Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by drover

OK, I am back into this one more time - my suggestion was

Reasoning -
22 lr - Because everyone needs a good rifle chambered in 22 lr, if I could only have one rifle it would have to be a 22 lr, inexpensive to shoot, lots of good ammo, and they usually get shot a lot more than any other rifles.

223 Rem - It can be downloaded to cover the 22 Magnum and your other smaller 20 and 22 calibers. Accurate and good combination of paper-punching ability and a great varmint, so much so that my 22/250's never come out of the safe anymore.

243 Win - It can be loaded to duplicate the 22/250 using 55 gr bullets and can easily handle deer/antelope, etc with the 95/100 gr bullets.

260 Rem - It can also handle deer/antelope, etc and is easily capable of elk within normal shooting ranges of 200 - 300 yds. All of this and just slightly more recoil than a 243, what's not to like about it.

I am like everyone else recommending stuff, I think that because this is what I generally use it must be the answer for everyone. Well, it may not be the answer for everyone but it surely has worked for me for a lot of years now.
If anyone could be left out it would be the 243 since there is more overlap between it and the 260 than anything else in my choices.
All minimal recoil cartridges and all are cartridges that have a great track record.

drover

I agree with Drover, with one minor change. I would substitute the .243 recommendation with a 6mm Remington.

I would take the $$$ from the sales of all the extraneous stuff you were not keeping, and upgrade glass on each of the rifles kept, and pick up a new range finder.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

GB1

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
Nice rifles for sure, young guys want plastic. Only us old guys appreciate wood.

The plastic gives me the chills. I know what you mean.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
barm,

Not sure I did?? but when I was doing more hunting (with family and friends) and less worrying about if I had just the right rifles it seemed like a good start wink

You really can't go wrong with what people have suggested as far as the calibers - just do it, go hunting and don't look back smile

PennDog

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I know the 243 is more practical, but the long neck of the 6mm sure looks good. My 243 is stainless and the 6mm is blued. If I regretted ridding myself of the 6mm I could rebarrel the 243 later.

I have a Leica rangefinder now. My glass on the 6mm Remington and 243 are NF 2.5-10x42's. I am very happy with them. I have Zeiss, Leupold, and a few Weavers too. I have never owned a Schmidt and Bender or Swarovski, I could try them.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by barm
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by harv3589
I would narrow it down to 4

.243 just because I like them

This pretty well sums up my feelings also.

As far as the 260 for elk - a resounding yes, at least Idaho elk don't know it isn't enough cartridge. If anyone asks just tell them you are using a short version of the 6.5x55.

drover

I like it.

If you like it, then go with it! If you reload, you can pretty much duplicate the performance of all the other calibers you have with the .223, .243, and .260.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
It'd be easy for me to cut that list down. I'd start by getting rid of all the Remington junk.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by harv3589
I would narrow it down to 4
.243 just because I like them

Another vote for harv's combo above ^^^^ ... And another vote to buy a .270 Win with the proceeds from the "thinning". MRC X2's and MRI Mountain Eagle rifles both seem do a good job at mitigating "felt recoil", at least for me.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Okie John,

I have a nice set of Zeiss binoculars and a Leica rangefinder, so I will check those. My scopes consist of Leupold, Nightforce, Zeiss, and a few Weavers mixed in. The boots are a great which I would probably screw up.

The '06 rifle is a great suggestion, but I would have to download to use it. I had to take a break from shooting and hunting for medical reasons and now that I am back into it I am starting to realize how much pain I blocked out. I can go out today and shot my 243, 6mm, or 260 and not feel bad afterwards. I think I know my limitations and I don't want to condition myself to ignore the pain. I used to shoot much bigger stuff and I may again someday, but right now I don't want to try. You are right though about the availability of ammunition and I may get stuck having to use someone else's rifle on a trip. Thank you for your help I may end with a bigger caliber in a few years.

I didn't realize you had a medical limitation. I hope you feel better soon.

