Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Originally Posted by barm

It is considered a potential rabies exposure when any mammal bites a person. I work at a local health department and these bites are required to be reported to us and then we have to investigate. I am not sure how Texas does it, but in Virginia we have to make a visit to your house to see that you can confine the dog for 10 days and then come back on the 10th day to make sure your dog is still in good health. We also verify the rabies vaccination status of the dog. We do this because vaccines are not 100% effective and rabies is nearly 100% fatal.

That's exactly what they did. They had the tech evaluated at the hospital, nothing broken, just puncture marks. City was notified, he's on home quarantine for 10 days and then I have to take him back to be visually evaluated on the 10th day. Crappy situation all the way around. Plan is dope him up and then bring him after the 10 days for treatment and he gets a bad dog sticker on his file.

We get a bunch of bites from vet's offices every week. I am sorry you are having to deal with this.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
holy pluck, vets and techs get nipped all the time. They are drs, they can check each other out, x ray etc... OMG is this world gone to hell and a handbag..

We told em on our lab a few times at the end, as he got grouchy lets muzzle him. The one time they didn't a tech got nipped... told ya...

It goes with the territory.

If they would have cried rabies or ER I'd be finding a new clinic.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Never a bite incident. After the Dachshund had his anal glands painfully stripped by Dr.Bowser (real name) I was out in reception holding the dog while waiting to pay the bill. Doc walked around the corner into view and received a severe growl. Broke the whole place up including Tim.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My old dogs and cat were sweethearts at the vet office. The darn cat didn't even care about injections, temp measurements, even minor surgery to deal with the typical cat fight abscess.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our dog just gets a really concerned look when they take his temperature.

Never nipped when he tore his nails, but they did have to put him out as he wouldn't hold still for it.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bottom line is when the owner suggests a muzzle, you hand them the muzzle and tell them to put it on.

My uncle was a vet for 50-some years. When I was a teenager in the 70's I used to help him around the office when he was short staffed and on farm calls when he needed "someone with a strong back and weak mind" when the answering service called with an emergency in the middle of various family holiday celebrations. EDIT: It was the perfect excuse to get out of drying dishes.

Cats, dogs and sundry rodents, amphibians and birds considered his hands, arms and face a legitimate target, especially when pain was part of the equation. By the time he retired in the early 90's, both of his knees had been kicked out by horses. Half his toes were broke from cows stomping on them. His rotator cuff got torn from a cow going down while he was shoulder deep pulling a calf. A racehorse almost bit a couple of his fingers off while he was floating his teeth. A billy goat broke his ribs and punctured a lung once. He actually got anthrax in the 50's.

Every profession has "inherent risks" but not all veterinarians are cut from the same cloth.

Last edited by rlott; 01/17/17.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
A friend of mine is a dog groomer and she has been bit a few times, but nothing serious.

Last edited by Jericho; 01/17/17.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by 54Woody
No one has said it yet but you should notify your insurance company. Don't concern yourself with whose fault it is just give the circumstances to your insurers and let them deal with it if necessary.

Good way to lose your insurance dog bite claims can cause insurer to cancel your policy. And others do not like to insure you on homeowners till problem pet is gone.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I worked at a veterinarian's when I was about 13.

We were a place that kept dogs for the ten day rabies observation period. A special kennel area and we were supposed to be very careful in there - of course.

We'd use these rope loop things to handle dogs, not the ones with a handle, just rope. If it was a dog we sere supposed to keep away from ourselves we were supposed to keep swinging them so the centrifugal force kept them away.

Well I got one of the observation dogs on the end of the rope one day and I could not keep that mean SOB away from me and I got nailed. They weren't particularly sympathetic since it was my failure. He was 9 days into his observation period and now we had to keep him another 10 days. But he died that night! Then they were really pissed I had gotten bitten because they had to autopsy the brain to check for rabies. thank God, it wasn't rabies and I didn't need the shots.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Had a dog bite the Vet. Vet said it wasn't the first time and said probably won't be the last.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
No but I did.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
I wouldn't be saying schit to my insurance company.

