Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jdollar
A good leopard hunt will cost at least 12+k(usually more) over bait and about 18-20k with hounds. I had 2 unsuccessful bait hunts before the hound hunt. And that isn't an unusual situation unless you spend serious money on a premium area/outfitter

jdollar,
I think you are a little out with those figures. There is no doubt that you get Leopard hunts, and then you get Leopard hunts, as I am sure you know seeing that you had two unsuccessful baited hunts. Were all of these hunts, including the hound hunt, all with the same outfitter?
Leopard hunts is without a doubt the single most hunt that hunters get taken for a ride on.
Trying to go cheap, could end up becoming a very expensive holiday or plains game hunt. On bait, the lowest I have seen recently is $17,000. Depending on area, these hunts over bait can go out to $28,000, I've seen. The cheapest Leopard hunt with hounds that I have, from a trusted area and operator is in Zimbabwe was in the region of $26,000, and I also saw this going out to $36,000.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
GB1

S
S
Wow man no words for this. that's insane

Motorcycle owner, part time truck driver, part time Blogger

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I guess I was trying not to be too pessimistic or discouraging. My first baited hunt was in 2004 in the Matopos hill of Zim, followed by one in Limpopo province in RSA the next year. The following year was the successful hound hunt in Botswana. I haven't kept with prices much in the last 10 years...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris
On bait, the lowest I have seen recently is $17,000. Depending on area, these hunts over bait can go out to $28,000, I've seen. The cheapest Leopard hunt with hounds that I have, from a trusted area and operator is in Zimbabwe was in the region of $26,000, and I also saw this going out to $36,000.

Ahh, the greatest dreams of my youth crushed even more.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 03/17/17.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beautiful animal, hope that fella recovers well. Close call

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Maybe Marius could give us an update on how his man fared. I would like to know; I'm sure others would, too.

Gastly looking wounds, sometimes they repair fairly well.

From the looks of his eye (loss of muscle tone, eye not closed/other one is) and the deep cut just ahead of his ear, I was concerned about fascial nerve laceration. Sometimes those can be fixed, sometimes not.

Just curious.

DF

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
That is a MONSTER leopard! eek

Having been on the receiving end of one a lot smaller than that ( and it didn't manage to get on anybody....), I can tell you it is a chilling experience. One that size could induce abject terror in a hurry....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I don't know much about leopards but man, that's a whopper.

To me it looks as if the cat only got one claw into the houndsman. Think what it would look if all five razor blades had struck.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
When I hunted with Scott Van Zyl ( SS PRO SAFARIS ) a couple of years ago he was guiding a man for a leopard hunt that was doing an archery hunt. Sounded pretty cool. I left before he connected. They do pretty well on Leopard. Not sure of the price.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Nothing, and I mean nothing makes me wince like the thought of a mad leopard getting ahold of me. I scared my cat once and she was up my leg, down my leg, out of the room and up the stairs in less than about 2 seconds. I had scratches all over my left leg bleeding like a stuck pig. Cats are impressive creatures. And THAT is a monster cat.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great big leopard! Hope the injured guy recovers.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Man that is a beautiful cat. Sure hope for a quick and complete recovery for the hounds man.
Here is a contact if you want a Leopard Hunt,in Old Africa.
Mozambique www.luambeze.com/ Jamie wilson
I hunted Buffalo with him Nov 2016. He had several Leopards on trail cams. He is close to 100 % on his Leopard hunts. We had Leopards walking through camp at night. Lions as well. He has a video of himself shooting a Leopard off his tracker.

C
CWD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I had a few beers,last week, with Dale, the young man who shot the leopard. Dale handles predator control at Frontier Safari's. Apparently the leopard that Dale killed is roughly 2x the size of leopard from the Eastern Cape. The guys think that this cat may have escaped from a photo safari ranch nearby.

RLTW
NRA Benefactor Member
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,983 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,697
Posts18,456,685
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.