Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by gunner500
I held a reworked CZ by that cat out West, IIRC, American Hunting Rifles, good God that thing was sweet!

It would have left with me were it for sale, and I already have a Custom Heym Mauser in 9.3x62.

Gunner, here's an AHR 9.3x62 I traded for a few years ago, really accuate and well done. It has AHR's trigger, but I think a Timney is better. It was a tad heavy, I ultimately traded it. But, for looks, hard to beat. It was almost too pretty to hunt. I kept my .375 H&H NH M-70 SS Classic, 21" and fluted with NECG irons. Not as pretty but shoots about as well. Not a problem scraching that one... laugh

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It just so happens that I know the guy that owns this rifle now. wink

It is a piece of art.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
So you're the lucky one, eh? grin

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love the old #1's but a magazine rifle makes sense. Like this

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/610259591

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If those BB were closer to $1k, I'd be really tempted...

I've got a semi custom 700 I just couldn't grow to love which I'll probably ship and I got a good deal a couple years ago on a new No.1 which I love.

My buddy got a great deal on an NOS CZ550 and fond a McMillan on their specials page. Sent it off to AHR for their #3 package (IIRC). What a fantastic rifle! Those guys do absolute top notch work.

After I trip some other stuff I'll be building a twin to my Ruger Alaskan in 9.3x62.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A Ruger is never a bad choice, a quick trigger job, usually nets a good shooting rifle. Barrels now mfg in-house and good quality. Tank tough actions.....

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I know this will seem to be blasphemy to you true safari rifle guys but I had a Ruger RL ultra light '06 re- bored and chambered to 9.3x62. It shoots 325 gr Norma ORYX to 1 " at 100, it is a dream to carry all day and the last bull elk I killed didn't say a word about being killed by a $600 rifle he just fell over. Every pound I carry is important to me as is the caliber and reliability of the rifle. The Safari rifles you folks talk about are beautiful but for the most part have barrels way too long and are just too heavy, for me. I carry my rifle all day and shoot it once. Just my opinion and preference, nothing more or less.
Good Hunting
Lj

Last edited by Heavybullets; 01/04/17.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
That's an 18.5" bbl? What kind of velocities? Not that it matters at all but just curious.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Earl The RL Rugers are 20" barrels, and I shoot my 325s at 2300. They can be pushed faster. I've used that bullet in a single shot at 2500 in a 9.3x74r ,same result on the elk.
Good Hunting
Littlejohn

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
That's moving right along. Not much less than 23.5"bbl velocities.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mauser M-12 Extreme

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I like the 20" barrel on my 550FS 9.3X62. Medium and large bores seem to be less sensitive to length than 8MM or less bores. My rifle's velocities seem only slightly lower than other's 24" barreled rifles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLDUCK
For a 9.3x62 which rifle a Ruger African or CZ American.
I would make the following modifications to the American
NEGC sights, barrel band, 3 position safety, ebony forend tip.
The Ruger would probably be left as stock besides bedding the action properly. Is this needed with the African?
What say you?

I owned one of the CZ550 Americans. A bit on the heavy side, but amazingly accurate with the 286gr Nosler Partition/RL15. Wish I had kept that rifle! laugh

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
CZ made a 9.3 550 carbine with kevlar stock. That should be light enough (ideal) if you can find one at any of the distributors.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-550-carbine-30-06-5-rd-fixed-mag-adj-composite/

The 9.3 was a big deal for a few recent years (I mean in usa), now I dont see any on the shelves. The Ruger was changed to a muzzle brake and I dont like those new guns. The CZ is mannlicher only and I prefer a floating barrel. Except as an old double trigger nostalgia gun, which I do like.

I like the 9.3 better than any of the old or current 35 caliber American rounds. Nice middle ground performer between the 30's and 375HH or larger. That is all nosalgia aside, it is a good solid round with factory loaded heavy bullets.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by fourbore
CZ made a 9.3 550 carbine with kevlar stock. That should be light enough (ideal) if you can find one at any of the distributors.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-550-carbine-30-06-5-rd-fixed-mag-adj-composite/

The 9.3 was a big deal for a few recent years (I mean in usa), now I dont see any on the shelves. The Ruger was changed to a muzzle brake and I dont like those new guns. The CZ is mannlicher only and I prefer a floating barrel. Except as an old double trigger nostalgia gun, which I do like.

I like the 9.3 better than any of the old or current 35 caliber American rounds. Nice middle ground performer between the 30's and 375HH or larger. That is all nosalgia aside, it is a good solid round with factory loaded heavy bullets.

I like that one.

The Sako Black Bear is more expensive, but looks like a good one.

http://www.eurooptic.com/sako-black-bear-93x62-jrsb554.aspx

DF

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My CZ 550FS does have a full floating barrel.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by husqvarna
My CZ 550FS does have a full floating barrel.

I am not familiar with this gun so; I stand corrected.

Usually, there is some kind of end cap that attaches to the barrel or front sight on a mannlicher. If not 20" of long skinny wood will randomly touch the barrel, even flex under hand pressure. The CZ 452 used a mounting screw 1/2 way down the barrel and floated the last 10 inches. Apparently the 452 system worked very well. The 455 is a problem in my view.

There is another nit pick I have with 550 mannlicher's. That is how the hog back handles recoil. For bigger guns a straight line butt stock is better for recoil. There are a lot of hogback 416 Rigby's that are tough to shoot with what should be a very manageable firearm. I would want a straigh stock on a 9.3. Scope mounting works out better with a higher comb. The hogback is optimized for iron sights. Which is good, if the shooter prefers, light and fast irons.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I really like my LH Tikka T3 Hunter. Super light. Unfortunately, it seems to be discontinued or no longer imported into the US. See:

http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3-hunter-93x62-with-rings.aspx

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by nathanial
Mauser M-12 Extreme

^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^

Mauser cartridge in a Mauser rifle. Love mine. One of the best all
around mass produced rifles I've ever seen.

Last edited by Blackbrush; 01/25/17.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Zastava M70PSS All Stainless.

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have some concerns about Zastava. The price is right but the quality is suspect with apparently no support.

I handled two recently a 22mag and a Remington/import 375HH. I have to say right up front, based on price alone, I almost purchased the 22. The 'looked' like a hck of deal. And, I still might. I did some home work and it is not all good.

There are guys refinishing the rim fires and they seem generally happy. Or happy to have a cheap project. You read closely, almost everyone has had a problem or had some mechanical issue. Magazine feeding, broken firing pin (rare) or broken extractor. No big deal, you get a gun for 1/2 the going rate and occasionally minor things go wrong. Here is the big deal, Zestava does not have a sales network in the USA. There is ZERO support. No parts availability and no support of any kind. You need parts, buy another gun! And you may need parts, not like buying a browning.

Go to Zastava website and they give the impression to be doing business in the USA. No! They ship to a seller and wash their hands of the whole situation.

I admit, I could be all wrong. This is research on the internet for what that is worth. It is enough to scare me off for now.

secret squirrrel,

that looks like a Model 70 clone. Is it a copy of a winchester? Maybe you can post more on your experience. Where purchased and for how much. Did you get a warranty? Scope mounting, accuracy, reliable function, trigger? A phone number and warranty card?

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

406 members (10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 163bc, 36 invisible), 2,604 guests, and 1,026 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,804
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.