Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Not totally sure how I feel about this, overall I think I'm in favor of it. The ATF has really too much become the anti-2A agency to many in the ranks, even the "honored" Agent Dodson who was whistleblower for Fast & Furious testified to Congress on the desperate need for federal gun owner databases so that federal agents could stop by for a "talk" with people who were buying more guns than the agents thought appropriate.

At this point I think armed federal agents should be restricted pretty much to only the FBI, US Marshals, Secret Service and the Border Patrol. Goodness knows the FBI doesn't have clean hands, but a lot of what they get away with is because they can point the finger at ATF for starting the problem. Let the FBI investigate crimes, let Treasury or somebody handle FFL paperwork and inspections.

http://sensenbrenner.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=398088
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Congressman Jim Sensenbrenner reintroduced the ATF Elimination Act, legislation that would dissolve the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) and merge its exclusive duties into existing federal agencies.

Additionally, the Act calls for an immediate hiring freeze at the agency and requires the Department of Justice (DOJ) to eliminate and reduce duplicative functions and waste, as well as report to Congress with a detailed plan on how the transition will take place. Further, it would transfer enforcement of firearms, explosives and arson laws to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), and illegal diversion of alcohol and tobacco products would be transferred to the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA).

Under this bill, the DEA and FBI would be required to submit to Congress a plan for winding down the affairs of the ATF after no more than 180 days, and field offices, along with other buildings and assets of the ATF, would be transferred to the FBI. It would have one year to report excess property to the General Services Administration (GSA).

Last edited by Calhoun; 01/17/17.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It and a whole lot of other alphabet agencies need to go away

There will be gnashing of teeth by liberals but you'd best be ready for that if you want to see freedom and our Constitution adhered to in a meaningful way.

Everyone wants to believe the fight ended on the night of election

Au contraire, the fight is just now beginning

PS. Trump needs to quit tweeting and lashing out at the ankle biters

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A consolidation of power, could be one interpretation.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston
A consolidation of power, could be one interpretation.

That's the argument I've heard against it. "Better the devil you know" and "ATF is smaller and easier to keep an eye on".

But ATF also has only one real purpose, and that's guns. Both ATF and the FBI are under the DOJ, so keeping them separate just ensures there is an entire hierarchy of career Feds who are concentrating solely on guns and don't care about scandals because there is no downside to scandals in the ATF. Moving it to the FBI means that it becomes a small part of what the FBI does and to a large degree can be decentralized rather than having an entire agency trying to figure out how to ban ball ammo that's been in use for decades or deciding that a shoestring is a machinegun.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Trump says he'll cut government by 20%. If consolidation gets that done, I say full speed ahead. 20% reduction in funding and personnel neuters em.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I approve wholeheartedly. Get rid of the DEA while they're at it.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Id like the representation to be more direct and limited by how they conduct themselves, else face a job change..

Filling numerous bureacracies to do what Congress has defaulted on wasnt Constitutional to begin with; it simply made government intrusion grow and illegal enterprise grow with it.

What was local cancer merely has been disbursed with money laundered and stolen from the very people it was supposed to protect. The fuggin mafia aint got [bleep] on the Fed.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calhoun
...even the "honored" Agent Dodson who was whistleblower for Fast & Furious testified to Congress on the desperate need for federal gun owner databases so that federal agents could stop by for a "talk" with people who were buying more guns than the agents thought appropriate.

I hope the ATF is completely done away with, along with *any* agents who have this attitude. I don't give a rip what those dickheads think is "appropriate". There's no law that says a citizen can 'only' own so many guns. And even if there were...stupid laws deserve to be broken.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Most gun laws are unconstitutional. Get rid of the unconstitutional laws and there's no need for the ATF.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd support disbanding the ATF

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Down with bureaucracies and those living the high life on the public teat...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do away with the whole illegal 1968 GCA and the ATF becomes unneeded. No need for consolidation of something with no purpose anyway.

Get rid of Homeland Security too. Pull out of the United Nations. Both are akin to shooting your own dick.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Anytime we can have less, smaller, Government it should be embraced by everyone.

And, the remaining Government, should be privatized as much as possible.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Make em border patrol agents. That way they can find the F/F guns they let go south.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
More border agents, stop those foreigners from taking jobs

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
How many months has the ATF been without leadership?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Calhoun
desperate need for federal gun owner databases so that federal agents could stop by for a "talk" with people who were buying more guns than the agents thought appropriate.

How the hell does the ATF get to decide how many guns are appropriate for someone to have?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It was introduced about 2 years ago.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/1329

Hope it gets some serious consideration and perhaps some updated support this time.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd say the odds are 99.9-1 against..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Since ATF agents are so good at staking paperwork....they can use that skill staking bricks and build the wall on are southern border......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
686 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 3,104 guests, and 1,436 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.