Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I shot a large bodied whitetail with 140 gr Accubond out of a 270 win. last year. Exit hole was tiny with very little blood. Vitals were mush. Thought was strange but good results. Entry hole was slightly larger than exit.

BP-B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
X is all you need, for everything..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have only shot one bear with the 150 grain Accubond in 308 and it blew right through both shoulders at only 20 yards. I played with them this summer at the range and have developed a nice 2760 fps load with my 308 and are planning on taking them to Albera with me in two weeks for whitetails and mule deer. I find they hit exactly with the 150 grain ballistic tips out to 300 yards.

My buddy shot a 1000 lb moose in Sept. with a 7 MM REM mag and a 160 grain Accubond with a complete pass through (behind the shoulder at 200 meters).

I am really starting to like the Accubonds. They fly flat, penetrate great and seem to be damn accurate. I hope to have some further test results with them in Alberta in mid-Nov!

"I am at heart a meat hunter."
John Barsness, The Life of the Hunt
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have become pretty confident in the Accubonds performance.

In my opinion, they are as accurate as any bullet.
Also, they have enough penetration without sacrificing expansion and damage.

I have been shooting 160gr AB's out of my 7mm WSM for quite a few years and have taken quite a few deer and a couple elk anywhere from 25 feet to 400+ yards. To be honest I have found a fair amount of the bullets. They are usually just inside of the far hide and have never exploded on impact as some claim even at close range out of my short mag. The damage has always been devastating and the animals haven't gone far at all.

I have recently started shooting a 200gr AB out of my new 325 WSM. I shot a caribou last month at 391 yards and found the bullet in the far hide. There was a lot of jello in between the hole and the slug. I shot my second caribou just behind the jaw and made some huge holes in and out.

I obviously would love to always have two blood trails, but will take a "B" grade in penetration, an "A" grade in accuracy and an "A" grade in damage any day out of a bullet.

For me the priority order is:
1) Accuracy
2) Damage (Expansion / Retention)
3) Penetration

Shoot Strait....Penetrate Deep.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cacciatore,

I killed two elk with the Accubond from my .325 last year. Couldn't be happier. Great bullet. Also shot through a deer lengthwise with it.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From the front or the back?!?!?!?!? Just teasin'.

I have been really satisfied with them. In fact, many of my hunting group have recently converted. Se we cover the list below of happy hunters and calibers.

Me: 160gr 7mm WMS & 200gr 325 WSM
Dad: 180gr 300 Win Mag
Cousin Tom: 160gr 7mm WSM
Cousin Wyatt: 140gr 270 WSM
Cousin Weston: 180gr 300 WSM

If we had an ounce of sense, we would all have just bought 300 WSM shooting 180gr AB's and all had the same damn shells rather than worrying about grabbing the wrong ones.
But that would be boring......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Jeff O.

The last picture of my thread "Quebec Caribou Hunt Report" in the Big Game forum is the 2nd bull I shot with my 325. In order to get the head off, all I had to do was cut a small patch of hide on the back of the neck and the throat. Needless to say, there wasn't much chance of saving the hide.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by bwinters
Know the feeling. I've shot ~ $150 in components trying to get 160 Partitions to fly consistently accurate in my 7RM.

Am going to bed the factory stock as a last resort.

I have been shooting and hunting with the 160 gr Nosler Partition in my (2) 7mm Rem Mags that I have owned for 45 years. The rifle I have now (a Custom stocked and smithed Mark X-Parker Hale) has been shooting the 160 gr Partition exclusively for 30 years. I have not hunted as much with this rifle as with some of my Model 70's over the years but the rifle has always performed well although I don't prefer this caliber for elk.

I use a max load of IMR7828 with a magnum primer and the load consistantly shoots sub-MOA groups. I have killed probably a dozen deer and one elk with this rifle. The Partition bullets always performed perfectly for me with all game in this caliber.

I just bought a box of 250 grain .338 Accubonds for my .340 Weatherby Mag and will be developing loads for this rifle soon. I am looking forward to seeing how they shoot in this rifle.

Last edited by Oldtrader3; 10/28/09.

CDR3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I suppose my sample of one doesn't count for a whole lot, though I loaded up a few .277" 140 grain Accubonds for a friend's 270 WSM. The load was either 60 or 60.5 (can't recall exactly offhand) grains of RL-19, so the bullet was probably travelling about 3050-3100fps at the muzzle.

He shot a small whitetail doe at about 200 yards at last light while hunting with agricultural damage tags. Shot was a bit back, caught some lungs/liver, bullet broke a rib on the entrance and exit, deer dropped in its tracks. Index finger sized exit, insides were mush. He is happy with it so far, hopefully he'll have a few more samples with it this season.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by southtexas
"but at close range, i've had issues with the bullet moving too fast and not allowing for expansion."

