Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Winchester patterned the Model 71 as an alleged improvement on the 1886,
using the 348 WCF- sloped to aid in extraction.
The originals are still out there-inherited rifles that are not always appreciated for what they represent-the finest hunting
lever gun once made.
Do not be discouraged by an extra hole, or a slightly scratched finish.
These are bargaining chips on price, and do not affect the rifle's utility. To determine an early L tang M-71, the SN usually will fall below 16,000. The trigger on half-cock, will not move.It will on later
rifles. Some early standard rifles had bolt peep sights. For Alaska hunting, many M-71 rifles were carried by hunters and guides for hunting at mid range for caribou,deer-moose and bear. The 348/M-71 combination works well with Woodleigh-Hawk-Alaska Bullet Works bullets if you have to back a bear down on the trail or the gut pile. Guides also used fast actioned 71s in the 450 Alaskan wildcat. They needed a fast heavier caliber rifle that protected their clients.
Handloader Magazine had one of the finest tributes to the Model 71 -featuring the rifle coming to the rescue of
a figurative hunter deep in the North snow country facing down a charging bear.

Keep your nose to the wind, and your eyes along the skyline.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
BP-B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My 35/348 and 450 Alaskan 71s are sure killers. Very handy, very accurate.
Thank you 450 Fuller

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You are right, Moose. Back in the late 50's good bullets for the .348 were hard to come by. The 35/348 was a good answer because Nosler had 358 partitions.

Now-we really have a choice in bullets. I have a 450 Alaskan and a 450 Fuller on pre-War early 71s.Along the
Kenai and in other serious brown bear country, the 450s are the way to travel. Bear spray may not work.

The 348 Ackley Improved is another good one. It pushes a 250 gr Hawk at about an honest 2375-2400 FPS. I killed a nice Alaskan moose in 2007 with that cartridge using a 270 gr Hawk bullet. Great sectional density for the big stuff. With the Woodleighs-Swifts-Hawks, the 348 Ack Imp is
starting to shine in the Model 71.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 3rd and 4th guns from the top are my two Mod 71's

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 450Fuller
Winchester patterned the Model 71 as an alleged improvement on the 1886,
using the 348 WCF- sloped to aid in extraction.
The originals are still out there-inherited rifles that are not always appreciated for what they represent-the finest hunting
lever gun once made.
Do not be discouraged by an extra hole, or a slightly scratched finish.
These are bargaining chips on price, and do not affect the rifle's utility. To determine an early L tang M-71, the SN usually will fall below 16,000. The trigger on half-cock, will not move.It will on later
rifles. Some early standard rifles had bolt peep sights. For Alaska hunting, many M-71 rifles were carried by hunters and guides for hunting at mid range for caribou,deer-moose and bear. The 348/M-71 combination works well with Woodleigh-Hawk-Alaska Bullet Works bullets if you have to back a bear down on the trail or the gut pile. Guides also used fast actioned 71s in the 450 Alaskan wildcat. They needed a fast heavier caliber rifle that protected their clients.
Handloader Magazine had one of the finest tributes to the Model 71 -featuring the rifle coming to the rescue of
a figurative hunter deep in the North snow country facing down a charging bear.

Keep your nose to the wind, and your eyes along the skyline.

Some early deluxe models had bolt peeps too:

This one belongs to my buddy gunner now:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Love me those 71's
Pure artistry!

It was Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver (SFC E-7)who said:
"No, no, I've got them right where I want them -- surrounded from the inside."

http://www.macvsog.cc/1969.htm
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Most prized rifle I have.

In the East,they are devastating on large hogs and Black Bears.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
It took me a while to fully appreciate the Model 71. My first day off the bench I wondered what all the fuss was about. Mine is accurate at 2MOA or better with numerous loads, the action is smooth but so is the action on all of my well used levers, the ballistics (standard 348) good but by modern standards not awe inspiring.

Now after about 1 year of use and a successful moose hunt under my belt I can say that this rifle grows on me continually unlike any rifle that I have ever owned.

Getting off the bench and into field positions reveals the wonderful balance and pointability. My father a 2nd generation Saskatchewan homesteader was a late convert to rifles from shotguns. He settled on a 24" Marlin 30-30 with a pistol grip. He would talk about how nice it pointed. Every year we went out he would put a 170 grain silvertip through the chest of his deer and it would be over. 1 year...1 shot. He would have loved the model 71. When you get off the bench you realize the old 71 comes up fast, balanced and on target and the pistol grip and stock design is wonderfully comfortable and aids in control.

