Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#11740561 01/15/17
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Any reason not to buy the Ruger AR-15? Seems like a great gun at a great price but I don't know AR's.

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
No reason not to--there are some non-standard parts (front sight and gas block and the delta ring and barrel nut) but if you want an AR to shoot rather than tinker with the Ruger's a good choice.

I've had one for a few years now and it's a good shooter. I put a Daniel Defense rear sight on it, and installed a Geissele SSA-E trigger and it's a fun gun to shoot with iron sights.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
...mine's not going anywhere wink

dave

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Oregon45
No reason not to--there are some non-standard parts (front sight and gas block and the delta ring and barrel nut) but if you want an AR to shoot rather than tinker with the Ruger's a good choice.

I've had one for a few years now and it's a good shooter. I put a Daniel Defense rear sight on it, and installed a Geissele SSA-E trigger and it's a fun gun to shoot with iron sights.

I'm a casual AR guy. The very reasons listed by Oregon45 is the reason I like the Ruger. The milled front sight and gas block looks more finished than the cast parts everyone else is using and I like the way the handgaurds come off. Even if you install a scope you can still get the bottom handgaurd off in a couple of seconds to clean under or wipe down if wet. And already mentioned, add a good trigger like the Geissele and good to go. Typical Ruger quality.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys!

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ChuckKY

I'm a casual AR guy. The very reasons listed by Oregon45 is the reason I like the Ruger. The milled front sight and gas block looks more finished than the cast parts everyone else is using and I like the way the handgaurds come off. Even if you install a scope you can still get the bottom handgaurd off in a couple of seconds to clean under or wipe down if wet. And already mentioned, add a good trigger like the Geissele and good to go. Typical Ruger quality.

This one had me laughing out loud.

Typical Ruger quality. [/quote]

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by ChuckKY

This one had me laughing out loud.

Typical Ruger quality.
[/quote]

Why the laugh rost495? I don't have a vast fortune in rifles, just several rifles and handgun from Remington, Winchester, Ruger, Kimber, Cooper and Savage. Pretty common collection compared to most here. The Rugers aren't in the same quality range as I've experienced from Cooper, Kimber or even the newer Baco Winchesters, but didn't cost as much either. Just good rifles and handguns for the money. Could you explain your chuckle and let me in on the joke also? Just was stating my very average man's opinion. Always appreciate any advice from the more learned souls here on the Campfire.

Last edited by ChuckKY; 01/17/17.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
They tried to produce and accurate enough rifle in the 90s IIRC, to give to the palma team. out of 12 donated 1 or 2 were almost accurate enough.

Take a Rem 700, put it in a good stock and a top barrel and it'll make palma quality all the time.

But for a cheaper gun with a cast receiver they ain't bad.

Couple that with their past piss poor politics, they can KMA.

I have one ruger I won, one was given to me, a couple of 22 pistols and a 10-22 I bought over the years and replaced teh barrels, triggers etc.. on them to get them up to speed.

Just my take. Mostly politics though.

I did buy a new ruger though, an LCP, other than the trigger pull which was expected, I've actually been impressed with it for a daily carry pocket gun in 380 and a lot of paper and one snake and one deer so far with the 380 I"m happy so far. For what it cost.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
"I did buy a new ruger though, an LCP, other than the trigger pull which was expected, I've actually been impressed with it for a daily carry pocket gun in 380 and a lot of paper and one snake and one deer so far with the 380 I"m happy so far. For what it cost."

In other words, "Typical Ruger Quality"? Fair price for an average common man's carry handgun?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I don't think Ruger's quality is lacking in the least.

They make very good schit.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Listen to him

Deflave "knows his Schidt"

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 11 invisible), 1,341 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,241
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.