Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Thanks. Just googled this old guns magazine with a Flaigs ad. Some fun reading here and it brings back memories.

http://www.gunsmagazine.com/1960issues/G0260.pdf

Just browsed thru that magazine. Man, the things that are in there to buy. And those Hodgdon powder prices! $99.75 for 150lb drum of 4831!!
Egads! Thanks for putting that up. Great stuff.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That was a great read. Thank you for putting it up.

Semper Fi
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by rifletom
Thanks. Just googled this old guns magazine with a Flaigs ad. Some fun reading here and it brings back memories.

Just browsed thru that magazine. Man, the things that are in there to buy. And those Hodgdon powder prices! $99.75 for 150lb drum of 4831!!
Egads! Thanks for putting that up. Great stuff.

Yes, great for putting that up, except it makes me sad that I didn't (or wasn't' able to) take advantage of these prices at the time! I remember as a teenager going into Interarms (foot of Prince Street, Alexandria, VA) and seeing $39 M-1 Garands, $69 Johnsons, $9-19 Mausers, $19 Lee-Enfields, etc. Makes me want to cry now!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I enjoy reading those old '60's publications and ads.

Man, if we knew then what we know now, we'd stock up on certain items, like $40 Lugers, Colts, FN action, etc.

Some things today are better, like powder selection, modern bullets, etc. But, those old classic guns are something else.

DF

Your comment made me remember something my ol dad used to tell me. He fought as an infantryman in the Battle of The Bulge, and during his time he said Lugers were nice to collect and trade for, among the soldiers, but they weren't all that big a deal. You'd see guys walking around with ten to twenty of them at the time...a single coat hanger through the trigger guard of all of em for easier carrying.

That must have been a sight to see.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Read the ad and then scroll down to the next page...to the "Know your lawmaker" article. The first person mentioned was ol Hubert Humphrey. Seems he was a supporter of our 2nd Ammendment rights. Wow...guess that wasn't all that rare back in the day before their party of choice went down the drain. JFK was a life member of the NRA if I remember correctly.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
There is a Flaig's rifle on GunBroker now. A 243

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Read the ad and then scroll down to the next page...to the "Know your lawmaker" article. The first person mentioned was ol Hubert Humphrey. Seems he was a supporter of our 2nd Ammendment rights. Wow...guess that wasn't all that rare back in the day before their party of choice went down the drain. JFK was a life member of the NRA if I remember correctly.

They were conservative compared to today's Libtard Dems.

Like they said in the '80's Olds ads, this is not your Father's Oldsmobile.

Well this is not your Father's Democratic party, either...

DF

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Several on Guns America now, look like nice rifles.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a Flaig's Custom Mauser in 30-06. The barrel is full taper with slide over sight. It covers the barrel proof marks and dove tail. Do you think the barrel could be identified if I removed the sight?

I have added a Leopold scope mount, scope turn down saftey, and Timey trigger, pillar mount and action bedding. I'm I hurting the value of this gun? I only want it to shoot well. It wasn't shooting good at all. The best I could do is 4" - 5" at 100yds.

Any information or advice on this gun would be appreciated.
MM879

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a Flaig's, not a Biesen. Can't see how modifying it would hurt the value, assuming the work is properly done.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Flaig's is old school Mauser action custom rifles. Usually using custom barrel from Douglass in WV. The shop use to be in Pittsburgh, PA in a cool log building. All of the ones I saw were high quality, accurate and a flawless workmanship. Use to be the best in the day. Hope that helps. Have a great evening
Gary U

Last edited by GaryU; 09/27/17.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The work being done is all by a Gunsmith. The reported accuracy was before the work was done. I haven't shot it yet. The gunsmith just finished the stock work and did a test fire before the final bluing and refinish. He reported that accuracy is back to normal. He sent a photo of the target, but my phone doesn't accept photos. I didn't see the target. The gunsmith is 225 miles away. The gun was beautiful before the work. It has a Leopold 3 x 9 scope
MM879

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The gun sat in a vertical gun case so long that the but plate flattened on one end. The but plate is a "White Line. I need to get a 1" thick but plate to come out to a standard length gun. When I compared it to other similar Mauser's at the gunsmiths house my was about 1" short. I think the stock might have been designed for a youth. Can you recommend a but plate in the white line style that matches the comb cap on the rifle. The comb cap is white line also.
MM879

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They also stocked Sako barreled actions, and stamped their name on them along with the factory stampings.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

God! Wouldn't we just love to see those prices again!!!

I visited Flaig's store in Millvale PA in the 1980's. Really a neat place. The quality I saw in the rifles I examined was very good, but I haven't shot one.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My uncle bought a Flaig's barreled commercial Mauser action in 7mm Rem Mag and had a custom stock made for it. This was in the 1960's and was as close to a custom rifle as he could afford at the time. He kept it and hunted with it for many years but always was bothered by the fact that it would not outshoot his "cheap" Remington 700 ADL after all the money he spent on it. I bought it from my aunt after he died and I have it now. It can be finicky with lighter bullets (139-140 grain) but consistently shoots 160 Nosler parititions into about 2" at 200. It seems to be a good, hardworking gun, if not a huge commercial value. It's also a good-looking gun with nice deep bluing and a pretty myrtlewood stock. It's already lasted two generations; who knows how many more it will last?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
702 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 3,131 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,744
Posts18,401,246
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.