The 308 can do a lot of what the 30-06 does and ammo is almost as widely available. That doesn't matter much if you're handloading, but you can still get stuck without your ammo, and then it does matter. A Remington 700 BDL or CDL in 308 with a Leupold variable should weigh about 8.5 pounds and would give you the weight you need to eat up a lot of recoil. 150-grain (or lighter) premium or super-premium bullets and a top-flight recoil pad should make recoil pretty manageable while still giving you the punch you need for North America's larger big-game species.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by okie john
Okie John,

I have a nice set of Zeiss binoculars and a Leica rangefinder, so I will check those. My scopes consist of Leupold, Nightforce, Zeiss, and a few Weavers mixed in. The boots are a great which I would probably screw up.

The '06 rifle is a great suggestion, but I would have to download to use it. I had to take a break from shooting and hunting for medical reasons and now that I am back into it I am starting to realize how much pain I blocked out. I can go out today and shot my 243, 6mm, or 260 and not feel bad afterwards. I think I know my limitations and I don't want to condition myself to ignore the pain. I used to shoot much bigger stuff and I may again someday, but right now I don't want to try. You are right though about the availability of ammunition and I may get stuck having to use someone else's rifle on a trip. Thank you for your help I may end with a bigger caliber in a few years.

I didn't realize you had a medical limitation. I hope you feel better soon.

The 308 can do a lot of what the 30-06 does and ammo is almost as widely available. That doesn't matter much if you're handloading, but you can still get stuck without your ammo, and then it does matter. A Remington 700 BDL or CDL in 308 with a Leupold variable should weigh about 8.5 pounds and would give you the weight you need to eat up a lot of recoil. 150-grain (or lighter) premium or super-premium bullets and a top-flight recoil pad should make recoil pretty manageable while still giving you the punch you need for North America's larger big-game species.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Okie John

Thank you for the kind words. I will keep in mind the 308 Winchester. I used to have two heavy barrel Savage rifles at one time and I did kill several deer with them.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It is a good one and several other members here agree too.

IC B3

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PennDog
barm,

Not sure I did?? but when I was doing more hunting (with family and friends) and less worrying about if I had just the right rifles it seemed like a good start wink

You really can't go wrong with what people have suggested as far as the calibers - just do it, go hunting and don't look back smile

PennDog

PennDog,

I will do as you say and go hunting and not look back.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ok. I have made some decisions on what I am going to keep and send on its way. My core battery will consist of:

22 LR
221 Fireball
260 Remington

The 22 LR is ubiquitous and would take care all of my small game situations.

I am going to sell the 22 Magnum and 22 Hornet. My 221 Fireball can be loaded down to replicate their performance and with the Lil'Gun powder I am right on the heels of the 223 Remington with 40 grain bullets. Plus it has a 1-12" twist which is perfect for the longer polymer tipped varmint bullets I like.

The remaining rifles of:

222 Remington
223 Remington
204 Ruger
22-250 Remington
243 Winchester
6mm Remington

are going to have a competition to see who stays. The 222 Remington with its 1-14" twist 24" barrel and the 223 Remington with it's 1-9" twist 20" barrel are going to have a shoot out. My wife was kind enough to buy my a chronograph for Christmas and I am going to put both rifles through their paces and compare the accuracy and velocity of both. The one I declare the winner will stay and the other will go.

The same thing will happen for the 204 Ruger and 22-250 Remington. The winner will become my long range groundhog rifle. Since I have never used the 204 Ruger in the field I will shoot some whistle pigs with it before I decide. I have plenty of experience with the 22-250 in that regard.

The 243 Winchester with it's 24" barrel and the 6mm Remington with it's 22" barrel will also compete for a spot. I will try a mix of varmint weight bullets and big game bullets. Like drover suggested they could replicate what the 22-250 can do. After all I started my varminting passion with a Ruger 77 tang safety in 243 Winchester.

So after it's sorted out I would have:

22 LR
221 Fireball
222 Remington or 223 Remington
204 Ruger or 22-250 Remington
243 Winchester or 6mm Remington
260 Remington

This would leave me with a battery of six possibly five depending on my 243/6mm competition with varmint bullets. Even if I couldn't make a cut on some, it wouldn't be the end of the world to have a total of 9. It would still be manageable compared to the dozens which I already sold.

I would also have room, if sometime in the future I want to add one of the '06 size cartridges or a 308 Winchester.

Thank you to everyone who posted and I wish you all much luck and happiness in the new year.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by centershot
Originally Posted by utah708
Originally Posted by JDK
22 LR

I can't go that far--a mild mannered, not-so-loud .22 centerfire would be handy for groundhogs without scaring the neighbors.

