Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Sales rep at work related this story that happened to him:
1. He was called on his cell phone by a private number
2. Being a sales rep he answers ALL calls
3. He heard a male voice saying "Dad, they're kidnapping me"
4. Then another voice saying if your want to see your kid again you need to follow these instructions.
5. Don't hang up, don't call the police, don't talk to anyone.
6. This person directed him all over town, and had him wire $5000 in $1000 increments.
7. After this was all over he called his son (wasn't kidnapped) and the police confirmed it is a known scam.

I asked him why he didn't write someone a note and he said all he could think about was his son being kidnapped. He said the voice even sounded like his son.

Now...what are the odds that someone knew he had children, let alone a son... for a random call...

If this is truly random, be safe with your family.

CaliRN

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If he had the opportunity to call his son, why didn't he do that first?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 4ager

See step 5 above.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
he could of called from a different ph.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Did he try to negotiate costs?

$5K sounds like a lot of money if all you get is your teenager back.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A third world scam.....they knew he had money and children....

With social media easy to get a lot of information about people and families.....

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sounds about a phoney as all the bimbo's getting picked off, held for couple days and turned loose. Maybe people just want their name in the news.never hear anymore about it soon afterword!!!!!!!!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by mohick
Sounds about a phoney as all the bimbo's getting picked off, held for couple days and turned loose. Maybe people just want their name in the news.never hear anymore about it soon afterword!!!!!!!!

Words of wisdom from our resident Mouth Breather.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs

See step 5 above.

Have someone else call your kid. Schit ain't hard, and plenty of ways to do it without telling anyone what is going on. "Hey, my phone is acting stupid. Can you call my son for me?" Text the kid and ask if he wants to go out for pizza for dinner, or take his GF out this weekend, or whatever.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

See step 5 above.

Have someone else call your kid. Schit ain't hard, and plenty of ways to do it without telling anyone what is going on. "Hey, my phone is acting stupid. Can you call my son for me?" Text the kid and ask if he wants to go out for pizza for dinner, or take his GF out this weekend, or whatever.

Remember two years ago the psycho that killed a few folks in LA?

Prior to actually going postal, subway and bus video showed the guy pointing his pistol at people's heads whilst they were engrossed in digital devices.

People are not aware of their surroundings, nor do they have common sense.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mr. flave sir: As too the fact I have no idea whom you are or any idea as to what you have, and you are in the same situation with me, lets throw out the olive branch of peace?? We can go on calling each other names drawn at random which have no meaning what so ever, or we can both go on enjoying this site as we choose. I make the first move extending the hand thanks: hick

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

See step 5 above.

Seems so simple until you get the call and it's your kid.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

See step 5 above.

If it was my kid, you could bet your ass that I'd be doing everything possible to verify and to get a HELLUVA lot of assistance and support on finding the kid and hopefully killing the SOBs involved ASAP.

Verification comes first, and there are a LOT of ways to skin that cat.

Kid probably has a best friend, right? Or GF/BF? Damned sure has a mother, and other relatives.

THINK.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mohick
Mr. flave sir: As too the fact I have no idea whom you are or any idea as to what you have, and you are in the same situation with me, lets throw out the olive branch of peace?? We can go on calling each other names drawn at random which have no meaning what so ever, or we can both go on enjoying this site as we choose. I make the first move extending the hand thanks: hick

let the games begin![Linked Image]

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
as to the OP, sounds like gambling debts to me. 5k?
of course it was in calif.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by stxhunter
he could of called from a different ph.

I hear you, but if I'm say driving down I-40 at 75mph by myself I don't have a different phone available.

I have no idea where this guy was at the time. I can't imagine trying to explain to some stranger at a check cashing center in Watts if they could call my son to see if he's alive.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CaliRN
Sales rep at work related this story that happened to him:
1. He was called on his cell phone by a private number
2. Being a sales rep he answers ALL calls
3. He heard a male voice saying "Dad, they're kidnapping me"
4. Then another voice saying if your want to see your kid again you need to follow these instructions.
5. Don't hang up, don't call the police, don't talk to anyone.
6. This person directed him all over town, and had him wire $5000 in $1000 increments.
7. After this was all over he called his son (wasn't kidnapped) and the police confirmed it is a known scam.

I asked him why he didn't write someone a note and he said all he could think about was his son being kidnapped. He said the voice even sounded like his son.

Now...what are the odds that someone knew he had children, let alone a son... for a random call...

If this is truly random, be safe with your family.

CaliRN

With social media it's extremely easy to find out extensive amounts of information on someone.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

See step 5 above.

If it was my kid, you could bet your ass that I'd be doing everything possible to verify and to get a HELLUVA lot of assistance and support on finding the kid and hopefully killing the SOBs involved ASAP.

Verification comes first, and there are a LOT of ways to skin that cat.

Kid probably has a best friend, right? Or GF/BF? Damned sure has a mother, and other relatives.

THINK.

I THINK, it is easy to second guess someone when you aren't the one in the situation. #MMQB

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Seems like it would be more rewarding to have a job.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can text while talking on the phone. You can even text 911 I believe. You can ask your kid what your daily carry gun is and if the answer is wrong, you know it's BS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 405joe, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,381 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.