Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I like most handguns, especially revolvers. Now only have two automatics (yah, I know....): a 1959s Colt "Sport Woodsman" and a Savage 1917. Keepers.

Also own my grandfather's .44-40 Colt New Service DA, a Bisley .32-20 I traded off a Mexican "vigilante" (more like a stock detective/watchman than some kind of terrorist) in 1962, a beautiful S&W K-38, an S&W 651 stainless .22 Mag "Kit Gun" DA, a Ruger Bearcat, and a stainless Ruger Single Six .32 Mag.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I seem to end up with a bunch of handguns probably 30 or so from some of my gun deals my best two i have are a 38 colt owned by Al Capone, and a Merwin Hulbert Double action in 44-40.I forgot a colt 1911 made in 1912.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
No Savages here. Just a bunch of Colts (New Service, Police Positive, and Woodsman), and a K-22. My pocket autoloader desire begins and ends with a Walther PP. Not really much of a pistolero.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have a variety of vintage and modern.
Couple of favorites;
Flintlock, ~.54, made by London gun maker Henry Nock, ~1800, gun maker to King George III (who lost the Revolutionary War)
and,...
70 Series Colt, shoots smooth as butter.

[Linked Image]

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a few Smith & Wesson's including one that is USAF marked that South Vietnamese Huey pilot "gave" me during the evacuation of Saigon.
David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I thought this might make an interesting thread. You guys certainly didn't disappoint.

Gene, I see you have a knowledge of Remingtons. I believe my Navy conversion, or whatever you call it, was factory made in 38 rimfire and not actually converted.

I've seen that ivory grips were an option for the 44s, but I don't know about the 36s. Do you suppose they could be factory original?

I find information about antique Remington revolvers to be quite scarce in comparison to Colts.

Last edited by gregintenn; 01/18/17.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
One SA Inc. 1911A1 that's coming back home after a theft. A reissue Ruger Flat Top .44 that may get a 4 5/8 barrel installed (it was a bit of a user when I bought it). And a High Standard Military HD. Used to have a Ruger Security Six and Single Six, and a Colt Challanger. The Colt was stolen with the 1911A1 and it was the first pistol I ever bought. I'm not holding by breath it will ever come back home as I think the 1911A1 was a fluke.

Last edited by S99VG; 01/18/17.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sig 938 that shoots well
Llama Minimax .45 - going soon
Ruger MKII KMK678GC that'll hold 10 rounds in a 2" circle @ 100 off a bag and a weaver 2-7 pistol scope.

NRA Life Member
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I lucked into this Colt 45 Bisley for a song at a local auction. It didn't take long to decide I needed to make a holster for it. I thought it turned out pretty good.
[Linked Image]

I'll play along. I love Colts, and S&W's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is new to me as of Christmas. One of those "look what you got me deals". 1959 Single Six, unmodified. Nothing like that Colt Bisley though. That is sweet Greg.

Attached Images
OM Sgl Six a smaller.JPG (76.58 KB, 20 downloads)

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Greg, I have some knowledge of some Remington's, but not the percussion's or the conversions. My thought's when I first saw it was that the ejector looked rather simple compared to the look of the rest of the conversion, I think a factory conversion would have a better ejector design but I can't rule it out.

I have two military issue pistols, one issued during the US Civil War, a 44 Starr, and one issued late in WWII, 9mm Browning Hi Power, I even have a WWII issue holster for it some place (not numbered to the gun) -

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
trivia - the Browning has two more screws in it than the 1907 & 1915 Savage pistols and the same number as the Savage 1917.

And this Quackenbush was in the same safe -
[Linked Image]

Gene
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
These were acquired some years ago and they have not even been pulled out for a wipe down in a few years. I liked the size & proportions of these in 32 rimfire, which is what all these are other that the Marlin at top which is 22. Left to right 2 Whitney's, two Marlins, a Smith's Patent and a Smith & Wesson.

[Linked Image]

I also have three Deringer's, top two 32 rimfire and bottom 22.

[Linked Image]

...and yes, they are Deringer's -
[Linked Image]

Some members of Henry Deringer's family produced these after his death.

Gene
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JP Sauer & Sohn 38H .32ACP
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

1860 Colt SAA. SN 35,0XX all matching
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Some really neat stuff!

Gene, That Starr appears to be in amazing condition.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nice Starr. A buddy of mine has one that a previous owner had chopped the barrel and loading lever back to about 3-inches. Nothing was left for holding the lever in place so the guy must have had to tie it up. About 30-years ago mybbuddy got a replacement barrel and lever from Dixie gun works. Amazing that you could still get that stuff as late as the 1980s

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Greg, Have you looked at the 38 rimfire adapters offered by Dixie Gunworks? I have never tried them, they have been selling them for a long time - .dixiegunworks.com ...but a review on their own site doesn't sound good - product_reviews_

The Starr shows very little wear, the bore is almost perfect. There is a lot of marking on the nose of the hammer from apparent dry firing, but the nipples still look quit good.

Here are some better pictures taken with a little daylight, these show a nice combination for a Union Cavalry man who couldn't get a Spenser. I bought the bullet box a few years after the carbine and since it still need a lever latch I have not yet shot it, the bore looks good so it should shoot well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by GeneB; 01/19/17. Reason: added link

Gene
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Gene,
I've seen a similar device sold in Europe at very ridiculous prices, but wasn't aware Dixie Gun Works sold them. Thanks.

I've actually been to Dixie Gun Works. It's worth a trip to see. They have a really neat antique auto museum there as well.

I never tire of seeing your interesting items, and am grateful for the knowledge you share here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A few Sharps and a couple Remingtons...

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
You guys make me feel inadequate! grin

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Gene, my wife's uncle had all of the family firearms. When he passed we couldn't find his Star, 1876 Colt SA, or an early 38 that was used by an other uncle who was the constable on Neville Island, PA. We told the auctioneer that the family wanted any firearms to stay in the family. After he liquidated Uncle Erny's estate his receipts showed he found the three hand guns and sold them on an on line site. When we called him on the issue he said he was "told by the executor of the estate to sell everything, so he sold them". The Star was handed down through the family and they had the name of the relation that carried it in the Civil War. If the A-hole of an auctioneer had of told us he was putting the guns up, he would have made a lot more. I would have sold my kids to keep those guns in the family. I guess it's kind of like Gary not liking to buy from pawn shops. I've got some screamin deals at auctions, and I never think about the family. The Star and the Colt both sold for about $700, maybe 5 years ago, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,477 guests, and 728 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,676
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.