Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I must have missed all the pre-hoopla!

Just got an email notice that Henry Arms will be shipping a single shot shotgun and a single shot rifle later this year. Have to read the reviews and maybe handle one, but it's a good bet that either a .243 or a 20 guage are in my future.

Do I need them? Not at all. But I like that type of SS and there just aren't enough Savage 219s and 220s out there any more (and NO .243s!). And ANY responsible US gun mfr.deserves the support of those shooters who want to and can.

Whatta ya think?

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it looks good, and has a good barrel, more power to them.

None of their other designs have gotten me terribly excited, however smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank goodness the price is reasonable I wouldn't pay much more for an H&R clone.Not impressed as with their lever guns but that's just me.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
welll....it ain't horrible looking, and it's fairly cheap...

https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/single-shot-rifle/

a .44 mag is a pretty smart addition, if Ruger chokes and doesn't run their #1's in it. Apparently has decent scope mounting provisions.

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
These look more like a Stevens 94 clone than an NEF/H&R. We'll see when some show up, or we get a review. I could use a "beater" .243, and if these take down easily, that is a real plus to me.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I was pretty excited about the .44 mag.,until I found out that it has a 1in38 twist!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Autofive
I was pretty excited about the .44 mag.,until I found out that it has a 1in38 twist!

Where'd you see that? What about the others?

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I emailed Henry Arms.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Why no 30-30?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Any word if they're switch barrel? I like the looks of them.

IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I'd like to see one in .32 H&R Mag, or some other centerfire small game chambering.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
At 7 pounds, pistol grip and thick recoil pad, the 45/70 looks like a good choice in a steel frame.

They could use a lighter frame and stock for the pistol calibers.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by jobyjob
Why no 30-30?

^ ^ ^ ^ should have been the first one on the list ^ ^ ^

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Why no 30-30?

^ ^ ^ ^ should have been the first one on the list ^ ^ ^

I too prefer 30/30. It has a rim. I am also old. The new generation likes the 9mm, 223 and 308. That is reality. Business is business. if the guns becomes a success, Henry could offer other calibers. The options available cover all N. American hunting. That is a good start. is it that big a problem, to suffer with a 308?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
myself, i have enough .308's.
the availability of a 30/30
would be the only reason i would
have to buy one of the new henry
single shot rifles. most younger
shooters wouldn't buy a single at
all unless they were brought up
using one with a mentor. they'd
most likely choose an ar of some kind

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Or one of the several $300 bolt guns available these days.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Why no 30-30?

Every .308 has a free .30/30 included at no extra charge, with a little load tweaking, but I agree it should be added to the list. Personally, I'd like a .357. I also hope they went 1-8" on the .223.

The contoured receiver has it all over the H&Rs on looks, and unlike TC's "pistol" action, the design allows for a normal stock profile. I'm not a fan of Henry's other stuff, but this one looks good.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The lines of this gun are much more appealing than H&R. The wood on the gun on their website looks nice as well.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 01/20/17.
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I love my T-C G2 Carbine, but have to agree that the "pistol" basis for this gun makes it so ugly you have to call it oogly! And I've never see one customized to make it attractive, at least to me.

But they DO shoot. And the switch barrel feature is pure gold. Hope the Henry rifles have that at some point.

Suspect that they are all on 12-guage frames, and will stay that way for production cost reasons. Savage's fine old Model 219 was that way for all its production life--a 12 guage Model 220 (NOT the new bolt action 220) barrel fits my .22 Hornet and .25-20 219s perfectly, just needs a shotgun forend and you're in the scattergun business. A good idea whose time has returned....

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Another huge IF is the trigger. If it's no good and hard to tune, that would be a deal killer.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If there was a .357 I would snag one and ream it to Maximum. I've done it myself with a couple T/Cs and a couple Handi rifles, they all shoot very well.

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
RLA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I emailed Henry, they will also be making one in 30-30.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RLA

praise be! ! thanks for posting the info

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by RLA

That I will own.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I emailed as well to make few suggestions and give them some insight into whom the buyers of these firearms will be. I wanted them to know how some of us think and give them the information that they may be missing some market share.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by MarkFed
I emailed as well to make few suggestions and give them some insight into whom the buyers of these firearms will be. I wanted them to know how some of us think and give them the information that they may be missing some market share.

I wish you'd tell me that info, I'd like to know.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger did make a few hundred .30-30's in the #1A, but they are now rare and spendy.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
H&R also made some 30/30 and they are not that spendy if you can find one. I walked away from several and I like the 30/30. For anyone serious, these are out there.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/7892756

The thing of it is: talk online is one thing, buying is another. Most of the talkers have enough 30/30s already.

