Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I took my daughter to one of the NY hunter education classes last weekend. We were there for about 14 hours total. There was homework that had to be completed before staring the class. We spent 2 - 3 hours completing it. Daughter scored 98 on her test and was irritated that she missed a question. Some observations:

-There is now one website used to register for every class statewide.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7860.html

-The classes fill up very fast but I learned from my daughter's instructor that there are always no-shows and the instructors will take walk-ins if the prospective student has completed the homework.

-13 of the 32 students in the class were female.

- Only about 1/3 of the class were under the age of 20. The oldest seemed to be in his '70s.

-Daughter had to load and fire two rounds from a 20 gauge. They had her use a beak open single shot that had no recoil pad. She didn't appreciate the recoil.

We were taught some interesting stuff:

-The flight path of a bullet can be described as its "projectory".

- A bullet rises out of the muzzle before starting to come back down. cry

- Nine out of 10 times a deer that has been shot will circle back to the hunter to see what all the ruckus was about. Usually they will do this in a counter clockwise direction. cry

-The instructor held up a Butt-Out tool and said. "A butt-plug is very useful in field dressing a deer". He kept going, twice more referring to a butt plug. I was trying hard not to LOL. I had to put my face down on the table to stifle the giggles.

I'm glad the I was finally able to get my daughter into a class. She is an athlete and sports have always been her priority. We are looking forward to the youth hunt next October.

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
"A bullet rises out of the muzzle before starting to come back down"

If I had a dime for every time I heard that....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
- A bullet rises out of the muzzle before starting to come back down.
It does rise but they never mention that it rises (in relation to the earth) because the barrel is tilted upwards.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
- A bullet rises out of the muzzle before starting to come back down.
It does rise but they never mention that it rises (in relation to the earth) because the barrel is tilted upwards.

Cha ching

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Yep, rises above the line of sight. That's why the rear sight is taller then the front sight.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
"A bullet rises out of the muzzle before starting to come back down"

If I had a dime for every time I heard that....

If the muzzle is slightly elevated (as if maybe for the bullet reach the plane of the scope at 100, 200 yards) it will.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
So a bullet rises above boreline after it leaves the muzzle?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No, not above the bore line, but not many want to start out 1 1/2 inch below the scope and go down from there

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
So, once again, a bullet DOES NOT rise after it leaves the bore.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had similar experiences when I sat through it with both my daughters. My favorite was the retired sheriff, who owned the local gun store, who told the class that the rate of fire for an AR was so fast that it was possible to get 15-16 bullets traveling down the barrel at the same time. eek

Over all though, you have to remember the people teaching those MANDATORY classes are all volunteers who give of their own time and money in some cases to keep our tradition alive. For that they all have my respect.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OH CRAP, YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS.
It's too early for this chit.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
WOW. Gravity defying bullets now. What will they think of next?

Last edited by super T; 01/18/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, it is ridiculous to say "every" bullet does that when it is common knowledge that bullets from a 7mm Rem. Magnum shoot flat for 200 yards and then rise up a bit...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by super T
WOW. Gravity defying bullets now. What will they think of next?

Super-high, physics-defying scope rings that magically flatten trajectories.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Every ballistics program shows that if you sight in at 100 yards with your 500wizmag, that the trajectory at 50 yards is like +.6"

So obviously, the bullet raised.

Law of fizziks.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a rifle that really does that... but the bullet goes so fast that you can't see it. Its custom!!!

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

NO -- the scope is pointed down, so you are pointing the barrel up when you shoot in relation to the sight plane.

Think before you ask these things !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

NO -- the scope is pointed down, so you are pointing the barrel up when you shoot in relation to the sight plane.

Think before you ask these things !

Facetious question.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

If you shoot anything at 500 yards with iron sights you can literally see the bullet wake (air turbulence) raise above your sight plain and drop into the target.

Heck when you make adjustments on things shot past 1500 yards or so you have to understand that the bullet is dropping into the target and your "clicks" adjustment gets all crazy because part of the click moves the bullet past the target... but only really crazy long haul shooters have played with that enough to know.

Newbs !

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Southerntier8

I took my daughter to one of the NY hunter education classes last weekend. We were there for about 14 hours total. There was homework that had to be completed before staring the class. We spent 2 - 3 hours completing it. Daughter scored 98 on her test and was irritated that she missed a question. Some observations:

-There is now one website used to register for every class statewide.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7860.html

-The classes fill up very fast but I learned from my daughter's instructor that there are always no-shows and the instructors will take walk-ins if the prospective student has completed the homework.

-13 of the 32 students in the class were female.

- Only about 1/3 of the class were under the age of 20. The oldest seemed to be in his '70s.

-Daughter had to load and fire two rounds from a 20 gauge. They had her use a beak open single shot that had no recoil pad. She didn't appreciate the recoil.

We were taught some interesting stuff:

-The flight path of a bullet can be described as its "projectory".

- A bullet rises out of the muzzle before starting to come back down. cry

- Nine out of 10 times a deer that has been shot will circle back to the hunter to see what all the ruckus was about. Usually they will do this in a counter clockwise direction. cry

-The instructor held up a Butt-Out tool and said. "A butt-plug is very useful in field dressing a deer". He kept going, twice more referring to a butt plug. I was trying hard not to LOL. I had to put my face down on the table to stifle the giggles.

I'm glad the I was finally able to get my daughter into a class. She is an athlete and sports have always been her priority. We are looking forward to the youth hunt next October.

I know an instructor family just like that... the arrogance was amazing, they were book learned and had NO clue about real life. Evidently not very well book learned either.

I enjoyed teaching hunter ed for many years here. But there was this one town full of hoodlums..... but they were at least just teenagers..

I've assisted teaching a few times and quit due to the stupidity of the main teacher.

There is only one guy i'd help, and he is now deceased.

On a side note, I watched a 70 year old about pass out the other day in amazement when my buddy walked up while they were about to saw off a deers tail while skinning it and simply pull his piranta out and slice it off at a joint.... they'd never seen that and thought it impossible... they'd have really been amazed to watch me take complete moose apart with a short bladed piranta and no saw. Heck I dont' even think we keep a saw in camp that I"m aware of....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,226 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,208
Posts18,466,129
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.