That's her employer and her employer's problem. People in that profession get bit. Period.

Dave

Absolutely this! Getting bit, scratched, kicked, clawed, stomped, gored, rammed, head-butted, etc., etc., is part of the veterinary profession. They know (or should know) the risks and carry their own insurance.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
She's lucky it wasn't her face.

Stupid is as stupid does.
Especially after the warning.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I had an exciting morning,so I take my 8 year old Rottweiler to the vet to have them look at a toe/claw that he injured. I told them that his feet are very sensitive, he never likes me messing with them and although he's never bit me doing so that he's expressed his dislike in me touching them in his own way. Well add to that foot phobia that he has an injury and I clearly told them it would be in their best interest to muzzle him. Well we aren't in the examining room 3 friggin minutes and a young tech kneels down and reaches for his bad paw. He grabbed her arm so quick there was nothing I could do. I was floored, the little girl was wailing in pain ( he got her really good) they dragged her out of the room real quick and I'm left standing there like WTF were you thinking. They immediately started panicking about Rabies and I'm like you guys take care of him , he got his shots last July. What a Phhucked way to start the day!

You admittedly knew your dog was a bite risk. Why in the [bleep] didn't YOU muzzle your dog before taking him in?! smh !!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Originally Posted by 54Woody
No one has said it yet but you should notify your insurance company. Don't concern yourself with whose fault it is just give the circumstances to your insurers and let them deal with it if necessary.

Good way to lose your insurance dog bite claims can cause insurer to cancel your policy. And others do not like to insure you on homeowners till problem pet is gone.

Especially with it being a Rott...

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
Haven't had a dog nail anyone in the vet's office yet, but we had a big Manx cat that absolutely shredded a vet's assistance. The cat latched on with his teeth, and commenced to working on the guy's arm with his back claws. The assistance finally managed to sling the cat off, but not before the exam room took on the appearance of a scene from a slasher film.
cats er fer coyotes. smile

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by mathman
My old dogs and cat were sweethearts at the vet office. The darn cat didn't even care about injections, temp measurements, even minor surgery to deal with the typical cat fight abscess.

Same here. When we bring our 14 year old Cocker in for a trim she walks onto the scale.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
Haven't had a dog nail anyone in the vet's office yet, but we had a big Manx cat that absolutely shredded a vet's assistance. The cat latched on with his teeth, and commenced to working on the guy's arm with his back claws. The assistance finally managed to sling the cat off, but not before the exam room took on the appearance of a scene from a slasher film.

Having seen a cat do a similar routine, I am laughing my azz off. laugh

Filthy little fuggers are always good for an infection or two afterwards.

Deep infection. Ever cat needs a coyote.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have to say a lot of vets today and people that love animals in general are really fugking stupid.

My lab only wants to wag his tail, eat, and find birds. Nothing else. But he's 110lbs. and has an IQ that would make Blackheart look like a fugking astronaut. So when I take him to the vet I always ask "Do you want to muzzle him?" The answer is invariably "Why?" Gee... I don't know. Maybe because you have a 110lb's of retard staring at you and you want to fist-fguk its ass? I mean, JFC. It's a DOG.

Last time I was at the vet, I'm standing in the lobby/waiting area and some fat fugking dilldo abuser comes walking up and just starts scratching and rubbing the fugk out of my dog's head. I say "You're not making my life any easier by doing that."

By the look on her fat face you'd have thought I'd punched her in the sternum. I tell her "You really shouldn't approach strange dogs like that. Especially big ones."

She walked out. Everybody looks at me like I'm the ass hole.

Keep your fugking dickbeaters off the fugking dog until you have a read on everything.

As far as I'm concerned, AC's dog dig that girl a favor. Better to learn now on your arm than later on your pretty little face.

Nothing further.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Cat bites can be bad, some nasty, mean bugs in a cat's mouth.

Early, aggressive treatment is very important, even critical in some cases, as MadMooner pointed out.

DF

This^^^. Treat with early and aggressively with a .22 before anyone gets bit.

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

711 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 72 invisible), 3,142 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,268
Posts18,467,295
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.