Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I would bet on water in the fuel. They didn't by chance get in some "Colorado" crap? It is already E10. Does your fuel come from Montana or Utah, Idaho, or local Wyo. stuff. If the battery was bad, you may have fouled plugs with a weak spark.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
fwiw, the last trouble i had, my load tester
was miles away. there is an auto zone store
2 blocks away so i took it there. dilbert
the parts boy sez sir your battery is kaput.
i knew that was wrong so as soon as i could
access my own test equipment i found my alternator
was no good just like i thought it was. new
alternator fixed me right up. i've also had
to look up my own parts because they didn't
have the slightest clue what i was talking about.

a free diagnosis is worth exactly what you
pay for it

sorry, no helpful hints as i have no experience
with those kind of frigid temperatures. i can
say for sure that the gas we buy these days
is about half water and half pee.
was the pump pressure at the rail in spec ?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It sounds like ice-slush in the fuel filter.
The fuel pump runs till it reaches pressure then shuts off so I'm still thinking fuel filter.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
as bad as the gasoline is these days
changing the fuel filter frequently
is not a bad idea, although many newer
vehicles that i know of (fords) no
longer have a serviceable fuel filter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If your temp have been like our (nothing above the teens for about 3 weeks) I suspect one has frozen water in the line, pump, or filter. That's one of the components one gets as alcohol degrades. I'd try getting it into a heated garage and pop the filter, dump it, let it warm in the house, and try dumping it again to see if any melt occurred.

1Minute
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I tried the starting fluid, I think it made it harder to start. Almost like it had to evaporate before the motor would start then run for 2-3 seconds and die.

Do you have air flow thru the filter?? You've most likely done this but if not open the air filter box and pull the filter and try it. If the engine won't pick up when you spray starter fluid in the air intake you may be oxygen starving it. Course if there's ice in the fuel line you're fuel starving. That's a SWAG from a shade tree mechanic but I'd check it. If you somehow got water in the filter and it froze or if there's anything else in there to cause a serious occlusion it would create problems. But a code reader is more likely the gem.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Does it have a chip in the key?

Our Expedition does exactly that with one of the keys, which is now retired as a starter key. The chip went bad. We keep it on our person when traveling as a spare door opener in case we lock the real keys inside. Been known to happen....

frown. And it went bad just like THAT- overnight you might say. One day it worked, the next it did not.

But it sounds like water...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by coat4gun
If its still below freezing there could be some water in the gas that has frozen in the line or filter.

My first thought too.

Can't hurt to add Heet.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most gas is already 10% ethanol. Any water in the tank would already have been put into solution by the ethanol. I don't see how adding a different type of alcohol, in this case Heet, will accomplish a thing.

As a kid gas stations used to have big displays of Heet. You don't see that anymore now - for a reason.

Also, when was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Does it have a fuel injection or a carb? If the latter, check to see if the carb valve is sticking. (I suppose sitting in the cold for days could do it- but doesn't sound too likely... we had an airline baggage ramp doing that - new carb fixed it.)

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drover
ice in the fuel line. if you can get it in a heated garage for 24 hrs I bet it will start right up.

drover

This..

I think your problem is fuel related.

Wish you luck.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
As I understand it (not an organic chemist) E-10 can absorb a lot of water except at low temps. At lower temps, there can be a phase separation resulting in a water layer.

Apparently the methanol in Heet does not do this.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Needs gas

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by hanco
Needs gas
Basically, yes!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm kind of late to the party here but if you're still chasing this problem:
I agree with most of these others that it's ice in the fuel, probably the filter. If you can get it into a warm garage, it'll thaw out in a couple of hours. If a warm garage isn't an option, a tarp that could go over the car and reach the ground and then an ELECTRIC space heater under the car near the fuel filter if possible should get it going. A hair dryer to the filter might be faster. If you don't have a tarp, putting hay or straw bales around the car to keep the heat in would work as well.

You said the tank is full, but if there was room for 5gal of room temp gas in the tank, that'd probably thaw it out and allow the HEET that you put in the tank to work.

This brutal cold just makes everything more complicated doesn't it?

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Low fuel pressure from clogged fuel filter or a fuel pump on it's way out. Sometimes the fuel filter is part of the fuel pump assembly. Fuel pressure gauges are cheap! I just went through this with my Son's Chevy pickup. If you decide to replace the pump/filter yourself research the price of the parts first. The price range is astounding with GM being the highest.

Ralphie Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I just got done reading the codes. P1315. Bad ignition coil, coil wiring, on cylinder 4 or maybe the ECM.

So I switched the ignition coil #4 with #3 and got the same code but for #3. There isn't one in town but it'll be here in the morning.

I'm optimistic that that really is it since the code changed when I swapped them.

But If there is an issue with the fuel as well I'm not sure if that throws a code?

When I googled this code there was a youtube video that came up that showed the exact same symptoms.

Last edited by Ralphie; 01/18/17.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If it's the fuel, it would probably throw a low fuel pressure code. That's what happens with my Duramax. Not nearly the same thing of course but there you have it.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ralph,

After you change the bad coil, which now resides @ #3, I'm betting it's going to be flooded as schidte, from all the starting you've been trying to do.

Here's the important part. Once ready to start, hold your foot flat to the mat, on the gas peddle, while turning over till it catches.

This will shut off the fuel supply, until combustion occurs.

Once running, take it & your cell phone for a decent drive. Pick up a can of seafoam while out & add it to your gas. It will help to clean up your injectors 'n' stuff.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Fuel issues will not throw a code.

If there is a schrader valve on the fuel rail, fuel pressure can be checked there with the proper gauges.

Does this vehicle have a mass air flow sensor ?

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 74 invisible), 2,915 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,658
Posts18,399,290
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.