Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Texture seems to be more important to me as a I age. Presentation per se doesn't matter to me, but it is an indication that the cook or chef took care with what they are doing rather than just slopping it on a plate.

If you think texture doesn't matter, than you don't care whether your steak is prepared rare, med/rare, med, well done of however you like it.

I do care how my steak is done. rare. But beyond that I could care less the texture as in noodles. Or the presentation or shape.

Taste governs that, more than rare doesn't have the same taste IMHO.

Tastes good it goes down. Its after all food, nothing to waste time over really, eat and get on with life.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
BP-B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like fried chicken and watermelon!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Texture seems to be more important to me as a I age. Presentation per se doesn't matter to me, but it is an indication that the cook or chef took care with what they are doing rather than just slopping it on a plate.

If you think texture doesn't matter, than you don't care whether your steak is prepared rare, med/rare, med, well done of however you like it.

I do care how my steak is done. rare. But beyond that I could care less the texture as in noodles. Or the presentation or shape.

Taste governs that, more than rare doesn't have the same taste IMHO.

Tastes good it goes down. Its after all food, nothing to waste time over really, eat and get on with life.

I think people confuse taste and what they think of a change in taste is really a change in texture.

Think of a freshly caught salmon that is cooked until the flesh just firms up. Compare that one that has been frozen for a year and is over cooked.

Both salmon taste the same, but due to the texture that eating experience is totally different.

If you enjoy sushi and have had good sushi, you'll understand why a master sushi chef spends 8 years learning how to make rice. Getting the texture of the rice just right is essential to making good sushi. Mushy rice, or dried out rice, no good sushi. Perfectly prepared rice, good sushi.

Let's look at another dish that seems so simple, biscuits and gravy. Light, flaky biscuits and gravy of just the right consistency is a wonderful breakfast. Now you can use the same ingredients, have the same taste but brick hard biscuits and gravy with the consistency of paste is un-edible, even though both dishes taste the same.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
50% taste 25% texture 25% appearance

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JSTUART
On the other hand I am perfectly happy with food prepared by a cook and do not require or want a magnificent repast conjured by the twinkle-toed culinary artiste of the year.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This
So long as the steak is cooked right.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by huntsman22
It all looks like chit, when I'm done with it.....

lol

+1, good one.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Taste, then texture, and hopefully it looks "good"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a pretty decent cook. Folks generally like my stuff, but I have one big shortcoming, and that's presentation.

Three of my signature dishes are:

1) Orange Slime: This is a mix of Velveeta, cream cheese, Cincinnati Chilli and Salsa, microwaved on High for a good long time and stirred until fully blended. It is a rippingly good dip, but it is a tan/brown mass with red inclusions that looks horrible. Once you get past that, it's awesome dip. A hillbilly girlfriend introduced it to me years ago

2) Barf: It's real name is Mujadara (SP?) and I learned to eat it in college. It was cheap and filled your belly and a plate of it would keep you running for a day. It's lentils, rice, onion and a bunch of Middle Eastern Spices.
It is served with fried onion garnish and a bottle of hot oil. However, my 3 sons took one look at this stuff in the crock pot and named it.

3) Green Slime: It's another college-era creation. It is a thick vegetable soup looks like it was eaten and lost. It is the most unappetizing look of the bunch, but I used to feed hordes with it back in the day,

If you're really into this sort of thing, the absolute masters of this are the Ethiopians. If you ever find an Ethiopian restaurant, go there and try everything on the menu. Everything is served as an unappetizing glops on a big tray and you eat it with something like Pita bread. The globs are incredibly good, they just look bad. Don't delay getting there. I've never seen an Ethiopian restaurant stay open for more than 6 months, and I suspect it is the presentation that does them in.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I'm known as a picky eater, I'm picky about textures more than anything. Also heat and cold.

I can eat corn flakes and I can eat raisins, but I can't stand raisin bran. crunchy bite with the occasional gooey squirt. If I can't finish my cereal before it gets soggy I throw it out, no corn kernels in my rice or mashed potatoes, my sides need to be hot so I eat them first and singularly, meat can be warm or cooling. No grit or chunky grains in bread. Plain ice cream and any melted gets tossed. No fruit in my jello.

Kent

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Given some of the places I've had to hole up, picky eating did not become a habit.

A well cooked visual appealing meal is greatly appreciated, and I'll let the chef know it.

But very rarely am I not a member of the clean plate club, regardless of fare.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
522 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,973
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.