Does such a thing as a not-so-loud centerfire exist? .17HMR is very useful around neighbors. 30-06 does nice work on deer and elk.

I used the 17 HMR a few years ago on groundhogs and I didn't feel it had enough to get the job done. You really needed a head shot or neck shot to drop a big groundhog.

Humm, shot this one at about 150 yards right behind the shoulder - his tail flipped a couple times and that was it. Similar results on about 100 others last spring. Wicked on Jack Rabbits also.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Centershot,

That is a nice sized rockchuck. Our groundhogs are bigger than rockchucks. Lots of good food, fields of alfalfa, orhcards, and the like make them super fat. Maybe one of the members from Pennsylvania will chime in, they really grow them big up there. I remember the largest groundhog I shot it was when I was in high school. This was long before cell phones with cameras and the internet. My usual course of action was to pick 'em and throw them back in their hole. This pig was huge. At the time I measured him with 4 of my hand width's across the back. That is roughly 15" across the back. If there was a 20+ lb groundhog he was it. Too bad I didn't know how special it was or that I would be talking about it to a guy in Idaho on the internet nearly 30 years later. My cousin and I used to shoot them with our deer rifles at that time too. We shot several with 7mm Remington Magnums and a 300 Weatherby Magnum where they literally had their guts hanging out dragging their body which was nearly cut in two back to their holes. Pound for pound the toughest animal I have ever seen.

Let's get back to the 17 HMR. Full disclosure, I am an unabashed hater of the 17 HMR. I bought a Marlin the first year they came out and used it for squirrels and groundhogs. It would destroy way too much meat on a squirrel and lacked the "ass" to anchor groundhogs unless you had perfect shot placement. I hate it. My cousin who I mentioned earlier feels the same way you do. He loves it. Go figure. Different strokes for different folks. He now has a 17 Hornet and it has replaced the 17 HMR.

Here is a pic of a small one I shot in the spring when I was out turkey hunting. They sure are good eating.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I see you have a 260. You need to add a 6.5 creedmoor to better cover your 6.5 needs.

Hope this helps smile

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Taco280AI
22LR

If you reload, the 260 can do anything the 243 can, including lighter recoil. The 260 will be fully capable of taking an elk with no fuss.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Trystan
I see you have a 260. You need to add a 6.5 creedmoor to better cover your 6.5 needs.

Hope this helps smile

Trystan

You are not helping. I need a 12 step program grin I saw CZ is going to chamber their 527 in 6.5 Grendel and I feel weak.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
DakotaDeer,

I do reload and plan to for the 260. I was thinking those 100 grain bullets would be great for deer and give me recoil close to my 243.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
The last couple of months I have been downsizing what I have in rifles. I had way too much overlap and frankly maintaining them was becoming a pain. I think I am close to an ideal battery for my type of hunting and shooting. All of the rifles are bolt actions and there are a mix of stainless and blued and sporter and heavy barrel. The manufacturer's are a mix of Anschutz, CZ, and Remington. I thought about listing each, but it may muddy the waters, so I will just list the calibers:

22 LR Weatherby XXII aka Anschutz 64 sporter blued
22 Magnum CZ 455 sporter blued
22 Hornet CZ 527 sporter blued
221 Fireball CZ 527 sporter blued
222 Remington Remington 700 sporter blued
223 Remington Remington 7 sporter stainless
204 Ruger CZ 527 heavy barrel blued
22-250 Remington Remington 700 heavy barrel stainless
243 Winchester Remington 700 sporter stainless
6mm Remington Remington 700 sporter blued
260 Remington Remington 7 sporter stainless

I hunt squirrels, rabbits, groundhogs, and deer. I also plan to punch some paper and make some trips out west for mule deer, elk, and antelope. If it was your rifle battery, what would you change, and why? Would you leave it alone? Add to it?

I keep going back and forth justifying each, but when I look at it from afar, I still see overlap. I need an objective eye from the 'fire.
Those highlighted I would keep. I would add a .30/06 and either a .338/06 or a .35 Whelen.

My Weatherby/Anschutz rifle is a keeper and I don't see it going anywhere. Thanks for the input.

That's exactly the one that needs to go. Better send it to me immediately.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
smile

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

592 members (10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 257 roberts, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,162 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,796
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.