Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oh gotcha...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

ranger1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Why is that? According to the smith, he chambers it to allow seating a heavy, long, bullet very long. I'm not versed in the ins and outs of it. Is he wrong? Sounds like he can really stretch the performance out by doing so. I'm asking because I don't know. I'd enjoy hearing from anybody that has some knowledge of why or why not to do it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actually, not a terrible idea to use the long action if your build plans include extreme long range shooting on a regular basis. The best 30 cal BC bullets are very long for caliber and need more than the OEM magazine length to make the most of the case capacity for powder. Seating a long bullet deep into the case due to mag constraints will really throttle the performance by reducing powder capacity. I would think a longer barrel would also be the best idea to go along with burning large amounts of slow burning powder required to get the VLD bullets moving at respectable speeds. IMHO, a 24 inch barrel would be minimum for this aspect of the build, a 26 might be better.

Keep in mind that using a short mag cartridge in a long Mag action may create feeding problems which will need to be worked out, but not an insurmountable problem.

So, what is the time line on the build?

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
The only reason to run a WSM is for the short action. If you're gonna use a long action then just go with a 300 win mag. With a Remington action you've still got plenty of length to seat bullets long. Might do 22", but never 20" in that round.

ranger1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, Sheister. I'm planning to get him rolling on it this winter yet. He's done a number of these builds in the 7WSM so I would think he has most of the bugs worked out. This would be the first in the 300WSM so perhaps he'll still run into some.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Ranger1: What's the mission? Hard to plan the right built without knowing the application?

What critters and distances?

PS, long action and short barrel are usually a bad combination.

Last edited by Grand; 01/16/17.
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
So this is a configuration he had never even built before? I hear a giant sucking sound on your wallet. I do not want the gunsmith working out the bugs on my dime.

This seems a hugely unbalanced design. Any gains achieved by long seating the bullets will be lost through the short barrel. The high BC bullets in .308" are all heavy--this gun is going to be loud and kick. Neither are conducive to lots of practice and good technique. I have my doubts about how well it will feed; WSM cases have a reputation for being difficult in that regard.

You could be so much happier with less risk and expense. A modestly heavy barreled .308 win. A 300 Win with a 24" barrel. A long throated .284 Win. shooting 168 gr bullets. So many of the suggestions that others have given you.

Gun design is a systems problem of minimizing/balancing tradeoffs.It is possible in gun design to simultaneously impose a series of constraints that create a null set. Years ago my father said he wanted a very light, extremely accurate, low recoil, chambered for a "deer adequate to 500 yard" cartridge rifle. I told him no gun met all of those goals at the same time. We ended up having Greg Tannel build him a 6.5-.284 on a long Rem 700 action and a standard fill McMillan that weighs probably a pound more than he dreamed of, but he has not carried anything else into the field in maybe a decade. He also has a Kimber 280 AI in the safe, but it is nowhere near as accurate. But it is almost 2# lighter, so it is just another way to slice the Gordian knot of "the perfect rifle."

A first custom should not be exotic. It seems your gunsmith wants to pay you to put a Hemi in a Miata.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K.I.S.S. .... get a new Remington SPS SS #27255 in your desired 300 WSM, bed it in a McMillan Classic or Classic Edge, and put a Shilen or Timney trigger in it and be happy. You could have him cut a couple inches off the barrel and crown. Could also Cerakote it for protection and looks. You would also have the option to shoot it as issued to see how it shoots and if you like it. Lot easier to turn a factory gun than a botched custom build if you don't like it. Just my thoughts after seeing you head down a dark path without a plan or light.

Last edited by 7_08FAN; 01/16/17.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Ranger1, good luck with your build. The WSM based cartridges are very good and you will be happy with any you choose. Im pretty found of the 7WSM because it matches the 7RM. The 300WSM is closer to a 30-06 then a 300WM with 24 inch barrel. The 20 inch barrel idea will really handicap the round and make you with stand un-needed recoil. Just a quick comparison, my 300WM came from the factory with a 26 inch tube. It shot 180 grain bullets at 3160fps. I cut the barrel to 23 inches and it now shoots the same load at 3040fps. That is the average fps loss with all rounds fired. If you really want the WSM you could look at a model 70 short action with at least a 23 inch tube to maximize the rounds capabilities. This combo could easily be in the 7 pound range with the right stock. It would also offer manageable recoil. My 7WSM (7.5 pounds) with 140 grain bullet going 2950fps recoils in the .270Win range. My hunting loads are a lot hotter, but the recoil is still fairly light.

ranger1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Remington 700 long action chambered 300 WSM
24 inch #3 contour barrel
Timney trigger
McMillan A-2
Detachable magazine system
Over sized bolt knob
CeraKote in tan
muzzle brake

This is where I'm at. So here's the deal - I want to be able to put heavy bullets on target at long range for elk sized game (or smaller stuff if I feel like it.) This will be my dedicated long range rifle. I have several semi custom (customized - whatever you want to call them) rifles that are bedded in McMillan stocks and they shoot well. They aren't 1000 yard rifles, however. This smith doesn't let it out of the shop until it shoots tiny little groups at 1000 yards and functions flawlessly. That much I'm not worried about. The question was in regard to the build itself, not if I know how to shoot, not if I've done enough hunting to have any idea what I want, not if long range hunting is a bad idea, not if I want to shoot a sub 30 cal round, not if I can handle recoil or muzzle blast. I very, very much appreciate the input of those that have helped out, even those critical of the ideas that I initially had. Any thoughts on where I have arrived at to this point?

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I believe a regular 300 Win. mag with a close tolerance chamber would be a better bet. The long 700 has plenty of length for VLD bullets seated well out in that chambering. Combine that with custom throating and you'll be able to reach the lands if desired, and you'll totally sidestep the potential feeding issues of the WSM.

Also that's a lot of stock for a #3 barrel.

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That sounds like a much better plan! Unless you're stuck on the WSM , I would do the Win Mag, especially if you're running magazines and you'll get the velocity either way.
If you're looking to 1,000 I'd use one of the heavier #3's like a Bartlein.

Good luck!

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
ranger1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It seems like there are a lot of people advising against the WSM due to feeding issues. Hard to ignore. Why not just go 300 RUM if I'm going to go to a full length magnum? I already have the brass and dies. I guess I could sell my other one. It sure does eat a schitt load of powder up though. 15-20 grains more powder per round vs the 300 WSM.

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you've got the components, go for it! While I'm not a detachable mag expert (only used SA ones) I am not sure if you'll run into any feeding issues as I know most mags are made around the Win Mag case. I'd go #4 contour and you're on the right track with the brake!

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Regarding the WSM; they can be a PIA. I have a 270 WSM, it feeds, but certainly not as smoothly as a case with more taper. Also, you have to regularly bump the shoulder, and die set up can be finicky. Oh yes, brass is pricey WHEN available.

I will not own another WSM.

Regarding barrel contour; when I had my first rebarrel done, I was advised to use a #4 contour (with the same 270 WSM). I can carry it all day, but it's heavier than it should be. I built a 260 Rem and used a #3 and it is much more pleasant to carry, but still has enough mass to shoot well.

My suggestion is (as previously pointed out) to carefully consider how you want to use the rifle. A #4 contour is perfect for some applications, just take your time to plan it out.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

112 members (35sambar, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 14 invisible), 1,619 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,656
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.