24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have 9 elk points in CO. I obviously won't get drawn in units 1, 2, and a few other select hunts but about anywhere else.

I'd like to do a wilderness type gun hunt with a chance to hunt mature 6 pts - I don't care what it scores. I should clarify 'wilderness' - it doesn't have to be in a designated wilderness area just don't want to deal with alot of people. I'd prefer DIY but would also consider a drop camp in a good area.

It doesn't seem to make much sense to keep collecting points. I'll never have enough to hunt the primo units/seasons so might as well hunt an area with a decent population of mature bulls while I can still do it on my own.

So... if you had 9 points, what you do?

1) what weapon - rifle, muzzleloader

2) what season

3) what units to consider

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I were in your shoes, I'd be thinking hard about an archery or muzzy hunt in unit 76. I don't know how many points to ensure a tag, but if you're not in it for a top-tier Colorado bull, and rather for the opportunity to chase mature bulls, it would be worth a shot.

Oh, and don't get me wrong, there are some great bulls in that unit... grin

Last edited by ELKiller; 01/12/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Whoops... it looks like 2016 non-residents required 12 points for archery and 18 for muzzy. I had no idea it took that many points these days.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As you know 9 points won't get you into any premier area.

Anyone holding over 4 points needs to just go hunting, Not much diff between 4 and 15 points.

76 will be mentioned here, and its a good unit, not great but good.

For unit 76 in 2016,
Archery, 80 percent drew with 12 points.
Muzzle loader, 17 percent drew with 17 points.
Rifle was 50 percent with 14 points.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bwinters, you have 9 points, who else has points in your 'group'?

This a solo deal?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
EL - yeah I saw that as well. Actually some hunts in units 20, 49, 61, 66, and 76 require more points than I have. I haven't archery hunted in ~ 10 years thanks for major shoulder surgery. I may start shooting again - I loved it and hunted almost exclusively with a bow for the preceding 10-12 years.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K - no one in my group has more than 4 pts so it might end up being solo hunter but with buddy going along for the ride. I'm sure he'd love to haul elk off the mountain <G>

Also agree on the 4 pts thing. I really had no plan and just kept putting in for points because they were/are free. Plus I've been killing elk in areas I've been hunting. I've managed to kill a couple 6pts and nice 5 in the last 5-6 years so I haven't really felt the need to go to a 'better' unit. It just seems senseless to keep acquiring points given I'll never get into the 15-20 point units/hunts. I am open to suggestions on about anything reasonable. Or just spend them on a 3-4-5 pt unit/hunt and move on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For a rifle hunt in Southern Colorado 9 pts would be just a slightly short of what you would need to get a hunt in 76 or 61.

There are other options for sure but those are both good hunts and really great areas to see. 76 has actual designated wilderness but hunter numbers are kept manageable in both.

I'm thinking with 9 you would probably be looking at archery or muzzleloader, or 4th rifle (which could make that 6x6 hard to find).

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I drew a CO 49 first rifle elk tag with 10 points in 2016 (50% NR drawn with 10 points). I killed a 6 point bull opening morning. The unit had good numbers of elk and good access. Even in the wilderness, getting where I needed to be wasn't that rough without horses. I was surprised by the number of folks I ran into, on foot in the woods, who were scouting the unit during first rifle to see if it was worth burning their points there…

I doubt I'll ever accumulate that many points again.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I think you are kind of i no mans land.To many for some mediocre areas,not enough for great areas.

I'd burn them for a ML bull tag in unit 12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the same amount of elk pts but I also have 10 deer pts. I am burning 8 pts. in WY for elk this year and in 2018 I will use my WY deer pts. So I will have 11 or 12 pts by the time I use them for elk in CO. I will be definitely using those for a muzzleloader hunt and most likely in unit 67.

If you want to for sure draw this year I would look at muzzleloader in unit 4 or 48. Another one that is possible to draw for muzzleloader is unit 33 & unit 49.

PASS IT ON!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I don't need to burn them. I see a couple of units that need 10-11-12. I'll likely just hang onto them for a couple more years. I also have the same number deer points.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you don't need to burn them, don't you are in no man's land. Give it a few more years, no point in using them outside of 76, 61 2nd through 4th seasons.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm glad I'm out of that race. I just hunt elk, 1st rifle season for me.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by bwinters
I don't need to burn them. I see a couple of units that need 10-11-12. I'll likely just hang onto them for a couple more years. I also have the same number deer points.

Good Choice!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I'm glad I'm out of that race. I just hunt elk, 1st rifle season for me.

Me too, Bob.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With 10 points you're entering "no man's land" with few really good choices for spending that many points. As a NR you can't hunt RFW either, so you'll be in it for the long haul waiting to hunt something in the future.

And I wouldn't spend my points for a muzzy hunt in the flattops either as you'll need 11 points to "maybe" get in, but you'll be contending with a lot of "Cabela's Man" archers.

I'd say spend them in Unit 49 first rifle. There are only 80 tags available, it's a big unit and there are good elk numbers and good sized bulls. I know Unit 49 well and have hunted it many times.

"I don't live in a liberal universe, my dad gave me a brain and began kicking life lessons into it until I stopped being stupid"
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by CreekWarrior
With 10 points you're entering "no man's land" with few really good choices for spending that many points. As a NR you can't hunt RFW either, so you'll be in it for the long haul waiting to hunt something in the future.

And I wouldn't spend my points for a muzzy hunt in the flattops either as you'll need 11 points to "maybe" get in, but you'll be contending with a lot of "Cabela's Man" archers.

I'd say spend them in Unit 49 first rifle. There are only 80 tags available, it's a big unit and there are good elk numbers and good sized bulls. I know Unit 49 well and have hunted it many times.

Whoops.Didn't catch the NR part.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Birdhog
I drew a CO 49 first rifle elk tag with 10 points in 2016 (50% NR drawn with 10 points). I killed a 6 point bull opening morning. The unit had good numbers of elk and good access. Even in the wilderness, getting where I needed to be wasn't that rough without horses. I was surprised by the number of folks I ran into, on foot in the woods, who were scouting the unit during first rifle to see if it was worth burning their points there…

I doubt I'll ever accumulate that many points again.

Wow! That stuff has gotten crazy! I hunted 49 twice with four points.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Be curious to see how bad the winter kill ends up being this year. If the current rate of snow continues, it could get ugly. Just saying that I would watch that carefully before burning up 9 points in 2017.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,350 guests, and 683 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.