since.

Things were moving along just fine. However, I got an 8 lb jug of Universal Clays and began using it for various pistol loadings starting this summer. Since then I have been having a terrible time with the powder measure. It wants to bind up on me. I made it through my pre-deer season loads and then took it apart. The drum was coated with black crud. I used a rag and carbuerator cleaner and put the tiniest bit of ground mica on the drum before reassembling. The problem was back with the next use of Universal. I cleaned it out again and I managed to get through a hundred rounds of 9mm and Universal before the crud was back.

I went 15 years with no problems with this powder measure. I do not see any wear. Is it the powder? The measure? What would y'all suggest as a next step?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
CONTACT RCBS..... They will fix you right up...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Email on its way.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like either the drum is too small or the frame is too big. Did you use the same drum on both the rifle and pistol loads? Did you try one of the other drop tubes? Either way, something is not right and RCBS will fix it for you no questions asked.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Save drum, same everything since December 2000. I've done many pounds of Unique through this setup as well.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You don't switch to the pistol rotor to do pistol rounds and use the same drop tube? Sometimes I can get away with not switching things out but if you run into problems, as you seem to have, you might try changing things out and see if that solves the problems.
If powder is bridging, make sure you have a drop tube with adequate diameter. They are cheap and I have even been known to drill one out if necessary.
Try the pistol rotor for the pistol powder. I haven't experienced what you are seeing but switching might solve the gunk problem.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Throw it away and get a Redding, I have one set up for pistols and one for rifles, I love RCBS, but Redding powder measures are a lot better. Got mine cheap on EBay. Sold the RCBS here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don,t think Universal is your problem. I have loaded many pounds for .44 Special, .44Magnum (medium loads) and .38 Special thru my old Uniflow with none of the problems you describe. Maybe RCBS changed the Uniflow since I bought mine, or maybe Hodgdon changed Universal. My supply is several years old. (Obama's first term). Good luck solving your problem.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Update:

1) RCBS never got back to me.

2) I was on EBay and found a new pistol-sized drum for the Uniflow. I snagged it for $26 shipping included. I set it up this morning and did 100 rounds-worth of pouring with zero gunk build up and less than .1 grain deviation.

I'm leaving puddles. My Universal problem is solved.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,699 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,813
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.