The ballistics in the original 348 are also wonderfully balanced. A 200 grain bullet at 2500fps or a bit more is actually very capable if you match bullet construction to fit the game. The 200 Swift is fully Bison ready. The 200 Flextip 300 yard capable with some nice 6-7" groups at that range on my last outing. Recoil in an 8 pound rifle is very reasonable and easily handled by my 14 year old. On my moose hunt my 800 pound bull did not move one step after taking a high shoulder strike with a 200 Flatpoint. If you like more bullet weight a 250 grain at 2250-2300fps is no slouch.

The tactile feeling of working the action is nigh irresistible. It's not just smooth, it's the combination of smoothness, tight lock-up and the snick-snick, sound that just feels right. As an added bonus load your rounds a bit hot and you have the lever pop open telling you to back down a bit. Handy!

I like the ad that suggests the Model 71 is a "Universal" rifle. Pretty much sums it up and it is evident that the Model 71 was a product of love by the older generation of Winchester craftsman, with an unbroken pedigree stretching back to the 19th century. Stock by Whelen and team, cartridge design by Gerlich, action redesign by Winchester. When you pick up an old Kelly True Temper or a Finnish Pukko you realize that you are holding a design that evolved over generations of refinement by people who used their equipment every day. The 71 gives you the same sense. I guess the best one word description is, Beautiful.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I started out deer and bear hunting in 1953 and with my own hand loads I looked at those Win. levers however they lacked scopes and I wanted a scope to see the 3" minimum antler on a Vt. buck.

The 99 Savage can easily mount a rifle scope. That was my choice for a woods rifle and a good one.

Those Win 71's can't.

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Well I like the Savage 99 too. I have one in 284 that seems to think it should shoot like a bolt gun. I'd give the 71 more style points though the 99 is in there pitching.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The 71 is the coolest of levers. Have always thought about getting one.

laissez les bons temps rouler
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
my old neighbor had a deluxe model. he told me he bought it at the Legion in the 60's for something like 75 bucks. i never knew anything about them until he showed me his. when he died his son got all his guns except for an old beat up sxs and a arasaka which he left my boys. his son is a non hunting over educated yuppy so i am sure that 71 didn't last long at his house.

i am not a fan of winchester lever guns but i wish i had offered to buy that 71 but it seemed highly inappropriate to ask at the funeral and thats the last time i saw the guy.

My diploma is a DD214
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Savage_99
When I started out deer and bear hunting in 1953 and with my own hand loads I looked at those Win. levers however they lacked scopes and I wanted a scope to see the 3" minimum antler on a Vt. buck.

The 99 Savage can easily mount a rifle scope. That was my choice for a woods rifle and a good one.

Those Win 71's can't.

[Linked Image]

I'd rather hunt deer with this than a damn savage 99:
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I like them both !!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Damn, just damn!! Every time I see Loggahs gun room my envy hormones go through the roof! (but don't stop posting them) laugh

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
One of the strangest Model 71s I have came by accident from
a grandson of the original owner. He wanted to sell it,
but as soon as they asked a few questions-prospective
buyers ran away like he had typhoid. Seems it had a scope and an unusual mounting system. Nobody was interested...
He read out "Lyman Alas" on the scope-and I bought it since the scope was worth half of the asking price. The Mount is the Weathermatic-Detroit. Very rare from the 1950s and it WORKS. Most ingenious mount, returns to zero every time and the iron sights are visible just under the scope in case its real foggy rain and you need to shoot....a Lyman Alaskan on a M-71. And I have killed deer with the setup. Francis Sell in Oregon would have liked it. So for those who think the Model 71 can't wear a scope, THINK AGAIN......for old mossbacks with tired eyes, just the ticket for a snow or rainstorm caribou-deer hunt.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Handled a 71 couple of weeks ago with a weaver side mount. Fairly difficult to get a cheek weld with that setup. Plus it ruined the way a 71 handles.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That's a gun room! I thought it was a gun shop. I was going to ask for directions! NICE

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Loggah
I like them both !!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I want to party with you sir.

Edit - I will gladly provide the paper towels to mop up my drool.

Last edited by micky; 02/08/17.

“Lighten up Francis”
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 77 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.