The 30/30 was the most popular round in America at one time. We have not all died yet and we like to talk. I just saw two, that is 'two', used bolt action 30/30 in an LGS. I think savage. With all the appropriate rimless options, there was enough demand for a 30/30 bolt, of all things!

Times change and today a 30/30 in any NEW gun, even lever, is fairly uncommon. Someday, there will be a movie or some reason it will get re-discovered. The glut of used Model 94 at low cost might entice the new generation. Maybe someone will come out with a 30/30 AR version, that would clinch it.

I hope henry can build some and they sell well. I dont know why I should care, .... but; such is the nature of these things.

Here is an old listing on the H&R, specs, prices, etc

http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product.asp?productid=5862

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
To balance my last post, the reason I am looking forward to the Henry single shot is that it apparently splits the difference in price & quality between the No1 and H&R. That might just work for Henry and if they can satisfy some caliber fetishes along the way, that is great too.

W
W
earlier post mentioned that they were told the twist on the 44 mag barrel was 1 in 38, I was told, also via email that the twist on the 44 mag barrel will be one in 20, a very good feature. Maybe we have some mis info, 1/38 vs. 1/20. hope it's 1/20.

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Anybody seen any evidence for a barrel-switching feature on the Henry rifles? To me, that, after the easy takedown into two "halves," is the big selling feature for break-action single shots.

It also makes it more feasible for the mfr. to cater to the taste of rifle loonies like me who love old and oddball calibers (The .308 IS a superior caliber. But I would rather have a .30-40 Krag/US in a single shot. Actually I DO have TWO! You say .243. Sensible. But I say .25-35....).

Fortunately we have the G2 (again) and Match Grade Machine!

Last edited by Mesa; 01/25/17.

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
With Henry you can send an email direct to the CEO. He will answer. If nothing else he will acknowledge the interest in switch barrel options.

https://www.henryrifles.com/henry-repeating-contact/?concerning=contact-anthony-imperato

Whoever cares also get answer on 44mag twist, direct from the top. Or winchester73, needs to cut & paste the response from the CEO. And clearly state who this email came from.

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks, fourbore. I'll do it.

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just thinking out loud here so don’t hold me to hard empirical evidence.

The old single shot rifles and shotguns, H&R etc., were often as not behind the door or behind the seat guns for farmers and ranchers, kept for whatever occasional use one might have for such. My friend’s grandmother “Big Ma” in Alabama had one in 12 gauge for snakes or critters around the henhouse, brand unknown but it kicked like a freakin’ mule, my uncle on the old family farm in NC had a .410 snake charmer variation for much the same reason. I don’t know what’s behind the door of farmhouses and ranches today but I would suspect those old single shots may have been gradually replaced with RAR’s or something like that – I could certainly be wrong.

Anyway, point being that with fewer small farms and ranches around and with other inexpensive utilitarian options available, this Henry is going to have to sell to a more looney market. I think they see this since they put a checkered walnut stock on it instead of plain hardwood. But given that market the make or break on this will be the accuracy, trigger, ease of switching barrels and such. At the circa $300 price point I hope they can manage to pull that off.

I do wish them success in this.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I keep a single shot 20 gauge at the back door for just such occasions.

It worked as intended last year. I'd happily add a 30/30 single shot to the mix. Slim and trim and nice for walks around the property.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I really want the SS 30/30, hopefully it will either have good open sights and some way to attach a peep sight.

Though a Fastfire wouldn't suck.

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Nice scattergun, steelhead! Purty copperhead too, now its dead!

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I'd happily add a 30/30 single shot to the mix. Slim and trim and nice for walks around the property.

It is gratifying to hear all the enthusiasm for the 30/30.

Dont underestimate the stopping power of a 44mag. Without a scope, closer range, the 44mag is darn effective. More ammo that you can wave a stick at from shot shell, to 44spec to maxed out 44mag rifle loads.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I really want the SS 30/30, hopefully it will either have good open sights and some way to attach a peep sight.

Though a Fastfire wouldn't suck.

the photo on their site looks to be a lyman
folding rear like on the old 10/22's.
it also says it's drilled and tapped for
a scope mount which happens to be the
same as an H&R mount.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by fourbore

. . Dont underestimate the stopping power of a 44mag.

when used through a rifle, .357 and .44 mags have way more
power than they do through a shorter handgun. i took
my biggest deer ever this last year with my cheap on clearance
H&R .44 mag

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by fourbore
I'd happily add a 30/30 single shot to the mix. Slim and trim and nice for walks around the property.

It is gratifying to hear all the enthusiasm for the 30/30.

Dont underestimate the stopping power of a 44mag. Without a scope, closer range, the 44mag is darn effective. More ammo that you can wave a stick at from shot shell, to 44spec to maxed out 44mag rifle loads.

