Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Hey guys I just bought a new Winchester model 70 sporter in the 264 win mag. My question is about the scope base mounts, is the screw hole drill pattern the same on new Winchester as it is on pre64's.

GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yes,they are the same. Unless it is the pre war M 70,those are different.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

But, whether the answer is yes or no, this is what you need:

Your rifle has the same hole spacing on both front and rear of the action. You need Post '64 mounts with hole spacing of .860"(front and rear).

Leftybolt

Last edited by leftybolt; 01/18/17.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks Ken for your help

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Ok, so there not the same? Any suggestions on bases? I just bought a New Winchester model 70 sporter 264 win mag I wann run 30 or 34mm rings. EGW 1 piece base or individual base's. Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Just edited my post above.

.860" hole spacing on both front and rear of action is what you need(measure it to confirm).

I have several Win. 70s and most are set up with Talley two-piece steel bases and vertically split rings. They are very rugged and sleek looking.
Click on the link below to see pics of my Win 70 in Olive McMillan FWT stock with Talley steel mounts:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5536458/2

Leupold Dual Dovetail two-piece bases and rings are also rugged and look nice.

Many here on "the campfire" like the Talley lightweight ringmounts that are an aluminum one-piece ring/base combination. I'm not a big fan of them. They work, I just think they look ugly/cheap.

Good luck, that's a heck of a nice rifle you got there.

Leftybolt

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for all your help Leftybolt.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Jeremy783
Ok, so there not the same? Any suggestions on bases? I just bought a New Winchester model 70 sporter 264 win mag I wann run 30 or 34mm rings. EGW 1 piece base or individual base's. Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.

For two-piece Picatinny bases, check out the Burris Xtreme. I've had good luck with those.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Ok I will look at those as well

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Might want to check out the DNZ site and what they offer.

http://www.dnzproducts.com/

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I am leaning toward one of the DNZ mounts

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Buy Talley two piece, most custom builders use them

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Ok I will research the Talley rings, Thanks

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Jeremy,

Buy whatever you like but here's something to consider.

First off, you don't need Burris Xtreme mounts. Save those for a military rifle. DNZ are bulky/ugly and aluminum will never be as durable as steel.

You've just bought yourself a very nice, "classic hunting rifle". Put something on it that is sleek and good looking. Something that won't destroy the fine, classic lines of that rifle. Both the Talley steel mounts and the Leupold Dual Dovetail mounts will never look out of place on that rifle and will give you all the durability you'll ever need. If you go this route 20 yrs from now you'll still look at it and say, "Now that's a classy looking big game rifle!"

No regrets.

Leftybolt

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"DNZ are bulky/ugly and aluminum will never be as durable as steel."

WTF......how durable do they have to be? Lighter than steel, no lapping. Ugly....guess that's a personal thing.

Here's a new Model 70 with DNZ's.

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SS30ANV/media/SCOPES292013%20002_zps5dppthxe.jpg.html][Linked Image]

Last edited by Wacenturion; 01/18/17.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Ok guys!!! I didn't wanna start a opinion war. I think since my finish on my barrel is gloss blue I will narrow my choices down to Talley or leupold rings an bases. As far as DNZ goes.... I had a set of them on a older 700 that had a dull finish on it an liked the set up really well.. nothing wrong with DNZ mounts. Good looking set up you got there... wacenturion.

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Don't forget to give Conetrol a look.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you go Leupold, strongly consider the Dual Dovetail.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Wacenturion,

Sorry. Guess I forgot to insert the smiley face emoji in my post.grin

Relax, this is the internet, it's all good! Sorry you misunderstood my post in the way I intended it(as a bit sarcastic), just having a little fun here. grin After all we're both on the same team(Team Model 70).

You are exactly right, it's all in the eye of the beholder. It's nice that we have so many options available that suit our individual tastes.

Now having said that,

Yep, your pic proves my point, them DNZ mounts are bulky and uglyyyyy....! laugh

Never lapped a Talley or Leupold ring in my life. Just got to take a little care when mounting to get them straight and presto!!!...no ring marks.

Now, look how svelt, clean, and uncluttered these Talley and Leupold mounts look in comparison:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sorry, Jeremy, didn't mean to derail your thread. Just wanted you to take all things into consideration so your happy with whichever mounts you decide on.

And yes, Conetrol is another really nice option.

Ya'll take care and have a great day!

Leftybolt

Last edited by leftybolt; 01/19/17.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Leftbolt!! You as well have some good looking lefty rifles... I myself am a left hand shooter... but unfortunately all my rifles are right handed guns.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I grew up in a right handed family. Tried to like a right hand bolt gun for a long time(Dad had a Pre'64 Win. 70 in 30.06). Oh how I loved that rifle but just couldn't get used to the right hand bolt. Finally, bought a LH Rem 700(cause no LH Win. 70s were available in the early 80's). First time I hunted with it I got a shot at a muley buck and imediately went to cycle another round in anticipation of a followup shot if needed. Interestingly enough, I reached over the scope to cycle the bolt from the right side of the rifle. grin Got a good chuckle out of that.....had to teach myself to cycle the bolt from the left side!

Being a Lefty has been the curse of my life as far as firearm purchasing goes at least. For years I lusted over what I couldn't have because it wasn't available to the left hander. Finally decided spending a little extra money on customizing a very few lefty rifles might be more beneficial than waiting(hoping) for the gun manufactures to produce what I wanted(all the while knowing it probably wasn't going to happen). It hasn't been cheap but I now have what I want and am satisfied with the result.

Have to admit, however, If given the chance to own a true Model 70 FWT in a LH short action, I'd probably jump. grin

Good luck with the new rifle, you got a good one.

Leftybolt

Last edited by leftybolt; 01/19/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by leftybolt
Wacenturion,

Sorry. Guess I forgot to insert the smiley face emoji in my post.grin

Relax, this is the internet, it's all good! Sorry you misunderstood my post in the way I intended it(as a bit sarcastic), just having a little fun here. grin After all we're both on the same team(Team Model 70).

You are exactly right, it's all in the eye of the beholder. It's nice that we have so many options available that suit our individual tastes.

Now having said that,

Yep, your pic proves my point, them DNZ mounts are bulky and uglyyyyy....! laugh

Never lapped a Talley or Leupold ring in my life. Just got to take a little care when mounting to get them straight and presto!!!...no ring marks.

Now, look how svelt, clean, and uncluttered these Talley and Leupold mounts look in comparison:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sorry, Jeremy, didn't mean to derail your thread. Just wanted you to take all things into consideration so your happy with whichever mounts you decide on.

And yes, Conetrol is another really nice option.

Ya'll take care and have a great day!

Leftybolt

No offense taken. Those do look nice and clean, at least on lefty models... grin

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Consider S&K as well.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice.

`Bring Enough Gun`
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Consider S&K as well.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

There a beautiful rifle!

Semper Fi
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 8 invisible), 1,567 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,563
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.