Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Ha! Yeah I have no doubt there are a few bucks in Bath Co. I'd be proud to shoot, but just like you said they are too few and far between..........I would camp on Pads Creek and mostly hunt Rough Mtn. and some on Mill Mtn........It is some beautiful country, your lucky to live in that area.........Hb

A friend/classmate of my son who has family ties to Bath killed a monster on Rough Mtn. 3 seasons back. 140 range.
In VA there is also very good NF hunting in Pulaski, Bland, Montgomery and Giles counties. Plenty of primitive camping options etc.
One basically just has to go past the last bootprints seen to find some nice deer there.

FJB & FJT
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lack of clearcuts isn't specific to your area. Same problem here. Started with greenies screaming about the spotted owl and got logging shut down. Logging never recovered, nor did all the associated industries. They offered us fast food and tourism instead. People relocating here from California brought construction money for a while. We had a few high tech companies start or move here, otherwise Oregon would have completely died. Lots of logging communities dried up and have suffered for 3 decades now.

Not only the loss of clearcuts has hurt deer and elk, but voter mandated loss of hound hunting for cats and bears. Big game has suffered to be certain, all at the hands of greenies that told us they knew best.

LOL
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah, i dont envy you people that have to live with the west coast tree huggin Liberals......California is probly the worst state to live in...........Good luck......Hb

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The forest service area manager or whatever told me that all it took was one dissenting letter to delay or stop a proposed clearcut and that is why they do not happen any more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gophergunner
You drove right through some of the best deer hunting in North America to get to Ohio. Pennsylvania has plenty of public land opportunities. Two ML seasons-one for all ML's, and one for flintlocks only. Take your pick, buy a tag over the counter, and go have some fun.

Pennsylvania would be #48 on my list of the lower 48

The Sunday bull [bleep] is reason enough

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
A chunk of GW/J National Forrest [in southern VA] is just dead standing oak these days due to the gypsy moth. No foliage at all in many areas. I would think that there is much undergrowth emerging there.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tedthorn
You drove right through some of the best deer hunting in North America to get to Ohio. Pennsylvania has plenty of public land opportunities. Two ML seasons-one for all ML's, and one for flintlocks only. Take your pick, buy a tag over the counter, and go have some fun.

Yeah, I certainly can't argue with that, but it's very good hunting, with tons of public land. Another nice feature is that the same license you buy to hunt deer is also good for small game and turkey, during their respective seasons.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bperdue21
The forest service area manager or whatever told me that all it took was one dissenting letter to delay or stop a proposed clearcut and that is why they do not happen any more.

That's not correct.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

VA still has some stupid Sunday restrictions as well. We're working on that.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yeah, I certainly can't argue with that, but it's very good hunting, with tons of public land. Another nice feature is that the same license you buy to hunt deer is also good for small game and turkey, during their respective seasons.

I share a lease in Northern Missouri with 4 men from PA....they can't stand hunting in PA but do it out of convenience

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
north central PA has tens of thousands of acres of public ground and some nice state run campgrounds. potter, tioga and clinton county. the deer herd has been coming back there from what i hear due to lack of hunting pressure. it would be a bit tough to go in blind but if you did a little research you could do well. research the kettle creek valley and slate run areas.

My diploma is a DD214
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Thats a stupid policy but im not surprised at all..........Hb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4ager

That's not correct.
Thanks for clearing that up. I hope folks in this part of the country are paying as close attention to the attempted transfer of federal lands as folks out west are. I'd rather cuss/discuss management of those lands than lament the loss of them...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if you own the land or have the permission of the owner, hinge cutting can be very productive.

( and Ohio has no deer at all, not one. you're wasting your time. don't even bother looking. consider this a public service announcement!.......(mine, mine, all mine!)) smile

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by pointer
I'd rather cuss/discuss management of those lands than lament the loss of them...

A big +1.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
I'd rather cuss/discuss management of those lands than lament the loss of them...

A big +1.

Amen.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's not correct.
Thanks for clearing that up. I hope folks in this part of the country are paying as close attention to the attempted transfer of federal lands as folks out west are. I'd rather cuss/discuss management of those lands than lament the loss of them...

Folks out this way are starting to wake up and pay attention.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That's not correct.

Folks out this way are starting to wake up and pay attention.
For the states with National Forests, they need to be on the horn with their representatives asking them to oppose HR 622. A bill by Chaffetz that states:

"To terminate the law enforcement functions of the Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management and to provide block grants to States for the enforcement of Federal law on Federal land under the jurisdiction of these agencies, and for other purposes."

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

301 members (1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 28 invisible), 1,782 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,632
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.