I see this comment surprisingly often, and I never understand it. It would seem intuitive that the faster a given bullet is traveling, the more resistance it will encounter (increases with the square of velocity, IIRC), and hence the FASTER it will expand.

A given bullet should expand faster at higher velocity, oorrect? And "pencilling thru because it is going too fast" just shouldn't happen. Right?

Ok, you experts, what say you?

southtexas: No expert here,and I agree with you.....but you hear this comment a lot and I suspect what happens is that with some bullets the guilding metal jackets are brittle,and unable to withstand the impact of high velocity and maintain the broader frontal area we associate with "good" expansion. The brittle jacket material shatters,or breaks off,along with the core material(not pure lead),leaving a wadcutter effect that zips on through...leaving the impression there was no "expansion";there wasn't...there was disintegration.Not the same thing.

We got "lucky" once and recovered a 130 Hornady fired from a 270 Weatherby into a Colorado muley;it had sheared off right at the cannelure,leaving just a 270 cal wadcutter. I have a funny feeling this sometimes happens with BarnesX bullets,too.

Jacket and core material is important;guilding metal tends to be brittle;ditto anitmony cores.This is the reason TBBC's lost their good reputation when Federal took them over because they abandoned Jack Carter's original recipe of pure lead,and pure copper,and went to more brittle jackets and cores to facilitate manufacturing.JMHO smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Those who have hunted much know you don't always get bang flops with a perfect shot any given bullet or cal.; however that has been my experence with my a-bolt 270 WSM and 140gr a-bonds on my last 6 deer. One ecception doe hit a bit less then perfect, bang 30yds then flop. All at 300yds or more in open WV farm country hill to hill. Also my son killed one with Savage 270 Win. 400yds bang flop. Tack driving accuracy with both rifles. Needless to say I'm sold on them. Haven't tried 130gr a-bond yet??

Last edited by 270WSMANIC; 10/29/09.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have shot deer and antelope with 264 Winchester @ 3300 fps, from a 270 Winchester @ 3050, a 7/338RUM @ 3650, 300 Saum @ 3150. I have not recoverd a single bullet from 12 kills. The shots were from 25 yds to 530 yds. All the exits look the same no matter which rifle was used. The very repectable BC make them a great choice in open country. I am having difficulty finding more 150`s in 30 caliber, if anyone knows where I can find them, thanks.

Proud Member of the AccuBond Society.......
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cacciatore
From the front or the back?!?!?!?!? Just teasin'.

From the back. Oops! Was thinking I'd slip it behind the last rib on a sharply quartering-away deer, and, well, I was wrong.

40 yards away, the bullet smashed the hip joint, went the length of the deer, and ended up under his chin. 70 % weight retention.

I hear ya on the 300 WSM, but... .325 is just better, and if the sheeple don't see that it's not OUR fault, right? smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
KirkEDGE,

Did you field-dress the pig yourself?

I ask this because an awful lot of people, seeing a small exit hole, assume the bullet did not expand. But that normally isn't the case, and the way to find out is to examine the organs inside the chest cavity. If they have a big hole in them, then yes, the bullet did expand.

The small exit hole is common with a lot of bullets, and they don't even have to turn into wadcutters, as BobNH has pointed out they sometimes do. Nosler Partitions, for example, tend to leave an exit hole just a little larger than the bullet's original diameter, yet normally tear a good-sized hole in the lungs, especially the lung nearest the entrance hole. This is because a Partition opens up violently (the front end is very soft lead) and then the frontal jacket often folds back along the shank of the bullet.

AccuBonds work similarly. Often they end up expanded a little wider than a Partition, but at close range the frontal jacket folds back along the shank, or even breaks off.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Knowing Kirk, he had his porter Tony do all the dirty work - finding, gutting, dragging..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Expansion ,penetration, and fragmentation all aid in a quick kill. What we seek is one bullet that will do it all. To that end, I use a 200gr Accubond in a 30-06 at 2625fps MV. Comparatively, I have used the 168gr TSXBT at 2900fps. There is less than a 1" trajectory differance out to and beyond 500yds, the Accubond carries approx. 20% more energy throughout. The Accubond will loose 20% of its weight ( down to 160gr ) or probably less at 06 speeds. So, this bullet at 06 speeds will expand , fragment, and penetrate. The Barnes does not fragment, thus becoming a little less lethal.Most of my game is moose and bears with a few deer as incidental to the other two. With the high BC of the Accubonds I can step up in weight as opposed to stepping down with the x bullet and get the results I want.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Bump.......

Some excellent reading material

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My hunting partners and I have used AB's in 110g/257 Roberts, 140g/.280 Rem, 150g/.30-06 and 225g/,338WM. So far we have only recovered one.

No complaints. They are one of our three most used bullets, which include Barnes TTSX and North Fork SS.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Accubond is the best all around bullet. Just my opinion.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 74 invisible), 2,765 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.