Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My son took his class this past summer. I learned a few things as well.

One of them was that to point you muzzle in a safe direction, means to "point it towards that area that will cause the least amount of property damage."

My 11 year old son just turned around and looked at me. He already knew that was dumb.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
So, once again, a bullet DOES NOT rise after it leaves the bore.

Correct...it rises above the line of sight, not bore line.

But to the OP...I have heard sillier things from the mouths of supposedly 'professional' shooters. My personal favourite being the fellow that had to stop shooting 'roos with a .243 because it was still rising at 400 yards and didn't start dropping 'til 700...but wait for it, he sights in at 100 yards (actually 50 yards, as I have watched him)

And if you want to hear some seriously cringe-worthy tales then chat with those in the military or coppers, occasionally you strike one that is switched on but most are so ill-informed that you simply won't believe the stupidity.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
So a bullet rises above boreline after it leaves the muzzle?

NO -- the scope is pointed down, so you are pointing the barrel up when you shoot in relation to the sight plane.

Think before you ask these things !

I ain't the one not thinking.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I work with a guy who claims to shoot "long distance matches", even though he didn't know what F class was.

His Savage in 7mm Mag is better than any custom and he's deadly out to 2000 meters. grin He's about as good as his regular job too.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

If you shoot anything at 500 yards with iron sights you can literally see the bullet wake (air turbulence) raise above your sight plain and drop into the target.

Heck when you make adjustments on things shot past 1500 yards or so you have to understand that the bullet is dropping into the target and your "clicks" adjustment gets all crazy because part of the click moves the bullet past the target... but only really crazy long haul shooters have played with that enough to know.

Newbs !

Wow. I"m amazed. I"ll have to learn how to shoot longer distances correctly I guess.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

NO -- the scope is pointed down, so you are pointing the barrel up when you shoot in relation to the sight plane.

I ain't the one not thinking.
Time for a drink, ain't gonna get any better... lol

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Pugs
I work with a guy who claims to shoot "long distance matches", even though he didn't know what F class was.

His Savage in 7mm Mag is better than any custom and he's deadly out to 2000 meters. grin He's about as good as his regular job too.

Sounds like he has relatives here.

The part that really irritates me is that I cannot work out if they really believe this rubbish or they just think I am stupid enough to go for it.

So I go with the big country hick response..." is that right".

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be inclined to compose a list and route it to the state director.

Hope you can find time to get the daughter out.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

lmao

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bbassi

Over all though, you have to remember the people teaching those MANDATORY classes are all volunteers who give of their own time and money in some cases to keep our tradition alive. For that they all have my respect.

I was keeping that in mind, held my tongue and didn't challenge any of his assertions. He got the safety parts of the course correct. I figured that was good enough. I do have a lot of respect for the volunteers. They donate countless hours to making new hunters.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Only in the southern hemisphere, if you're shooting west.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Well, it is ridiculous to say "every" bullet does that when it is common knowledge that bullets from a 7mm Rem. Magnum shoot flat for 200 yards and then rise up a bit...

i wouldn't admit to owning one of those super loud whatnots.
not to mention wrong caliber.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Southerntier8
Originally Posted by bbassi

Over all though, you have to remember the people teaching those MANDATORY classes are all volunteers who give of their own time and money in some cases to keep our tradition alive. For that they all have my respect.

I was keeping that in mind, held my tongue and didn't challenge any of his assertions. He got the safety parts of the course correct. I figured that was good enough. I do have a lot of respect for the volunteers. They donate countless hours to making new hunters.

I took the Hunter's Safety course in Utica when I lived there from a guy who hunted extensively - deer, rabbits, birds and such, and hunted everything including deer from a stand with a 12 gauge double barrel. He was a decent instructor but didn't know diddly about rifles. Have to mitigate that by adding that we were in the "shotgun only" zone of NY, rifles for deer are only allowed in the northern half of the state. (or were in 1988 when I took the course)

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
a matter of opinion I guess.
like the one i heard in one of these classes.
semiauto's are more reliable and more jamfree than a revolver.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I sat through hunter's ed with my oldest son so that I knew what I had to correct. All in all, it was not too bad, and I admired the amount of time and effort the instructor had gone to in terms of developing and acquiring teaching materials.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by JSTUART
So, once again, a bullet DOES NOT rise after it leaves the bore.

Correct...it rises above the line of sight, not bore line.

But to the OP...I have heard sillier things from the mouths of supposedly 'professional' shooters. My personal favourite being the fellow that had to stop shooting 'roos with a .243 because it was still rising at 400 yards and didn't start dropping 'til 700...but wait for it, he sights in at 100 yards (actually 50 yards, as I have watched him)

And if you want to hear some seriously cringe-worthy tales then chat with those in the military or coppers, occasionally you strike one that is switched on but most are so ill-informed that you simply won't believe the stupidity.

You are referring, of course, to the military and coppers of your own insignificant country.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
On a side note, they are idiots for not at least having a pad on that 20gauge single shot.

I'd have told him, for every shot my kid has to fire, I'm punching you in the back of the head.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
T
I took my kids through the NY Hunter safety course a couple years ago. It was a sad JOKE. First night the " instructor" opened with running a you tube add for the company he works for, and then announcing he would be selling raffle tickets for Air rifles ( was selling tickets to 12 year olds). Next night the "assistant instructor" gave us a demonstration in " safe gun handling" and proceed to sweep the muzzle of his shotgun over us in the class ! Then on Test day the "instructor" set up a table with a variety of knives he was selling as part of his retail business, oh and the test was never administered! HE simply told my daughter " you think you would have passed right?"

I complained to Albany and the regional director held a unique 1 day class for my kids so they could at least be tested and demonstrate Theiler knowledge.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Ya know none of this is true.

All you have to do to get your bullet to raise above the bore is to spin the turret in the "up direction"... that's because the scope is bending the back of the barrel and pitching the bore in an upward direction.

Scopes bend the barrel down so the bullet flys up more, that's why we bed scopes these days- good mechanical contact is required to bend the barrel just the right amount.

Some scopes (typically leupold) are harder to get good metallic contact with, so when you spin them the barrel doesn't bend the right amount and the scope gets blamed for not tracking...

laugh. Just in case anyone didn't get the obvious... you must be [bleep]'n me read on this post.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 01/18/17.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Ok seriously now - we all know that when you spin turrets actually moves the target, not the rifle.

This is why a deer doesn't know the difference between a 223 AI, and a 30-06, they feel the scope moving the deer a whole bunch more than the impact of a bullet.

This is alway the cause of many missed shots- some of the scope manufactures don't test on real deer, the test on deer simulations, and they don't move and stretch as much as real deer.

Next time you do a tracking test, go look at the target and you will note - the rifle never moved, but the bullet hit in a different place - you got it folks, the TARGET is moving.

Come on people. laugh. crazy cool

Last edited by Spotshooter; 01/18/17.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,625 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,977
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.