I don't, but I do understand it's trajectory and it can't trump a 30/30 slinging 125gr BT.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My problem is figuring out which caliber I want. Thinking the .223 and .243 should be fun little guns.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Contacted Henry about interchangeability of barrels for the new SS rifle. Was told that they won't be interchangeable and they will not be offering the barrels separately.
frown

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I can live without that, a crappy trigger not so much.

The .30 caliber models can do it all with a little fiddling, and .357 would be a nice addition for us revolver guys.

I like that they kept it traditional looking instead of going tacti-cool. If it sells, aftermarket stuff for that segment of the market will follow. Offering too many options all at once could spoil the whole deal.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Pappy348

The .30 caliber models can do it all with a little fiddling, and .357 would be a nice addition for us revolver guys.

I like that they kept it traditional looking instead of going tacti-cool. If it sells, aftermarket stuff for that segment of the market will follow. Offering too many options all at once could spoil the whole deal.

Re trigger: I will be grateful for a gun that can be disassembled with reasonable effort. Unlike the H&R, I see screws in place of pins on the receiver. That is a good sign.

Re tacky: So far Henry has stayed away from the dark side.

Re aftermarket: The old H&R could be purchased with a slender short youth barrel and the short stock. That was from H&R. The short LOP stock could be replace with a light weight plastic aftermarket. Choate, I think. I guess it was black, but not to tacky. I believe all that resulted in a 243 under 6 pounds.

I am looking forward to seeing some of these.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by RLA

There we go. I'll buy one.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Since they're offering the Big Boy in .41, that would be nice in the SS too.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
1-38 twist same as #3 Ruger I believe.

One shot, one kill........
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by magshooter1
Contacted Henry about interchangeability of barrels for the new SS rifle. Was told that they won't be interchangeable and they will not be offering the barrels separately.
frown

That bothers me not in the least. It's hard enough to keep track of sheit, much less pulling the wife's Christmas decorations out looking for a 20 gauge barrel.

When I want a 30/30, I grab a 30/30. I don't want to switch barrels to have my 30/30. Let the TC boys enjoy the LEGO rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I asked Mr Imperato about the single shots in 41 Magnum, if more of us do maybe they will make a run. They are making the barrels already. I would much prefer to have a single shot .41 over a lever gun personally.

A 222 Rem, 303 British or 35 Remington would be mighty interesting and I could dig a 357 Magnum too.

Gerry.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If they would run a few in 25-35 Winchester, they might sale 2-3.

Make a nice low recoil deer stick.

80 grain TTSX at around 2,800 fps

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by gerrygoat

I asked Mr Imperato about the single shots in 41 Magnum, if more of us do maybe they will make a run. They are making the barrels already. I would much prefer to have a single shot .41 over a lever gun personally.

A 222 Rem, 303 British or 35 Remington would be mighty interesting and I could dig a 357 Magnum too.

A .35 Rem. would be SWEET! I would have to have one of those.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Chrome

[Linked Image]

I wish for the love of God that SOMEONE would come out with a 25/35.

I remember when Winchester announced it years ago. Told GF, I'm getting one! Seems they rolled out about 17 and then discontinued the Model 94.

Fuggers..

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Myself I would like to see a 250-3000 or a 300 savage maybe a 405 that my like

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I remember when Winchester announced it years ago. Told GF, I'm getting one! Seems they rolled out about 17 and then discontinued the Model 94.

Fuggers..

You got that right.

After they discontinued the 94 the prices skyrocketed. You would think that someone at Winchester, Marlin or Henry would take note of this.
A limited run of 500 - 1,000 units would sale.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Why am I thinking....

Get a .308 and have it rebored to .358?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread got me to go look at Henry rifles yesterday. It was the first time I'd actually examined them closely; looked at a .30-30, .45 Colt and a .22 lever.

I'm still ambiguous about a couple of their lever action design features probably because I'm old school (or just old wink ) but was impressed by the obvious quality of the build. Nice wood on all of them with some decent grain, very good wood to metal fit, good triggers, the actions opened and operated easily and smoothly and the overall finish was excellent. They had a very pleasing "solid" feel about them.

If these single shots continue that same quality they should be very well received.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
No way, I'm not giving away insider info to just anyone!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I've about given up finding a reasonably priced Ruger No ! in 45-70. The steel gun looks pretty good.

Member:
NRA
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ought to be pretty "sporty" in that light rifle.

With all the interest in 20ga slug guns, a rifled 20 might sell. I imagine an inline .50 might work as well. The retail listed for these ain't all that much more than some TC barrels go for, and they're not dog-ugly.

What fresh Hell is this?
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Chrome

[Linked Image]

that would be cool.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

378 members (16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 260madman, 41 invisible), 2,797 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,590
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.