Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Almost ran over a dink 3 point shed this morning.

Seems early but I guess there is no set time.

Anyone else find any yet?

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Some were dropping around here a month ago. There was a pair of yearling bucks slurping up spillage from the bird feeders this evening and both had dropped their horns.

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have 16 different bucks on camera in the last week. Not one has dropped as of yesterday when I pulled sd cards.

I have seen people posting pics of recent finds.

Must be the heavy acorn crop and mild winter so far in my area.

Last edited by CBB; 01/16/17.

Hunt...
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Ive seen some BIG muleys sporting racks at the first of April in West Texas in years past.

I read years ago the healthiest dropped theirs first. Dont know if i believe it. I think the WT rut is going strong in South Texas.

Be nice to hear from Rio on that though.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
About time to scout some up

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I think our hard winter has caused them to drop earlier because there are quite a few losing them here and it's way earlier than normal

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Don't it just screw your day beyond anything when you find sheds with a tractor tire ?!!

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I thought most of ours have dropped already....but then I saw this guy out the cabin window Sunday......

[Linked Image]

Northern Lower MI

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Almost ran over a dink 3 point shed this morning.

Seems early but I guess there is no set time.

Anyone else find any yet?

Saw a whitetail in late December missing one side. Shot one 2 years ago in a hurry, for a big doe... Jan 1... both sides missing, yeah I'm a dummy.. I should have waited for a frontal view...

But I"ve also seen bucks here with antlers as late as first week of April. The funny thing in April, its not uncommon to see hard antlers, generally larger bucks, no antlers and ones with 4-6 inches of new growth all in the same group at the same time.

I'd have thougth in snowy regions mother nature would reserve the hard antlers longer, for defense? until closer to spring?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It's funny, one place where I hunt, they lose their racks right around the end of the first week of January, around the 6th or the 7th. 8 or 10 miles away where my father used to live and I bow hunted for about 20 years, they lose them right around the 31st of January. With that said, I've seen them while driving around, still have them into late February or even March. Go figure.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have heard that some bucks will lose their antlers early due to the stress of the rut.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for all the reports and input.

I saw a dink 4 point this morning and he still both antlers so it must be in the very early stages here.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rost495

The funny thing in April, its not uncommon to see hard antlers, generally larger bucks, no antlers and ones with 4-6 inches of new growth all in the same group at the same time.

Very similar to S Ark. IMO the majority of bucks have shed...but I've seen the same as rost in April.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Rut is just starting here.....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Shot an ugly old three legged buck a couple years back in the middle of December. When he fell one side popped off, when I grabbed the other to turn him over it came off in my hand!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tmitch
Shot an ugly old three legged buck a couple years back in the middle of December. When he fell one side popped off, when I grabbed the other to turn him over it came off in my hand!

I had that exact same experience back in 19-never-mind when I shot my first buck, a 5-point. Still have those antlers.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Early shedding of antlers is an indicator of an unhealthy or injured deer.

Used to cull sick or seriously injured deer quite a bit. Those that still had antlers lots of times shed them in handling or when shot.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by rost495
The funny thing in April, its not uncommon to see hard antlers, generally larger bucks, no antlers and ones with 4-6 inches of new growth all in the same group at the same time.

I'd have thougth in snowy regions mother nature would reserve the hard antlers longer, for defense? until closer to spring?

I've read that if there is a doe(s)that have not been bred yet and are still cycling, it will cause the bucks to keep producing testosterone and this keeps their antlers on their melons.

This is also why you sometimes see little spotted fawns in November.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
The rut is still going on here. According to the biologists the peak of the rut in this area of east Mississippi is around 9 Jan. Our season runs to the end of the month. smile

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Almost ran over a slightly larger dink horn this morning so it must be drop time.

He could be a nice one this coming fall.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
651 members (257Bob, 219DW, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1234, 75 invisible), 2,916 guests, and 1,389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,444
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.